Weather Notifications

So our Airbnb is located in an area where the weather can be unpredictable, such as snow storms, icy conditions & tornado’s/thunderstorms in the spring/summer. Do you notify your guests of impending weather or rely on them to know to watch the news/weather channel for updates. I am not sure if some individuals know what a tornado siren is what to do in case it goes off. Because we have regular testing of the sirens during tornado season I do post a sign giving them the day and times that they go off so they don’t panic. Any suggestions/comments will be welcome.

Yes, I warn my guests of impending weather that might really affect them. We don’t have too many weather extremes, however, so I don’t have to do this frequently.

1 Like

I let my guests know about any issues that might affect them. I think that’s an important part of our job.

2 Likes

Yes, I also let them know about road closures, events going on that might affect their travel, etc., etc.

2 Likes

Yes I do too. Warning in spring about dust storms on I-10 that reduce visibility, sometimes resulting in closures. I also tell them about the speed cops in that area. I remind guests about the time change, especially in summer when AZ is not on daylight savings, and more. That’s the kind of attention to detail that costs us very little but can pay off with repeat bookings and good reviews.

4 Likes

I absolutely let them know. I sent my current guests a long list of storm prep tips including parking near the end of the driveway so they could easily shovel themselves out, filling the tub with water so they could flush the toilet - should the power go out, and knowing where all the emergency lights are.

3 Likes

You can used “saved messages” so you don’t have to type a new one every time. I have one for storms because facing the sea the rain comes in horizontal and the glass doors rattle something fierce. I helpfully point out that the house has stood for 40 years so they should have no fear of it blowing down.

2 Likes

Sadly, at many times of year Seattle is rainy (big surprise to you all, I’m sure, LOL). So I also warn guests when the weather is going to be unusually sunny &/or warm!! I’ll tell them which days of their trip will be best for outdoor activities, taking a ferry, enjoying the views, al fresco dining, when a sunset will probably be spectacular, etc., etc. We have to take advantage here when we do get nice weather so I try to help the guests plan their stay that way.

1 Like

if we have adverse weather conditions we always warn our guests. Just in case they bring the wrong type of clothes. this make their vacation much more pleasant. It’s virtually zero cost to us, so it’s worth doing. Especially if its going to disrupt their arrival to the property, we may tell them to book a taxi, due to strike action etc…

1 Like

Hah! See if a hotel does THAT! :wink:

You can me a giggle, I had a guest ( from Alaska) who wanted to know what to wear in winter to a wedding in Nebraska, she said their attire was Carhart and boats…lol… I gave her some suggestions but told her to keep track of the weather as it could be light coat and 50 or heavy winter attire at -15, you just never know and it changes from day to day.

1 Like

What you’re doing sounds best: post signs about the siren tests and what to do in a real emergency.

If you get the sense that “someone isn’t from 'round here” it can be helpful to inform them about your region’s weather, especially if it poses a safety hazard. I find it really helpful if hosts give info about roads that require 4x4 or special attention in bad weather. Doubly so if cell coverage is poor.

1 Like

I wonder if hotel operators are always comparing themselves to Airbnbs?

1 Like