We have to shut down

They want you to install this yes :joy:

2 Likes

Why have you got my phone?

3 Likes

Debthecat this should give you a chuckle!

3 Likes

Like what would you do privately ? You would put alarms in Windows and doors that go on poool side? Or why would you put fence around your own pool? I don’t even host children .
Or would you hard wire smoke detector ?
I have battery operated smoke detectors but it’s not enough for license .

1 Like

True…well I don’t do less than 30 days now anyway …these new regulations just convinced me even more

1 Like

Most of the items mentioned, like hard-wired smoke alarms and fenced in pools, are things that most rentals have anyway aren’t they? Our STR insurance more or less insists on these things anyway.

As @Chris says, it’s levelling the playing field. If hosts are operating without all the legalities then yes, they can charge less. Lucky them … as they can also get fined, closed down or sued to smithereens if a guest is injured. And I think that most of us agree that if we know that a loved one is staying in a rental, we’d prefer it to have hard-wired smoke alarms, working fire extinguishers, legal wiring and other safety aspects that the authories insist on, wouldn’t we?

Bear in mind too that we will outlast those illegal hosts who will be either forced to close or decide to close when they suddenly realise that being an Airbnb hosts isn’t a road to immense riches :slight_smile:

I .not sure how people host illegally nowadays. They will be discovered for sure

1 Like

These folks just did.

JF

1 Like

They’re not expensive to buy, and not expensive to fit, at least not in UK or Spain.

We’ve had them in all of our LTR’s since way before they became compulsory and have smoke alarms in both STR’s here, even though they’re not a requirement for our licence.

JF

We had to fit them some years ago but interestingly, it wasn’t because of a legal requirement for STR (that came later) it was an edict from the HOA. And those guys have a lot of power.

But yes, it wasn’t expensive at all.

Hard wired smoke alarms have been code for all new construction for awhile. These are things that any conscientious person would want in their rental regardless of legalities. It also makes perfect sense to me to have inspections and licensing, not just of STR but of LTR as well.

We still don’t know what the requirements are for a cabin in rural MT though.

2 Likes

Here in US 800$ for all rooms. I am perfectly fine with not hard wired. Just check battery timely .

2 Likes

How many rooms is that?

JF

Its 6 all together…

So about $130 or so per room, which is not dissimilar to UK/Spain, and (in my opinion) cheap at the price. If it were me doing it, I’d also add in a heat detector for the kitchen, similar price to an SD and saves the “burning toast” alarms :slight_smile:

LTR legislation in Scotland is such that hardwired SD’s must be fitted in the hallway(s) and “main living area(s)”, all interlinked and with a heat detector in the kitchen. We were about £275ish including labour when we upgraded one two bedroom flat a couple of years ago.

JF

2 Likes

Well I am not willing to spend all this money on something that is not nessesary for me . It’s not that I don’t have them …I just don’t have them hard wired. In city of Hallandale …just minutes away from my town it’s not even required . If it’s for safety of people then why not impose same regulations on every rental. Makes no sense that they target only short terms. It’s still same people. .just staying longer

3 Likes

We were obliged to have them, even in our own homes.

3 Likes

we have decide to just shut down, because all the regulations they are asking for would be too much for a little cabin. The motel folks have cabins also at $125. a night for just a bed and bath. They hate air bnb and are working on shutting all of them. It is sad because we so enjoyed all the folks that came and enjoyed a stay in the woods. Things are getting so political now and those that run things are so crooked and do what only those that pay them off tell them.

I would have loved to know what those were.

Best of luck in the future.

1 Like

Here, the inspector required them to to mounted on wall via brackets at about 5 ft high and nearest the cottage exit door or near the exit from kitchen in larger unit.
I think having them under sink is flawed and so does local inspector. He said you want to be grabbing it on your way out without having to bend down.
I take them once yearly to get reinspected (reduces cost vs onsite visit) and have to buy new set every 7 years.

Re smoke alarms: Here, existing units like mine only need a 10yr sealed battery type unit.

2 Likes