Warning! Don't depend on Airbnb!

You’re unlikely to find you own website in Google searches because as soon as you use the words ‘vacation’, ‘rental’, apartment’ and so on the first results will be paid for ads.

They will be Airbnb, Flipkey, Trip Advisor etc.

I am result number four for ‘Fort Lauderdale: For the Business Traveller’ but who on earth is going to search for that exact term? (I mean my own site and not Airbnb).

What we have to remember is that Google is very smart. This is especially the case if you use any Google services such as Gmail or G+. Google knows where you are. For example, search for ‘pizza takeout’. Google will show me pizza places in Fort Lauderdale. If you’re in NYC, it will show you pizza takeouts there.

You can search Google on two laptops that are side by side in the same room and the results will be different.

There are so many factors that are taken into consideration when you (or our potential guests) search so there’s no point in looking to see where you are in SERPs. Everyone sees different results.

1 Like

Good stuff j. Always a good day when one learns something.

2 Likes

I’ve been finding units on Air and using key words in the title to find owners’ independent websites. If your title has a specific phrase or you name your property, it’s quite easy to find. However, I was surprised to find that one site basically raised their nightly rate to absorb Air’s cut!

I think you guys have the wrong idea of the purpose of a website.

It is not meant to attract new guests trough search engines. There is very little chance a potential new guest will stumble upon your site.

A website is meant for referral, to give information and build trust, after they have been made aware of you.
You use your website on business cards, forums, adds, facebook etc etc.

@konacoconutz
10% can be a lot. When guests have to pay 4 figures, they can save a lot by booking outside AirBnB. On top of that, Air wants the whole amount at booking. When guests book direct, they pay 20% upon booking. And the remainder 2 - 4 weeks ahead (depending on the listing).

I now have situation where a guests wants to book. A new AirBnB user, but he does not want to pay €3000 upfront to AirBnB for February next year. So now I have the dilemma, should I break AirBnB rules and have the guest contact me outside AirBnB. Or loose the potential guest. This potential guest is lost to AirBnB anyway.

2 Likes

I have said to guests that I have a website with the same name as the listing if they want different conditions…they have been very happy when it s a big amount

1 Like

(Script appears screw up, repeating post below)

Of course they would, it only makes sense. I did that to, when i did booking.com. 15% was tons of money, there is noway i would loose that profit just by doing it through a different website.

I have a price for all platforms that depends of how much I am earning. Basically I want to earn the same for every platforms and own websites . So for booking.com clients are paying the 15% extra of course.

Of course I say that they can get better terms if they book directly, if they want to come back

1 Like
It would be helpful, perhaps even necessary, to have a 'name'; and any place that can develop its own brand name can then be easily found on the web and could in time have the option of flying solo, just in case. 
Besides the roughly 10% booking fee, Airbnb's insistence on 100% up front is also what makes it vulnerable specially with some high-end listings, imagine those with high-end listings & booked well in advance. Also, there is no guarantee its 3% host charge will be the policy forever.
No harm in thinking of new ways, just in case.

Right… I get the difference. But I think a lot of people might be under the mistaken impression that your own website is actually going to be searchable and stands a chance in a sea of search results dominated by professionals such as Air and FlopKey.

You have an established B&B I think you have stated, so you are way ahead of all of us in terms of marketing. :smile:

I think people can find it if you are for exemple register with google business.

I agree with you. You will be able to build a website and you will be able to get some traffic, but you won´t be able to build a brand so easily as Airbnb, Homeaway and other VR websites. Building the brand will be the most challenging thing for you. Airbnb is everywhere while you and your listing belong to a tiny specific location. However your own website could be a great step towards building your own network of guests and start a referral program. You get your guest by Airbnb and then you get his family/friends by using your own website. That is something to consider.

Airbnb´s huge reputation is a safe factor for the one that books with you but it will never be as stronger as a recomendation to one of your friends. That is a win scenario for you and if you have your own website you will be able to capitalize it better.

2 Likes

The point of the ‘brand’ mention is to give your place a ~name~, nothing more, so it would facilitate people finding you on the web, if they knew the name of your place. A web site is really an electronic business card, cool to have one if have the time and inclination.

Why I gave my place a name: "Bird Island Placencia’.

1 Like

I meant “brand” in how valuable is your website to others. It matters the name but much more how they get to you, how confident they are to use it and how lilkely they the are to refer it to their friends. Airbnb has a solid brand and one imposibble to compete against so join them but once the guest is at your home, you have the opportunity to share him your website and that is a way to grow your brand awareness within your guest´s social network. This isn´t Mearns´s home found in a google search but it´s the home were one of our friends have stayed. Much more powerful than a google search and Airbnb.

Well not interested in defeating Airbnb per se, but walking in parallel with them, just in case. The reason I do get 1/3 direct inquiries vs from Airbnb, it is probably because when viewers do read the reviews in Airbnb, they may gain confidence about dealing directly with the host. Or…

Perhaps they are a bunch of cheapos trying to safe a buck. :wink:

Agree, keep your prices, ignore the “tips”. ABB price tips indicate I should be getting $26-36 per night for month of September. Have 6 nights books at $80/night.

1 Like

I already have 16 nights booked in October from $200-$250/night. I just checked Air’s price tips and they are suggesting I take down my prices 25-34%. I don’t think so …

2 Likes

But Sandy, they want you to be fully booked 31/31, just like a hotel. You wouldn’t rather have that? :rolling_eyes:

Actually @Johnny, it doesn’t seem that you read my original post. I’m sure vacationhosting.com cannot rescue a host from all the threats I had in mind. If my rental room is damaged in a hurricane, or if short term rentals are outlawed by my city a vacation hosting member will be in the same dire straits as the airbnb host.

A swing and a miss for you.

2 Likes

Yes, actually, but not at a discount :slight_smile: