VRBO Reservation Modification

I am facing the possibility of a VRBO guest seeking to modify a reservation within 14 days of check in. Is there a ‘trick’ here? If I permit the modification, can the guest cancel without penalty? My understanding is that this would not work a a trick on Airbnb because within 14 days of check-in.

Should I just make an additional charge rather than accept the VRBO reservation modifcation?

It’s hard to advise you without knowing more information, such as your cancellation policy and what the request is.

Sorry. This is our VRBO policy:

100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date
50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date

The reservation modification is to check in a day early, within five days of the check in.

Under the Airbnb strict policy, the guest could not modify the reservation within 14 days of check-in and then subsequently within 48 hours of the modification cancel without penalty. I assume the same is true with VRBO but didn’t know if there was a guest ‘trick’ here on VRBO.

So they want to add a day at the beginning of their stay and it’s less than a week away?

No trick on this. I’m pretty sure there is a way to send them a request for money. I’d do that and just block the day before their reservation starts instead of messing with changing the reservation. And require the guest to pay within 24 hours to get the extra day

That was my plan since if there were a trick that would avoid it.

Thanks.

I’m confused - I thought you were asking if this was a trick by the guest to get to cancel penalty-free. Are you asking if there is a better way to do this than what I suggested?

1 Like

I didn’t know if there was a trick here. [Still don’t]

I have two choices: 1) accept the modification, accepting the potential (if any) of being subject to a trick, or 2) finessing by imposing the additional charge, which avoids the modification and any possible known (by me) trick.

I think we’re done here unless you or others KNOW that accepting a modification wouldn’t subject me to a subsequent cancellation without penalty.