Virgin Host Here! Wondering To Twin or Not to Twin?

I am in Atlanta, GA and I am planning my first Airbnb in my new apartment and ideally would like to host solo female travelers, or actors coming to Atlanta for pilot season, and the like (I work in the film industry). My spare bedroom for guests can accommodate a twin/full/queen bed however I have in my possession a Twin size set up. What are your honest thoughts about a room nicely prepared with a Twin size bed? I ask because I currently sleep in a twin comfortably but I do understand not everyone can find comfort in any size bed, even if they are crashing for a couple nights out of town for a concert, a city getaway, or an acting gig. I’m not looking to host conference goers or business travelers. If I market my place for the solo traveler of this type, do you think a Twin bed will suffice?

You are going to miss out on couples traveling I think. If you can possibly get at least a queen that would be good. Too bad the mattress companies aren’t still running their free promos here! :rofl::rofl:

That being said, I’d recommend the Nest Bedding product over the Tuft and Needle, but some people here really favor the Tuft. Personal preference I guess.

Then you can get an inexpensive platform off amazon.

Many American adults will find a twin bed too small.

1 Like

Your potential price point will have some bearing on the bed size. What are you imagining you will be able to charge your target market?

Thanks for the feed back so far…

I was only wanting to limit my place to solo travelers, and females only because I would feel more comfortable having just one other person in my space when I am here (and when I am not).

I am aiming for the economy-minded guest who is open to stay in a dwelling that has slight bohemian essence, but will receive all the perks and hospitality of a traditional bnb, a la coffee and pastries set up, stocked complementary toiletries, bottled water, in addition to the internet and entertainment standards. I was thinking the $35-$40 a night range.

Thoughts?..

Go for it - you’ve got the bed setup already so see if you get any nibbles.

2 Likes

$35 a night in Atlanta? Twin… and if you make a bunch of money, then consider upgrading to a larger bed. Use your social network to sell your place to your target market and you will have as many guests as you want.

And welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight:-)

I think the smaller the bed, the more you’re limiting your market. However it sounds like you’re trying to target a specific group anyway so I don’t see why a twin bed wouldn’t work for you.

1 Like

Sounds quite cheap for what they get but I don’t know about comparable prices. By the way you don’t need to provide a breakfast - many hosts don’t. So that could save you on costs.

1 Like

Putting the bed issue aside, I don’t know that Airbnb or those looking for a room would look kindly on you just renting to single women. It sounds discriminatory or sexist to me. I realize maybe you feel unsafe but then maybe this is not for you. I don’t think you can pick and choose the guests you want.

Actually, for a shared space, specifying gender is not considered to be discriminatory by AirBNB. This is clearly stated in the TOS.

3 Likes

I’ve seen many, many listings with a twin bed as I’m often a solo traveler myself. There are advantages: it’s paid for; linens are less expensive; it helps discourage pairs from trying to book despite your limit; it leaves more room for other things like a desk or chair. Tons of travelers and adventurers are used to twin size sleeping having done it in dorm rooms, hostels, camping trips and more.

I think it’s a perfectly adequate set up for your target market.

2 Likes

This is particularly true if you’re hosting actors. There is always an obscene amount of food on film/tv sets.

Putting the discrimination issue aside, you certainly can pick and choose the guests you want, people post about it all time here. I know it seems odd to say Airbnb won’t allow discrimination and then allow women only listings. The sad fact is that the statistics are there to back up women feeling fearful of men; not just sex crimes but all crimes.

1 Like

In Ireland we call a room with 2 standard 6 feet single beds a Twin Room, what would you consider this as an American ? or other Nationalities ?

What size is a twin bed ? we have single, double, queen, superking sizes in beds no twin.

A twin is the same as a single.

1 Like

Thanks smtucker, I could see US people getting confused with a title twin room, I might need to change it to double/twin room, it would make it a little clearer.

In Europe a twin is a double room with two single beds.

I wouldn’t necessarily change how you describe it unless most of your visitors are from the US.

I do get a lot of US guests especially in the spring/summer, funny it never dawned of me before the subtle differences in the English language in hosting. I have changed it to a double/twin room.