Verifications of all guests, not just booking guest

Airbnb from what I know don’t currently have verification for all guests. I reckon it would be safer and more sensible for Airbnb make compulsory all guests giving I.D, regardless which guest book. Yes it would be more admin for Airbnb and that means more operating costs and less profit(cynical but true) it would be safer for both Host and guest if this was done. What are your views Discuss

Another thing to consider is that while the primary guest has to agree to and read your house rules, the secondary one does not, nor does the secondary guest agree to follow them.

1 Like

I have had the issue where the guest herself may have been fine, but two of her friends were jerks. Harder to review -

But to the topic - this is true - I take groups of up to 5 - the guest who booked is attentive to me usually but often the other friends are just clueless. They are following their leader. If they had to submit some kind of ID and/or sign-off on the rules as the booking-guest now does, that may help.

I think when traveling to a foreign country, such as China, I had to show passports for everyone in my family when checking-in, so from that experience it doesn’t seem like it’s such a stretch.

But, I don’t see it happening. FIRST THEY NEED TO GIVE ME A LINE ITEM FOR SALES AND OCCUPANCY TAXES!!!

Good point. I have added this to my house rules:

Anyone who books the suite must also be staying. The person whom the booking is under agrees to identify all members of their party and assume full responsibility for those guests. Please ensure all members of your party have read the House Rules. No unauthorized guests.

What do you think?

I’m a pretty forgiving host - there’s not much guests can do that will surprise or offend me. My place rarely has fewer than 5 and I have capped it at 8 now. (I have 3 business travelers there now. Thank you Airbnb for your new Business Travel initiative!! They love my place and I love them!)

But I don’t tolerate noise or disrespect for my neighbors. In my listing I keep rules simple but make it clear that the booking guest is responsible for all guests’ actions. I have a $250 fine for noise complaints/violations (9pm quiet time) - it’s posted in my rules, my listing description, my welcome email and in the house. To book you have to acknowledge that you understand this and you, as the organizer, are responsible to communicate this to the guests. If I have a larger party in town that looks to be wilder than I would have expected then I whip out printed copies and hand it to each person.

(I’m also in the process of getting my rules translated into Spanish and Mandarin, fyi. I believe this will help with some of the language barriers when it comes to house rules.)

All in all I’m happy to get large parties because of the extra fees and they’re happy to be in a cool, roomy place near the action - as long as the action is quiet then we’re good.

JSquared - I like that - it is very helpful to me and I appreciate it. Most guests are cool - I had a family of 4 for a week and hardly heard a peep out of them. It’s a little tricky for me because my guests are in my basement and I know they hear our noises, too -but we try to be very quiet, don’t yell, don’t let doors or drawers slam, don’t wear noisy shoes, etc. Some groups just feel so comfortable they yell back and forth to each other - and yelling in a foreign language sounds much worse than when it’s in a language that is understood.

I have started to emphasize at check-in the need to be thoughtful. I like your ideas and will put them into play.

Would you send me a link to your listing?

This is a late entry to this thread, but I think that requiring ID from everyone who is staying in your rental is a no-brainer. And at a minimum, I would write down the number of the identity documents - passport, drivers license, whatever. It might be better to make copies of the documents, and this is common in some parts of the world, but it also seems to raise some hackles.

And don’t rely on Airbnb verification. The “verification”, such as it is, is certainly something that is done by machine. They might have some rudimentary pattern checking facilities - one could experiment by creating an account and trying to upload department store cards, for example, to see what happens.