VENT - There Goes the Neighborhood (Homecoming Kids Party with Attempted Breakins)

VENT/RANT about the wholesaling of neighborhood homes with corporations and individuals as property management companies owning multiple ABBs and not watching them. This is why ABB is getting a black eye and Chesky needs to rethink the direction his company is going in - ALL STR platforms need a rethink. I’ve never liked the corporate owners of multiple STR properties in a neighborhood. It brings down property values and now we have had a 3rd party booking and the police here on my little street (gosh, I miss the cows and tomato farms that used to surround us).

My formerly hidden, slightly off-the-beaten-path yet halfway between Sarasota and Tampa neighborhood now has multiple AirBnBs on every block and all are owned by property management companies. They were purchased from the hedge fund companies (Open Door, etc) when they didn’t sell for the inflated purchase prices. I have another set of thoughts on the economics of the hedge funds in that market, but that’s not today’s rant.

Recently, a home up the street was sold to one of those companies (owner has 5 homes within a 3 block radius, all newly acquired). It’s been rented out for a couple of weeks, but I didn’t realize it was an AirBnB because up until this weekend, the guests have been adults and quiet.

This past weekend they rented to kids for Homecoming Weekend and the kids (shockingly, ha!) threw parties and ran amok on the streets.

Friday night, 10pm ish and I’m watching TV in the front room. I hear noise in the street (we’re a quiet, family oriented residential area) and go outside (phone in hand) to find 7 kids in 2 cars trying to break into the clearly empty house across the street. I yell at them to get lost and get sassed in return (of course, figured I would get grief) and called the police (who never came). Kids go up the street and hang out in the driveway of the ABB (which I thought was an empty house). Police never come. Kids are loud. Finally leave around 1 am (I find out later the actual renter arrived then to let them in).

Saturday night it’s even worse. Not only are the original 7 kids in 2 cars racing up and down the street, more kids in more cars are blocking the entrance to the street (it’s a cul de sac so one way in, one way out), partying in the street, and walking up to the empty house across from mine trying to get in - again - (all homes are clearly numbered) and knocking on doors to find the party that they passed to get further down the block (smh on how high they were). Noise is amazing, and the police officer who lives down the street calls it in and the police come and shut down the party. In the meantime, we’re chasing off the kids who are trying to park to go to the party (they had to drive past the police cars at the front of the street and still wanted to party!! stoned out of their gourds) telling them it’s all over and to go home.

The entire neighborhood is outside, on the streets, telling kids not to park on lawns, block driveways, and to slow the f-k down and stop speeding.

Yes, I found the owner. Yes, I contacted him. Yes, I’ve contacted ABB (awaiting CS to respond - ha!!). He pushed back and said he was there at midnight with his wife and daughter. He wasn’t. I was outside his house at midnight (with a bunch of other folks) and it was all kids cleaning up and shutting down. Instead of apologizing to an entire street and saying he’d like to meet us all and introduce himself and make sure it didn’t happen again, he pushed back the blame. Saying he didn’t know (bs), didn’t realize the kids would party on homecoming weekend, etc. Said “guest” didn’t check in until 1am (probably, but doesn’t negate 7 kids partying in the driveway from 10:30pm to 1am). No apology, just gaslighting bs when told he now had people out for his STR being shut down and kicked out of the street.

Because of my status as a 6 year homeshare host - which I told all the neighbors about at the start so they’d feel comfortable with the different cars and people coming around - they’re all looking at me to get this guy shut down and now they want a law passed to limit ABBs owned by property management companies and limit the number on every street and every neighborhood. Which, frankly, I’ve always believed should be done. We’re 1,100 family homes on canals opening to Tampa Bay. We don’t need 3 of every 12 homes being STRs. The percentage is higher on some streets.

I know some folks here will flame me. Go ahead. The house across the way is owned by the 3rd generation of a family that comes and goes at-will and have been here for over 50 years. They don’t deserve to have their home ransacked by bored kids because the “guy with the door code” didn’t show up for 3 hours. I’m the 2nd generation homeowner. Most homes on the street have been passed down to families or sold to friends. We know our neighbors. We go to holiday parties and each others’ pool parties. Everyone in the 1,100 homes bought here because the elementary school is walking distance for the kids, the nature park is max 2 miles away, manatee center is around the block. Everyone I speak to when I’m out and about HATES the STRs run by property managers or corporations. I have a LTR right now so my ABB is on hiatus right now, but folks know I ran one and man… I’m getting heat to figure out how to shut down something that was so special and still is to so many of us, our fabulous guests included.

So, constructive thoughts on what to do appreciated. Criticism of how my neighbors and I dealt with this is arm chair quarterbacking (for the international set, that’s giving the ref and players sh**t well after the fact and the play is over - not helpful and you’re not here so keep it to yourself). Thoughts on what’s going on in your areas with the proliferation of corporate-owned STRs in quiet family neighborhoods - appreciated. Personal attacks about living in Florida, the guns you assume we all have, how the kids could have been shot (yes, a possibility if they picked the wrong house, but that’s the breaks during a B&E felony), and how whatever could have been done better is a waste of time.

What would you like to see going forward so you can keep your STR as local laws are cracking down without understanding the value we long-term hosts bring to an area? How do you feel about some 30something with no idea of personal responsibility co-owning or co-managing 5 rentals and not being responsive? Or the hedge fund management companies? Should they have to divest?

Yes, it’s NIMBY, except it’s not. The house across the canal from me has been an STR for at least 6 years and the owners are ON IT when anyone contacts them about an issue. Police were called once for a noise complaint at 4am with kids cannonballing in the pool and the owners showed up while the police were there and threatened to toss the kids at 4am unless they behaved. Then we all got apologies for the trouble. THAT STR I am 1,000% behind. That’s a good neighbor. Heck, some of the folks who have stayed with me because they’re moving here are now friends with my neighbors. That’s what ABB was and should be.

Knocking this guy off the ABB platform won’t stop him on VRBO or BdC. But passing legislation like NYC’s that limits ABB to owner-occupied units (homeshares) or owners who rent out while not there full-time (with caps on number of nights rented) have opened up quite a few apartments to people who need homes.

So go ahead, flame me. But when the little old lady (me) is standing in a street yelling at smart ass kids who are trying to break into the home of another little old lady, something needs to be done.

3 Likes

Flame you? No way. I feel really bad for neighborhoods that are having to suffer this. I also homeshare and my neighbors wouldn’t even know I had an Airbnb, (Except that I am friendly with all of them, so they do know. And my neighbor directly across the road has 2 str casitas, but she lives on the property, therefore there’s no issues.) because I only host one guest at a time and most fly here and take the bus from the airport, so my guests almost never have a car here. As far as anyone would know, this unknown person they see walking back and forth from my house could be a friend or family member.

If I were you, I would approach this, with all your equally po’ed neighbors, with your local govt. representatives. Airbnb doesn’t really seem to care- their “no parties” thing is all about bad publicity- they couldn’t give a s**t about disgruntled, suffering neighbors, so unless someone gets shot and it makes the news, they will probably take their sweet time in shutting the listing down, if they do at all. Especially if these property management companies have lots of listings- Airbnb hates to let that revenue go, and these multi-property owners get away with things you or I would have our listings deleted for.

I am all for local governments disallowing entire house strs with remote or “don’t give a damn” owners.
On-site or local hosts who are responsible, good neighbors, or hosts who use the place themselves as a vacation home some of the time (and therefore certainly care if it gets trashed or they disturb the neighbors) are the only strs that should be allowed, anywhere, as far as I’m concerned.

Investor “hosts” should be regulated out of business.

3 Likes

Exactly! I feel for the folks on the forum who’ve had to deal with what I just dealt with this weekend and was so angry with the host and the “guests.” Yes, the multi-home property management companies are huge revenue for ABB and it’s so sad to watch neighborhoods go downhill because of this.

I’ve spent years defending ABB and STRs but you’re correct, it’s time to get on to our local government - who won’t give a darn because each home or homeshare rental generates a 10% hotel tax and the ones operated under a property management company pay even more fees and business taxes. Plus, they don’t live down here in our former little drinking village with a boating problem. So they don’t care.

In addition to mobilizing all your neighbors and putting pressure on your local govt. (and while you think they won’t care, if you can get a local news station to cover the story, write letters to be published in local newspapers or local online forums, they will care about bad publicity about them blowing off your concerns, because politicians want to get re-elected), I would try to rally all the neighbors to call the Airbnb “neighbor hotline” to report this listing and what they had to put up with.

2 Likes

Already done. Neighbors are quite unhappy with this “couple” who “own” a property management company. He had many options on how to handle it and he chose 3 wrong ones.

Another mindless infiltration by chat bot, obviously working on its plausibility function… BRRRURGH… FAIL

3 Likes

But what if we’re only catching the bad AI chatbots and the good ones are slipping by us all the time? What if @muddy and @casailinglady are ACTUALLY AI CHATBOTS?

What if I am an AI bot and by reading your response to the other bot I have just learned that one way to not appear to be a bot is to stop sounding so generically reasonable and boring and to interject a few words in all caps to display frustration, thereby seeming more human?

:wink:

3 Likes

Hilarious, but also frightening. This is what the Hollywood writers and actors
strike is about. The movie studios could produce entire movies where the audience would assume they are watching Nicole Kidman play a role, when in fact, she would be AI generated.

2 Likes

Haha, if muddy’s a bot then I think you would probably find her contributing to every topic, multiple times and have perceptive insights, views and opinions about every aspect of the thread in a way that no human could ever keep up with or have the capacity to generate …mmm on second thoughts …

Well I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what they’re doing here, training how to sound human but looking at that quote I’d say God help 'em if they’re hoping to learn off us lot! :rofl:

Unfortunately though, there may well come a time when the value of interaction on this forum will be so diminished by them that it will be neither informative in a helpful way nor a pleasure to engage with.

I know we’re going way off topic with this but it is an issue that’s having a gentle, insidious impact on this forum and maybe needs it’s own dedicated conversation?

4 Likes

rotflmaooo. I’m not an AI chatbot. That’s hysterical.

1 Like

Can we set up a thread to entice the bots to chat with each other? Like the Dr. Who Weeping Angels standing in a circle?

5 Likes

Except it’s just one guy with many IDs posting to no one in some sort of narcissistic exercise.

1 Like

Sally Sparrow is my heroine!! Love that episode. Geek Alert!

1 Like