[Vent] cleaner has trouble using combination lock

This is more of me venting than anything else.

I have a locked cabinet in the Airbnb unit that contains cleaning supplies and assorted replacement items like paper towels & toilet paper. It’s locked via one of those master lock clockwise-counterclockwise-clockwise combination locks and I’ve given the code to the cleaner.

She’s been complaining that it’s too difficult to use and she & her crew waste too much time trying to get it unlocked. She’s asking that I replace it with a key lock.

I’m reluctant to do this. Partially because keys get lost. But mostly because HOW HARD CAN USING A FREAKING COMBINATION LOCK BE? My wife even mentioned these types of locks aren’t intuitive.

I dunno, maybe I’m used to them because these were the locks provided to us in grade school. Am I wrong here or should these not be that hard to use?

Sorry guys and gals, I had to get this off my chest!

1 Like

Even middle schoolers can use them!

1 Like

Keypad locks are fairly cheep. Is that an option?

Your cleaners are telling you something important - listen to them! If you don’t… well, they might not listen to you. I am fairly intelligent (and could clean your place within an inch of it’s life) but I often struggle with unfamiliar locks. You can sneer at me and roll your eyes as much you like, it won’t help me unlock that door!!
Honestly? My advice is that if your cleaners are good and you value them - accommodate them and change it. Surely your cleaning supplies are not so precious that they need a combination lock?

6 Likes

I agree, I had a patient with a. Lockbox on her front door so care givers could unlock the door, she couldn’t get out of bed. I had the hardest time dealing with the combination, I used to have one in high school, but that was some time ago. You can get a kkeypad lock that may be easier, or just make some extra keys and get a simp,e lock.

What about a lock that you set the letters?
You get to choose the “code” and it is 4 letters.
You can change if you feel it is compromised.
Much easier than the “traditional” combination lock.

You can see them if you google letter combination lock.

2 Likes

@spkrause

Why not tape a small sign to the door with the basic instructions.

(Example)
Turn dial to the Right to the first code number.
Turn dial to the Left to the second code number.
Turn dial to the Right to the last code number.
Pull down on lock.

If in rotating the dial a full turn is involved, include appropriate wording.

1 Like

I don’t think that will help. Particularly if the cleaners do not have English as first language. I really think this is something that owners have to address head on. If your cleaners are communicating to you that there’s a problem - work it out with them. Don’t treat them like they’re stupid. That’s not only insulting but it will cost you in the long run - they’ll either conclude that you’re an arse (which you will be if you don’t listen to them) and leave or they’ll think you’re an arse and not do a good job. It’s simple good business / human practice.

1 Like

Mag, a very sensible response. We all know that good cleaners are hard to find. You don’t want them to quit over it. Combo locks are so last century. :rofl:

2 Likes

@Magwitch

“… I really think this is something that owners have to address head on. If your cleaners are communicating to you that there’s a problem - work it out with them. Don’t treat them like they’re stupid. That’s not only insulting but it will cost you in the long run - they’ll either conclude that you’re an arse (which you will be if you don’t listen to them) and leave or they’ll think you’re an arse and not do a good job…”

I don’t know why you’re addressing all this to me.

She probably didn’t mean to, this is sort of a forum glitch.

Because you were suggesting giving more instructions when presumably they already had instructions but were still saying there’s a problem! Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply anything bad or implicate you. My apologies if it seemed like that

Thank you for the clarification and I do appreciate the apology.

True, I was suggesting to the OP that he consider a different form of instruction to his housecleaner so she learns how to how to operate the lock. I assume he tried to teach her by demonstration as well as verbal instructions, so I suggested written instructions.

He stated he is “reluctant” to change the key lock, yet everyone responded by saying he should get a different type of lock. I took him at his word and tried to offer a possible solution. He wants his housecleaner to learn to operate his preferred existing lock.

@KIKC if that’s the case why not look at other cleaners.

Lordy guy or gal. Although I am guessing by your initial post that you are a guy :slight_smile:

Just do as advised and get a key lock.

This isn’t about what you find easy. But making it easier for your cleaners to do their job.

I would agree with some others on here - just get a different lock. Your cleaners are telling you of a problem, just fix the bloody problem. It will be cheap as to get a new lock, what won’t be so cheap is when your cleaners charge you for the extra time it takes them to access your supply cupboard as you ignored their reasonable request

Could it be that your cleaner has less than perfect eyesight and just doesn’t want to mention it lest you think they may miss an errant hair or crumb because of it? I know those locks can be hard if your vision is poor.

@spkrause

I think this is what you’re looking for, difficult to screw up and you can set your own combo…

Tim
TurnoverBnB

I just use a regular lock for the locked closet. Hide the key somewhere and let the cleaning people know and when they are done hide the key at the same location. It makes the house look nice also.

This is my solution too!! Set it to something they can remember; easy peasy! Word combination lock. That is what I’d do, no question.

1 Like