Updated Instant book cancellation penalties?

Hi Everyone!

As instant book become everyday more pushy and pushy I was reading a host cancellation penalties for Instant book (Sorry as a new user can’t put a link here but the article called “I’m a host. What penalties apply if I need to cancel a reservation”?) and noticed that now it says that you can “cancel instant bookings penalty-free an unlimited number of times if you’re uncomfortable with a reservation or if a guest breaks one of your House Rules”.

I remember the last time I saw this article it was saying that Instant book bookings can be cancelled without penalty no more than 3 times in a half or one year period (don’t remember exactly).

Was it recently changed? Has someone already cancelled more than 3 IB booking in a half year? If so, is it true that “you won’t pay a fee, lose Superhost status (or eligibility for it), or receive any of the other penalties mentioned above”?

Thank you!

Maybe call Airbnb and ask them?

2 Likes

Will definitely do it tomorrow but just would like to know if someone has already tried these “new rules”

Surely available in the UK. Probably US too. Europe?

Yes, unlimited cancellations for Instant Book guests who make you uncomfortable is the policy in the U.S. However, Airbnb includes this disclaimer in their policy:

“Note: If we observe abuse of the policy, we reserve the right to turn off Instant Book for your listing, and you may be subject to other penalties, up to and including suspension and deletion of your account.”

1 Like

It would be unfair if it’s not …but then that wouldn’t be unusual with Airbnb.

I’ve seen that, but it’s then Airbnb’s discretion as to what constitutes abuse?

I am perplexed by posters here who expect that they will be paid in full when they evict the guest. This is not how it works in most businesses. If a restaurant or bar kicks out a patron, in general the patron doesn’t pay for the meal/drinks. If a landlord evicts a tenant in Los Angeles, the landlord generally doesn’t receive any rent from the time of the eviction notice which can be many months.

Well in that case there is no use in having House Rules or requiring a guest to agree to them!

Sure there is. You don’t have to live with a bad guest if they break your house rules.

New thing I noticed today. Hosts can now cancel penalty-free 3 times a year if the date “should’ve been blocked” as long as you cancel within 24 hours of the booking.
Not sure how we prove it should have been blocked.