Update to Strict Cancellation Policy

They now handle payments like ABB in many countries. The only difference is that you get paid once a month. Or you can handle payments yourself. I do both and it works perfectly well. If someone books with a card that doesn’t work, you just cancel. It’s really quite simple.

Does booking require you to be on IB with them? How does it work?
How much do they charge?

Yes, it’s only IB, but then I’ve always had IB. I have a very secure environment so I’m not worried about who books. And they charge 15% (or more if you want to be more visible, for short periods of time). It comes to the same as ABB in the end for the guest.
Booking has really amazed me: I negan working with them 2 years ago, and I was one of the first “non hotel” hosts in my city. It was a real hassle and a tough learning curve…for everyone. But contrary to ABB, they are improving daily and they REALLY listen to you! It’s so surprising!

1 Like

There’s been so many changes, following suggestions by hosts…some small, some more important. The first and main one of course is Payments by Booking, which is a relief if you were accustomed to ABB handling payments. Minor things like the inbox, which now actually has mail from guests, not only from Booking (that used to be frustrating)…the ability to send pictures and docs (useful for showing key boxes) and you actually do it on your PC, whereas Air only lets you do through the app…They have this program where even if your policy is strict it shows as flexible and they guarantee that they will re-book for you or compensate you (just for one night…but still…) and they roll out new stuff every day. So Ok, they don’t have a pretty and clean website like AIr and you have to sweat blood and tears until you master it. But they don’t hassle you if you fall under 9. And I had a couple of double bookings, and yes at first tehy sound very threatening, but in the end they managed to relocate the guests and were very efficient about it , and I never paid a cent.

I don’t know, I’ll have to look. I didn’t use it, because it didn’t suit my policies, As for communicating, it depends. I’ve had direct bookings because they put your address on your listing, and I’m on google maps. And of course, if you have your own website, potential clients can contact you directly, like they do with hotels.
The few times when I had double bookings two or three…they waived the fees They were very nice about it, actually: I explained that there had been two almost simultaneous bookings and that the platforms hadn’t synced, and I had no problems.
As I said, they actually seem to care about their hosts, and that’s a nice change!

Here’s a post from last year, where I predicted the 48 hours would become non optional. And lo and behold, I was right!

3 Likes

@Brandt -
For some of us located in less-travelled areas, or with larger or more expensive properties, sometimes there are not many people interested in staying, especially during the low season. So we really hate to have our property “off the market” at all.

I got this email today and it infuriated me so much I ripped off an angry message to Air via twitter. Maybe if they got a lot of seriously angry messages - and continued to get them - they’ll reconsider at some point.

Hi, I just wanted to STRONGLY PROTEST your new “grace period” on the strict cancellation policy. This is EXTREMELY UNFAIR TO HOSTS. It puts the whole burden AND RISK on hosts!

Why shouldn’t guests carry some of the risks? Why doesn’t Air offer and urge guests to sign up for some cheap trip insurance so if they need to cancel 48 hours later, the host doesn’t have to PAY THE COST FOR THE GUEST?

I’m very, very upset by this. We have ALWAYS been very open to refunding guests when we feel the guest has a legitimate reason. I just refunded two guests within the last month.

But forcing us to accept a 2-day window from up to just 14 days before the booking - is OUTRAGEOUS. That is prime time to get bookings - we get a lot of our bookings two weeks in advance. So this guest who books 16 days out - can get a refund 14 days out - and I most likely missed an opportunity to book it to someone else while I held it for them.

JUST OUTRAGEOUS REALLY. I can’t even tell you how angry I am about this.

Especially, since we’ve always had a strict cancellation policy in place and especially since I’ve always been fair about offering guests who have real reasons - refunds. Now you’re telling us - this makes guests feel safer booking - because it gives them two days to change their mind. Well, THANKS A LOT. How is this supposed to make HOSTS FEEL SAFER???

Oh and one of the guests I refunded a few weeks ago - I refunded her on the DAY OF HER ARRIVAL! You know why? Because I felt she had a legitimate need to cancel. And I believed her story. I have no interest in screwing guests over when a legitimate need arises… but this new policy is just INVITING guests to take advantage of hosts.

2 Likes

Yes Jon… I know, I feel your pain. This is lousy… and we must be ready for even more of their shenanigans. They are not in it for hosts at all.

1 Like

Surprised they are continuing the trial given the large drop in revenue they must have incurred with all the added cancellations. :rofl:

You do work for them don’t you?

Yes, i also control the weather.

1 Like

Where’s @guthend? We need a poll because it appears that a number of hosts actually love the new policy. Let’s poll it!

1 Like

@konacoconutz

I’m not so sure if others are supportive of the policy vs not affected as deeply.

I have 2properties with moderate and the other with flexible. My rental market is very different than yours. During my peak season, I can fill a cancellation but it usually means a last minute rate decrease.

I thought address & check-in information was given to the guest only a week or so before their trip so not available to them during the first 48 hour—I’m not sure. I’ve had only one guest cancel less than 1 week before his trip. I didn’t feel like it was security risk—he was traveling from Texas (18 hr drive)

I wish Airbnb would give hosts with a strict cancellation policy a choice between 48 hour cancellations or not (kind of like a level 1 and 2 strict) since “super strict” isn’t available for all

Again my situation is different

How could any host possibly love it!?

1 Like

I doesn’t affect me either. I support my fellow hosts in spirit but I’m resigned to the booking process becoming just like hotels.

3 Likes

Jon–read above for some who like it and defend it.

Option if you currently use “Strict” and hate the 48 hours cancellation…
Call and get switched to “Super Strict” which has no cancellation grace period.
Drawback: airbnb will take 5% instead of 3%.

1 Like

I will probably switch as it gets closer to Christmas.

So a lot of hosts are talking about alternative booking platforms here… what other platforms are suitable for people who host out of the home they live in? Aren’t a lot of the other platforms designed for whole-house rentals?