Update to Strict Cancellation Policy

You don’t have to: there are statistics out there…And thank you for your wishes :slight_smile: although I tend to rely less on luck and more on excellence. Striving to keep our stellar performance on all platforms :wink:

1 Like

Nobody is forcing you to use Airbnb.

Vacation rentals existed before Airbnb, they exist after Airbnb. Their niche was/should have been the renting out of the spare room but no they decided they wanted to be the Amazon of travel. Hosts like you really aren’t dependent on them. My little spare room by the highway does depend on them but so far their policies work for me.

I don’t fool myself into thinking they need me or care about me. I expect nothing from them and therefore cannot be disappointed.

4 Likes

So you’re alright with the fact that many hosts have built their business around ABB, and that now the company is turning the tables on them and simply using them as insurance policy?
I’m very curious as to why you are so defensive of them, when they are doing something which is so obviously negative for most hosts?

1 Like

I’m on Vrbo and Tripadvisor (although get nothing from TA) what other platforms are you getting bookings on?

1 Like

How can they result in stays when they are canceled after 48 hours?

And that is very wise of you. A great Greek poet said: " I hope for nothing, I fear nothing: I am free". Sounds like a good idea.
Especially when dealing with the likes of ABB! :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think it is negative for me or most hosts. I get most reservations 30-60 days in advance. Some as far as 6 months I think the net impact for me would be positive.

I think there is some reassurance to guests that they can cancel in the next 2 days. (I moved to this cancellation policy when it launched a few months back). I’ve made the calculation that I’m more likely to get additional reservations this way. If they cancel, I will get someone else. Hopefully they stay.

1 Like

I am too, because this line of thinking does not make sense. Makes me think Brandt might work for them.

Who on earth would think that this 48 hour benefits hosts? It’s total spin and BS to proclaim it was enthusiastically embraced by hosts. Give me a break.

1 Like

I’m done trying to reason with you.

I know…I was laughing so hard when I read their email. they must really think we’re very very stupid. Or gullible. Or both. It’s disgraceful.
What amuses me is that you can keep on asking the same question “In what way is this positive for hosts?”, and obviously they can’t answer. So they try another spin.
But the truth is always to look at the bottom line, and no way this is good for the hosts’ bottom line.

2 Likes

So be it. But you are actually saying a policy that allows guests to cancel free of charge within 48 hours benefits hosts and is reasonable?? I’m not getting it.

1 Like

But what if they don’t? You have lost but somehow you think that is a good thing.

You also don’t realize that this is only the beginning of the book and look policies that are coming. Come back when you get that email and tell us it’s still good for hosts, will you?

1 Like

:joy: Actually, I think we’re both getting it quite well! Well, what can I say: some people would boldly come out and defend the statement that "Strychnine is very good for your health, especially when taken before breakfast, because ABB says so."
Hm…

1 Like

More and more from Booking. Love them! It was difficult at first because their platform is not easy to navigate. They are taking over most of my listings, and I love the fact that they don’t pester you with dubious price recommendations, that they have fabulous customer service and that you can set your cancellation policies as you wish. And mainly, I’m getting so many more bookings with them. Tripadvisor is good too, very good quality guests, who usually pay more and demand less. Better educated and more mature crowd.

1 Like

Ahh, I miss the days when strict was really strict. Back in 2009 when I joined Airbnb and they were a small, nice and slightly funky company to deal with.

I know: it was fun then. even their CS was kind of amusing, because they had no idea what they were doing…but in a nice way. Now they still don’t, but they’re not so nice.

2 Likes

I would not be unhappy if TripAdvisor took over my Airbnb business.
They’ve improved instead of getting worse. They let me set Super strict and people still book.

I’ve been pleased with the caliber of guest who books on them since they ditched the flipkey brand. So far just zero problems. No nit picky reviews to worry about, just easygoing guests and TA really do charge and hold the deposit.

Of course no platform is GREAT as they all take a piece of the pie. Book Direct is really the way of the future and we should all be working toward that.

1 Like

Do you have to handle collecting payments on booking.com? People complained about that payment process from what i gathered. but my info is dated now.

Thoughts?

Yup. The way to go is to set up your own website and to be on Google maps, but that has some problems also. I know a lot of hosts get bookings through all kinds of surprising things…Instagram…FB…