Unusual fall off in reservations after a gangbusters August, any thoughts?

if we’re showing charts, for me, the comparison between 2019 and 2020 tells the story:

Note: the $ axis is not equal on the two (larger amounts in 2019 because of March). Red line shows an approximate equivalent revenue $

2 Likes

Are you using only Airbnb or similar services to get business? Are you marketing your places yourself?

3 Likes

I am fairly sure that Abnb moves you down the list of rentals they show…you were in the 1st hundred or so, now you are in the 500th plus position if you are in a popular area. This has happened to me two years in a row which is why I am putting my place up for long term rental. Everyone gets a chance to be 1st in line. .

There are many ways to get your listing back up in the search ranks (unless you have poor reviews). This forum is full of tips, and I’ve found that they work. Do a search of the forum before going the LTR route. Unless, of course, that’s what you’d prefer to do. Good luck with whatever you decide! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Many states where COVID is low or controlled have instituted quarantine for guest from high case area. I have just lost 2 bookings because of that and booking requests are down? On the other hand views are up! Go figure.

This very much depends where you are located as for example I wouldn’t want to go to Florida or Georgia right now but Vermont or CT instead…

2 Likes

Draconian…really. If this country could have just been still for a little longer, we may be in a better situation right now… like other countries that took the bull by the horns and got it done. BTW … the countries I am referring to ex. Iceland,
Iceland,Taiwan, New Zealand to name a few, are all run by women…( Article from Forbes) just saying. Though small countries… “they jumped right over phases of denial, anger and disingenuousness.” Some even introduced measures to block the spread without lockdowns.
It can be done because others have done it. The sooner we get around to asserting ourselves the sooner we will be able to get back to business. I’ve had four groups of guests this month, that is since mid March and I am usually booked solid all year. So I feel ya! And I am in New Orleans where it can be busy all year. All reservations have been last minute because people are confused about what’s happening as well as what will happen.

8 Likes

@lbellon welcome to the forum!

We are looking forward to your contributions.

RR

1 Like

It’s still August … so how do you know September through December is a bust already?

3 Likes

All of ours were last second.

2 Likes

We are experiencing very similar things here. People make long bookings (two weeks +) unusually close to the day of check in. Mind you, two days in advance is very short notice for a one week stay. Our most recent booking is a 16 day stay booked 9 days in advance. The other thing to note is that in general the AirBnB activity in our area is very subdued with only 25% of places booked even in high season. What this indicates to me is the following:

• people wait a lot longer until they commit themselves to a booking
  • people are drawn to quality listings with rating of 4.9 or 5 averages
  • for this luxury of choice, they are willing to pay a significant premium

I am increasingly convinced that the dynamics you are describing @Militaryhorsegal are here to stay in the future. This is a completely new type of traveller …

4 Likes

Interestingly, I just had ANOTHER last minute booking that came in with a message that they could be there in less than an hour…luckily she was flexible since I needed time to finish turning it over. Weirdly, she had signed for the keys of her new apartment in the morning and opened it up to it being trashed…she also has 2 cats so finding anything was tough. I am a Pet Friendly (in the titles) listing.

3 Likes