Unstable Guest Seems to be Planting Roots

I would definitely not renew hia stay but not sure about kicking him out.
I don’t think you feel in danger with him, it’s just he annoys you.

1 Like

Much like the GF I suspect

1 Like

Why are you flipping beds up to 6 times a weekend??? You must have a lot of rooms. I suggest you increase your minimum to at least 2 nights so you are not doing so many changeovers for less than 40% occupancy

1 Like

I’ve had 100% occupancy rate for 3+ months (2-5 night stays), and it is said even that’s not busy enough! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Don’t kick him out, but when the time comes for your other guests to arrive, tell him he can’t stay any longer. No need to engage in conversations with him that make you feel uncomfortable.

You come first. This is your home. State firmly that his checkout time is X. If he whines, delays, or starts making accusations or calling you names, make the call to Airbnb.

Personally, I’d ask a friend to come over, too.

4 Likes

Is he still there? Any update?

5 Likes

Worried for you - tell us how you are!!!

3 Likes

I’m totally fine at 40%+ occupancy rate. Considering our busy lives, hosting is just one of many things we do. We travel ourselves, so 100% occupancy is just not feasible. We also rent to a local college professor 2 nights a week offline, so those dates don’t get added. And we have family and friends who visit, so we need to block dates for own personal needs - this is our home, after all. Plus, sometimes we just need a break or have other plans.

When we first started, I was seriously like, “Who the hell comes to this town?!” I was very surprised. I even turn people away because date ranges they request are unavailable (they inquire with one night asking if more are available). I’ve made exceptions for returning guests to stay when we’re not home, even giving a key to one who made 5 separate bookings.

For something that’s almost a hobby, hosting nearly half the month is pretty good, at least in my opinion. Especially since I had know idea much of an unmet need there is for hospitality in our area. There is literally one hotel in my city, and it’s a resort hotel, and about 6 other Airbnb hosts, most of whom don’t take this very seriously. Consider this opening line for one host, “So why exactly are you traveling to Fitchburg, Massachusetts? This makes us immediately suspicious of you. But, if you have a seemingly legit reason for visiting, you can stay here.” They also charge twice as much, have zero reviews and have been on Airbnb for 4 years.

In one year, I think we’ve done pretty well.

3 Likes

I think my occupancy rate according to Airbnb has never been higher than 60-ish% and I also feel quite busy.

Meanwhile, what happened with the unstable guest?

2 Likes

We’ve discussed having a nightly minimum, but I think we’d lose a lot of potential bookings. We are not a vacation destination, and most of guests are traveling through and need a place to stay. We have 2 guestrooms, and some weekends we get up to 5 bookings. One is a twin bed and that’s easy to flip. The larger room is a queen with the option to use the futon. We’ve been very lucky to have very guests, and some even strip the bed for us. I wish Airbnb offered more data on frequency and demographic information.

We’re fine. He left a few days early. We refunded the rest of the nights. We even got a new booking from someone else once those dates became available.

6 Likes