Unrealistic expectations from guests!

Creme Anglaise is a custard that is thinner than what we in the U.S. would call pudding. Creme Anglaise is used as a sauce for dessert rather than eaten alone.

2 Likes

That’s what custard usually means in England. (Or was, when I was last there). Then there’s baked custard (preferably a baked custard tart) which is eaten as a dessert. With fresh nutmeg grated on top. Thank goodness it’s nearly lunchtime - this topic is making me hungry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here custard and pudding are mostly differentiated by whether or not eggs are an ingredient. Custard isn’t always pourable.

So complicated! So although we are two countries divided by a common language it looks as though food comes a close second. I’d never heard of pudding in that context.

Traditionally in the UK a pudding was a steamed pudding, such as treacle pud. But then, maybe this is a northern thing, all desserts are referred to as ‘pudding’. As in ‘Mum, what’s for pudding?’ which means any dessert - ice cream, apple pie, fruit cocktail, anything.

Blancmange was a cheap thing that no-one ever really ate apart from many years ago as a pudding (dessert!) after horrible school dinners.

And as far as I know custard, whether a sauce or set in a tart, always has eggs. In thr UK, that is. Confusing!

1 Like

So where does flan fit in this scenario?

I once wanted to make it and was kind of appalled at how many eggs and how much sugar it takes!

1 Like

I believe that flan is from Spanish speaking countries. This recipe has three eggs and two egg yolks, but it serves six. I have a Cuban friend who can’t boil water, but he makes delicious flan and perfect rice, neither of which is easy. His husband (who is a good cook) and I have decided that these dishes must be genetically encoded in Cubans. My friend’s mother is horrified by anyone who doesn’t bake their flan in a water bath.

1 Like

Just to confuse you more @jaquo

We now have custard - a thick sauce that’s made with milk and used with traditional sponge puddings, crumbles and steward apple and other fruit.

Then you have creme anglaise which is made with cream but is a thinner sauce normally served with fancy tarts and cakes.

This is getting to be like duvets and electric kettles! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Imagine my confusion, young American girl that i was, when I went to meet my future in-laws in Leeds, and they served Yorkshire pudding… next to the meat. O.o

(Yorkshire pudding is completely savory, for those unfamiliar with it. It’s also delicious, and eventually I need to learn how to make it)

A brilliant place - I lived there for many years :slight_smile:

My old mum used to say that it’s impossible to make proper Yorkshire puddings if you’re not in Yorkshire. She came to the States many times and the puddings she made here were never quite as good as ‘the real thing’. The water is all wrong, she used to explain. That, and the fact that American flour is also completely wrong, according to the best Yorkshire pudding maker in the world. (In Yorkshire everyone’s mum makes the very best puds).

But traditionally, and at our house anyway, the Yorkshire puddings were always served before the meal as an appetiser. The logic was that you’d fill yourself up with the cheap puds and eat less of the more expensive meat (the leftovers of which could be used in countless dishes in the forthcoming week.

We also used to have them for dessert with Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The water and flour are so different. The sugar, too.

I think the golden syrup my husband likes has a lion on it.

When we go to Leeds we pack a suitcase of cheerios for our diabetic friend who won’t eat Nestles, and we fill it up with Strawberry raspberry tea and Scottish Porridge Oats (the kind with the guy in a kilt doing the shot put.) No other brand will do, even if they say Scottish Porridge Oats on them. My husband can tell the difference. Who knew oats could be so complicated?

… maybe he can taste the kilt.

3 Likes

That’s the one. Essential for pancakes (proper English ones not American ones) on Pancake Day. There’s some sort of story about the lion on the tin - something about sweetness coming out of something or other - I’ll have to look it up.

1 Like

Actually it’s a bit gross!

The tin bears a picture of the rotting carcass of a lion with a swarm of bees and the slogan “Out of the strong came forth sweetness”. This is a reference to the Biblical story in chapter 14 of the Book of Judges in which Samson was travelling to the land of the Philistines in search of a wife. During the journey he killed a lion, and when he passed the same spot on his return he noticed that a swarm of bees had formed a comb of honey in the carcass.

I have washed out the tins sometimes and used them to hold pencils on my desk.

2 Likes

My pancake recipe has become decidedly mid-Atlantic. :smiley: It’s more like a fluffy crepe than a traditional thick American pancake.

Maple or golden syrup, but we don’t do lemon juice and sugar. sniff … that’s just wrong. :wink:

2 Likes

Lyle’s Golden Syrup is one of my baking and candy making secret weapons. Whenever a recipe calls for light corn syrup, I substitute golden syrup. It’s more expensive, but so worth it.

2 Likes

Our family recipe for Yorkshire pudding has only, eggs, milk, salt and flour. You need to let the batter rest for 20 min or so, pan, oil and oven need to be very hot.

3 Likes

Yes. But my mum used to add water too. The puddings didn’t rise as well and were a bit claggy if the only liquid was milk. I’m inclined to say that she used 50% milk and 50% water but I’m not sure.

Just before pouring the mixture into the Yorkshire pudding tins, she’d add a drop or two of hot fat (never oil) to the mixture and quickly blend it in.

That’s why the batter has to rest, it’s something to do with gluten.

THat’s right, it expands in the liquid,

Gluten always needs to relax. And, it is also about hydration, but that is.a different forum. :slight_smile:

2 Likes