Unrealistic expectations from guests!

For coffee I offer a French press, pod machine, instant and decaf instant plus 6 types of teas… and ginger biscuits / cookies…

And get 4 stars for lack of facilities… still trying to figure out where the lack is…SIGH

1 Like

I would have thought so.

Strangely, I was surprised when I moved from the UK to Florida to discover just how tiny homes are here compared to England. Particularly apartments. My own apartment here, and the rental, are a little smaller than 450 sq.ft. I never came across anything as small in the UK. Once again, cultural differences… :slight_smile:

This is what I use to make coffee. It is simpler than a French press.

https://www.melitta.com/en/Gourmet-10-Cup-Pour-Over-Coffeemaker-1667,69402.html

Your 450 square foot apartments are much smaller than average for the U.S.and can even qualify as a tiny house.

Thank you for the link!

I think that the size of my apartment (and the rental) is not typical of the USA in general. It’s maybe a South Florida thing. :slight_smile:

I understand that in high population areas, apartments in the US are tiny and that some in NYC are under 200 sq. ft!

1 Like

Yes, dwellings in New York City tend to be tiny. That is because New York City was modeled on Amsterdam (hence similar names like Harlem). New York City was originally named New Amsterdam. I’ve heard, but not verified, that in Amsterdam buildings have a narrow footprint because the property tax was on the footprint.

3 Likes

Would they be wanting a place to cook? Oven, stove top?

It’s actually not simpler at all because you have to use and dispose of a paper filter. Don’t have that with a press. Also, my press anyway, the coffee isn’t brewed in plastic so you don’t get the plastic exposure or the taste of the paper filter.

Entire house… and it has everything!

What??? Maybe they want an elliptical training machine? Maybe a heated towel rack? Watermelon baller?

2 Likes

I had one in the room and guests broke it.
It was good advice someone gave to provide things that are industrial strength.
I have a coffee station that doesn’t break. No carafes.
I’m over constantly replacing things.
As of today, no more premium snorkel gear, guests thrash or lose it.

1 Like

Elliptical training machine equals the back steps
Heated towel rail equals towel rail under window
Watermelon baller equals a teaspoon…so got those! :wink:

5 Likes

We’ve had two sets of FRENCH guests who’ve stared at the cafetiere at breakfast “What is zis and ow do we use it?” I was dumbfounded … I’ve also noted that most young French guests don’t drink coffee at breakfast but prefer tea, or even don’t drink coffee at all.

Good heavens, before we know it they won’t be smoking Gauloises or having cognac for breakfast!

3 Likes

I’ve never understood why Airbnb doesn’t include Coffee Maker or Kettle in the amenities list! To me it seems like a basic hosting requirement to include some way to make both coffee and tea given that such a large portion of the world population drinks one or the other. I wouldn’t expect a American-style drip coffee maker, but you’ve gotta have something!

My wife and I once stayed four nights at a flat in London that had no way to make coffee, and it was very annoying since we both need coffee first thing in the morning to function properly. As a previous poster said a french press costs about 5 pounds and hardly takes up any cupboard space. On another trip we stayed at places in Italy that only had moka pots, but I managed to figure out how to use them well enough and, as they say, live like a local.

I’m in Canada and get guests from all over the place; the US, UK, Western Europe, South America and China. I have a Nespresso machine, french press, and electric kettle, and stock coffee pods, ground coffee and a few varieties of tea. Depriving guests of their caffeine addiction is not a good idea…

7 Likes

I had to laugh, cus the first time I ran into a Keurig, it took me 10 min to determine how to use it, with trial and error! This was in a hotel room. Now you’ve mentioned a french press, and it might take me as long to figure out that one too!

1 Like

Coffee maker is listed as an amenity. It’s an additional amenity under kitchen.

1 Like

Ha, one of the best things I used to enjoy on holiday in France was a cafe cognac for breakfast. :slight_smile: And a Gauloise or three of course. They make me think of Serge Gainsbough and Je t’aime. (I’m old!)

Funny though how ‘we’ Americans label items as being from a different country, like the French press. All those years in the UK and I’d never heard of English muffins until I came here. Same with French fries - pommes frites are a totally different thing and English chips are different altogether. I could write and essay about chips!

When I was a kid in England, a euphemism for condoms was ‘French letters’. Did the French call them ‘English letters’.

I’m rambling … sorry…

4 Likes

I don’t have coffee maker in my amentity list and I don’t have it in my description (I put detailed list of what is available, even small things like kettle and iron are listed).

But I put a sentence “welcome biscuits, milk, coffee and tea are offered to get you started …”.

One guest from England complained no coffee machine no dishwasher (dishwasher is not listed again) and she used a big “WARNING” in front of her complain, which seems unfriendly to me even though she firstly mentioned all the good about my property.

To avoid future disappointment, I revised to “welcome biscuits, milk, instant coffee and tea…”. But I doubt some guests would still not read.

It is hard to manage guest expectation, my home is very central to local town centre, within five minutes walk, a guest can find at least 3-4 coffee shops. And I don’t provide coffee machine mainly because not many guests clean it properly after use, also I’m priced relatively low so I provide basic amentity. Many guests told me basic but that’s all they need, but some still have high expectations.

:slight_smile: I’m priced low too… do have a proper coffee machine though now it’s not really used as I no longer offer breakfast at my listing. If anyone said they wanted one, it’s there ready to go.

Ramble away, Jackie … that’s what makes the forum fun!

Well, almost … they were known as “capotes anglaises”!

3 Likes

I didn’t know that :slight_smile:

Didn’t they also call custard ‘creme anglaise’? And when I was a kid I used to wonder what brussels sprouts were called in Belgium.