Unnecessary House Rules

Oh, we got plenty of those.

1. Do not pee in the pond…
  2. Do not take strange dogs into the house
  3. Do not park on the neighbors driveway
  4. Do not order a pizza delivery at 01:00 in the morning without knowing the exact address and room number
  5. Do not wash your bike in the bathroom
  6. Do not wash your dog in the bathroom
4 Likes

Maybe replace the word ‘please’ with the word ‘f*cking.’ :wink:

1 Like

Amen to that. I’ve had small kids throw rocks at my chickens.

After the third fool boiled tea leaves or some lardy dee daa herbs in the electric kettle I added a $50 charge for boiling anything other than water in it. I think someone boiled food in it also :weary:

2 Likes

I’ve had this happen more than once.

I think my main problem is that they don’t read the house rules anyway. Obviously there’s the list on the website but I don’t explicitly put them anywhere else as it seems rather officious. I do, however, leave a laminated sheet on the top of all the info about how to leave the place.
What do others do?

1 Like

I like goats and there are many vacant lots or unfinished buildings in Greece, because they suffered a lot during last economic crises. So much that I only travel there with my European passport. I had a Greek guy blast me for becoming an American in 2010-2011(?) and I don’t want to repeat that experience. I had no choice, my ex-husband made me an American! This was a time when I visited a remote Greek island for a day trip on a boat and returned on a plane, so I kept my mouth shut bc I needed him to get on that plane. Long story… only in Greece. Last year I went to Crete. Any time I went on the balcony I closed the balcony door. I close the kitchen door at my house too, when I go to outside, on the patio, so why would I do things any different someplace else? ANd yes, they are very serious about plumbing in Greek islands, one reason being perhaps that the houses are very old (in Rhodes people live in the old city and the houses were built in 1300s) and anything can cause blockage.

Just added a new rule to my ever growing rule list:

“Burning candles/wood logs and the use of portable/tabletop grills and alike is prohibited on the property. Fire hazard.”

I don;t provide a grill and I dont want people to grill because some might not know what they are doing, might be drunk, not clean after themselves, might be speaking loud at night and bothering my neighbors. My patio is very small and I want my guests inside.

However one smart a$$ bought a tabletop grill - the box was sticking up from the garbage! I wonder how in the world he carried it in the plane. Beats me!

My trip was in 2005 before the GFC. I have no trouble with goats and they are delicious.

2 Likes

I do both – add everything on ABB (my thought is even if they choose not to read it, they are “agreeing” to them). We also have a house binder with helpful tips, restaurants, etc. but it also includes house rules and the check out list.

I know that some people will read the rules, as I get questions about some things, but I’m sure many don’t.

1 Like

They are. So nice just roasted for a short time with some fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic.

Heaven…

JF

1 Like

I should add this rule. A guest used my blankets for a picnic on the grass, and the blankets were covered in hundreds of grass seeds. The seeds have a little barb, so they have to be picked off individually, they don’t come off in the wash! Very annoying.

I would likely charge that as damage. It’s one thing to pick dog hairs out because I am getting a pet fee so can decide if it is worth my time or not but that is not proper use and I would likely charge the guest for its misuse.

1 Like

Even if they don’t read the rules, they are deemed to have agreed to them, so covers you later.

3 Likes

A year or so ago house rules were important, especially in a home share. Now it is hard to spot them if you are using a cell phone, and nobody reads the fine print on the contract. It’s their money, and that should be good enough.

So I go over them AGAIN.

Give your blankets one heck of a shaking and then wash them using fabric softener. A lint roller is also helpful.

How about;

Don’t hold on to the towel bar while having sex in the bathroom. You will pull it out of the wall.

6 Likes

HI Hampton
I such such a laugh when I read your rules except the pet one. We have been hosting for many years and stating the obvious is what we have had to do, even though it is so frustrating. Sometimes we feel we are dealing with children or adults that just don’t care or just can’t read.
We have had to add these to our house rules:-

• No couch surfing, no air mattresses - this means you have not paid for a bed therefore you are not a guest.
  • No bags of ice permitted in our freezer. Heavy bags break our shelving.
  • No mobile spas permitted. Our property has limited tank water.
  • Do not waste water - we rely on tank/rain water. If taps are left running, guests will incur costly water fees
  • Do not dent or scratch the walls/doors when moving suitcases around.
  • Lock up when you leave the house.
  • Do not light the indoor fire during the summer months.

Talk about stating the obvious but my goodness some guests just don’t get it and unfortunately, we have to treat everyone as if they are children, such a pity.
I am sure as time goes by you will be adding to your house rules, its just how it is.
All the best
Al

1 Like

I just installed WiFi thermostats. We use HeatPumps here to condition the air. I had a guest drop the thermostat to 50F !! It should never go below 70F in the Summer. I raised it with my phone. He lowered it. This went a round or two so I messaged him and advised I was receiving alerts that the thermostat was being set out of range. He disconnected the thermostat from the WiFi. I had to drive over at 10:30 pm to reset and explain how the equipment works and that this is not a commercial but a home unit.
More than the utility bills, I am concerned with the damage to my HAAC. That’s really costly and inconvenience to my other guests.
I started writing a ‘how to operate this system’ not I would display above the thermostat but no one will read it I’m afraid. So I have a lockout feature I will set. I truly want Guests to be comfortable but so many have no patience or understanding with the system so I feel I have no choice. If the heat index outside is 103F, it feels wonderful to walk inside to 75F.

Has anyone set their thermostat to not allow override? How did that go?

My other peeve is I cannot get Guests to recycle even though it’s all set up and so easy with side by side recycle/trash bins. How hard is this? I am always pulling the recycle items out of the trash. Yucky.

1 Like

Sorry for the typos. Getting more coffee now :wink: