Unneccssary friction

In fairness, the OP did say “unnecessary” which implies that he realizes some friction is inevitable.

2 Likes

Aye, yes. It’s all about expectations (forum vs. support group). As are most things. Thank you!

Good. I’d never want my surgeon using a black light. Now, a fluoroscope…bring it on!! :wink:

So many different hosts, str types, locations etc. There will be next to none that will be identical. There are a few points that many seem to agree on but its through our differences and different experiences that we learn. Take what works for you- add your 2 cents for others- and just keep moving forward! This group has been an excellent resource and “safe space” for me!

4 Likes

I agree - but it’s partly Airbnb’s fault. THEY don’t ‘get it’ anymore than some hosts don’t get it. Each case is individual, is my point. (Which is your point too.) YOU know your local market in Derbyshire which, since you mention opera - I am a professional cellist - must mean not far from Buxton. Great! You know that you’ll need to accommodate one-nighters. My airbnb is by the Med on Crete, and our manager/cleaners can’t do a turnaround for less than 80 Euros. One-nighters DO NOT MAKE SENSE FOR US.

Does Airbnb get this? It does not. I doubt there’s been a week in the last six months when I haven’t been urged to reduce the fewest number of nights in Crete WHEN THIS MAKE NO, REPEAT NO, ECONOMIC SENSE. When will Airbnb learn that it’s the people on the ground who know the market, not them? Alice M.

5 Likes

If you ensure your cleaning fee covers the cleaning cost and Airbnb fee at a minimum it wouldn’t be an economic loss for you. Now, guests might not actually book based on what the price would be for one night but that doesn’t cost you anything economically. Do you have a cleaning fee?

1 Like

Our Airbnb’s are market driven. Some need to have one night stays in order to stay in business, other’s are more tourist driven in which they can have success with XX nights minimum. One size fits all does not apply to ABB in terms of rates, minimum nights stay, rules etc. You can receive a lot of advice but you have to look at it realistically for your market and what will work best for your ABB. There are some givens a clean, safe space for your guest to stay.

2 Likes

Yes but we have to pay our manager to meet the people, and there the gate fob as well etc. Also if we including all this in the fee we’d look way more expensive. Also - which is my point - nobody else does it, so we’d be pricing ourselves out of the local market. My point is - so sorry to be boring! - but it’s different markets in different countries (and even in different parts of the same country). I also get very fed-up with Airbnb telling us that we’re priced too high, when I’m still having to fight off would-be renters. They’ve never heard of the world ‘view’, it seems: instead they count up the bedrooms and bathrooms and decide we’re pitching ourselves too high. I wouldn’t mind, except (a) that it’s repetitive and (b) I really have gone the extra mile in explaining it to them. And still they bleat: “Your price is too high. . . you should let people come for half-a-day” (I am only slightly exaggerating). At the moment I’m checking out other places to put my house, for that reason.

1 Like

Yes everyone is different and maybe you won’t be able to see your way clear to do this but I have a suggestion. (based on 5 years/700+guests) QUIT TAKING IT PERSONALLY.

I know in the US some think “corporations are people” but they aren’t. Despite efforts to anthropomorphize them they are cold blooded soulless creatures that ultimately exist for one reason: to make money, return value to shareholders, payoff angel investors, payoff big to the founders. Airbnb isn’t telling you anything. A computer program is spitting out mindless words based on data. Ignore it.

A fellow host who stays here several times a year told me to raise my price. I took it to heart because she has stayed here in my town, is a world traveler, knows exactly what I and others offer, understands my market. I raised my price 20% and raised my pet fee 30%. It hasn’t hurt my business. But my business seems to be unlike virtually everyone else posting here.

Airbnb can never know your business like you do. Take their data as one variable in your calculations; nothing more.

1 Like

I agree, but isn’t that the problem? They make LOTS of money out of us, and are instead - your words, not mine “cold-blooded, soulless creatures that ultimately exist for one reason: to make money”. They could - in my humble opinion - spend some of their huge profits hiring people who understand what it’s about, RATHER than relying on computers. Just my two cents.

1 Like

To me the issue of hosting one nighter and or multi nighters is irrelevant. every host should whatever suits them. It’s like arguing about beer. Some like blonde, some lager. I like IPA. there is no right or wrong in that.

To me the issue is that one nighters shouldn’t have to do laundry :slight_smile: they didn’t stay enough at your place to do laundry. They must be coming from somewhere with dirty clothes and going some place where they don’t have access to washer and dryer???

3 Likes

oh, me too :slight_smile: but I do accept them occasionally :slight_smile:

OMG, yes!!! My co-host lives in the building between the two apartments, and he says that at least 80% of all guests start doing laundry within an hour of arriving. WTF? It is so weird.

If only… But that is not the world we live in.

RR

1 Like

Yes, They are traveling around and many places don’t offer laundry. So they choose a place that does specifically so they can do laundry. It’s a selling point for your rental.

1 Like

When I accept any booking back to back I get more $$$ because I raise prices for the 3 days before and after each booking I get. $10, $10 and $5 the further out. Base prices of $37-$60/night plus cleaning fees of $20-$50

I get that here, free. If Air hired the expertise we get here we couldn’t afford to list there, and besides we would have 30 minute conversations about the proper way to stuff a duvet cover every support call.

5 Likes

Could NOT agree more. Was in email correspondence recently with one (non!!!) bright spark working for Airbnb and she said, after a pause of about 30 seconds, she cut me off, assuming I must be happy.

I was NOT happy. I was particularly not happy at having the choices of (a) starting my whole complaint from scratch or (b) having a life. (Their support people are useless.) It’s not their fault they’re stupid, but they could try a bit harder. :frowning:

@Cellosoul5 - you’re seemingly unhappy with what Airbnb offers so I’m wondering why you continue to use them?

1 Like

This. This. And this again.
Applicable to so much even beyond this forum, thank you!

2 Likes