Unfair review just not fair

Create a second 1 bedroom listing. Lock the extra rooms off. The listings can be set up to block each other out if one is booked.

This is what I do, I actually prefer couples and have a longer minimum stay for the 3 bedroom listing so that is rented out less than the one bedroom.

RR

6 Likes

Hi Nesral,

Iā€™m not sure if I missed something in the other replies, but Iā€™m wondering why you allowed so many people to stay without notifying Airbnb that 11 people showed up and they only booked for 5. You could have asked that their reservation be cancelled, unless itā€™s different in Australia than it is in the U.S. I have had good success when calling CS in this type of situation.

I assume that if someone is going to ā€˜sneakā€™ more people in, they will probably do other types of damage, so I have a pretty hard line about no extra people without my prior permission.

Also, if someone leaves you a bad review, you probably know you can leave a response that fully describes the situation in a non-lengthy statement of what happened. That way future guests to be will read what happened and disregard her 1 star. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weā€™ve been successful twice.

Prospective guests do not see five-star ratings on individual reviews ā€“ they see your aggregate (average), but the individual five-star ratings are only visible in the host-login view. Your average will take a hit from a one-star review, but the actual one-star rating is not visible to the public.

2 Likes

We do exactly the same ā€“ allows us to cater to two different market segments at a competitive price-point in both. Our six-year track record is about 50/50 for the two listings,

3 Likes

Do try that, even though they are not responsive! All the best. We are locked down in Sydney so hosting is off for now !

Iā€™m in the process of doing opposite but similar. I lock off 1 br 1 ba & rent as max 2 1 br 1ba for rentals less than 27 nights. Iā€™m offering 2br 2 ba for 28+ nights max at a much higher rate

Airbnb NOW has a copy function that lets me take my existing listing, copy it and make changes. It is saving me a substantial amount of time.

When I added a second listing in 2015 this function was not available. So glad to see it is now. I donā€™t know when it started.

Point being; having duplicate listings for same property but different max guests & different bedrooms is fairly easy

2 Likes

Coolness! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Where is this located?

1 Like

Go to: listings
Select: list another space

Select: under Duplicate a listing, select the listing to copy

4 Likes

When I book Airbnb stays, I scan the reviews and always ignore the outlyer bad reviews. If a place has almost all 5 star reviews, I skip the odd negative review considering it a bad guest rant. Donā€™t fret about this bad review, no big deal.

3 Likes

Whether number of guest pricing is a good idea depends on a number of factors, including what others in the market are doing including the resorts and blocks of holiday flats. Another way of looking at it is that you are discounting the price for smaller groups and encouraging them because they have lower costs for you. I only went to number of guests pricing about a year ago and I am very happy with it. More bookings with lower number of guests and guests who have larger groups and costing me more are paying me more.

2 Likes

Then I think you were too soft. You know you would have likely gotten a bad review either way but since you didnā€™t follow your own House Rules when you invoiced her you now also hurt your own bottom line more in the process!

Exactly!!! I do the same as you except when I charge them for the unauthorized people I actually charge that as $50/unauthorized person instead of the $20/authorized person fee.

I am if the same opinion as OP here. I prefer the smaller groups and am happy to make less to accommodate them. I make more on a large group but it is not the ideal set up so is much more work. Luckily I only get a few a year.

But she would get fewer and likely get less overallā€¦same as me with my situation.

Thatā€™s different from what the OP said. @Nesral said that she ā€œwould miss out on lot of 2-people bookingsā€ if the price was higher not that she would accept a tradeoff of income for group size. Sheā€™s got a history of at least 350 bookings, so she has enough data to confirm it, but I donā€™t know if she actually has done enough analysis to do so.

1 Like