Under amenities- breakfast provided?

HI Folks,

Does the tick in the box by breakfast provided, mean that breakfast is included? or does it mean that it is available. I find it rather ambiguous and I’m not sure what to tick as we provide breakfast but people have to pay extra for it.
thanks, Katherine

Hello @Kamakshi

I think it’s fairly clear - ticking the box means you provide breakfast as part of the cost.

If you want to charge for it as an added extra, you need to indicate this on your listing with prices and then you can charge for it through the Resolution Centre.

So in summary, you don’t provide breakfast as part of your listing but people can pay for it/

1 Like

I would be easier to add a few dollars to your nightly price and advertise free breakfast.

3 Likes

I’d say it means you provide breakfast as part of the night’s stay. We do – full cooked breakfasts {yes, I know, not all of you can, or want to}.

What you choose to prepare, or have available is up to you and your situation. Some hosts have a couple kinds of dry cereal, oatmeal packets, a couple kinds of bread and jam, maybe juice of some kind, plus (almost mandatory) tea and coffee – decafe and regular

We provide a variety of prepared breakfasts that usually include two eggs some way with toast and/or fruit, and/or something else like potatoes or grits or oatmeal. I keep really good costs for the meals I provide, and here on the Gulf Coast of Florida, my most expensive breakfast (see below) costs me about $5.24 for two people. For tax purposes you can take this food cost as a deduction.

Our Anglo-American Brekkie is, per person, 2 eggs sunnyside, two strips of bacon or a slice of ham, 1/2 tomato fried, 1/4 cup English baked beans, 2 slices of multigrain toast, handmade marmalades, and butter.

This may not apply to you but depending on where you live there may be legal implications. Where we live in Michigan USA if we were to “serve” breakfast we would be considered a true bed and breakfast under our town’s zoning rules and the State of Michigan. This could or most likely would have a negative effect on property taxes we pay. Again in your case it may not even be in play. But make sure you know the rules/laws in your location. Regards, Curt

Ken, I notice many recipes online from the usa, have measurements as half a cup, what’s the standard size cup. We have mugs, tea and saucer cups (small) or regular cups, I have a recipe I want to make but was not sure what size the standard cup size

@cassid What ingredient? white flour? sugar? I will be happy to convert to grams for you. Only way to bake.

EDITED to add: our tablespoons and teaspoons are not the same as the UK version.

1 Like

thanks for your thoughts

A standard “wet cup” is 8 oz. Dry things like flour/sugar I prefer to weigh. Especially sugar, as your “caster sugar” like our granulated sugar but a bit finer; and our “confectioners sugar” is similar to your “icing sugar” but not exactly. Only in baking do I add salt to any recipe (except a pickling recipe, of course).

Watch out in American recipes where the writers are often sloppy about some things – there’s a big difference between, for example, a 1/4 cup of almonds, sliced; and a 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. Same thing for mushrooms and other small veg…

Here’s a really good article about converting British and American ingredients:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/how-to/44/cooking-conversions.aspx

1 Like

@cassid a cup is an actual measurement (it’s not a random cup that you happen to drink out of). You can buy implements that measure in cups in tescos for example (assuming you’re English )

This totally baffled me when I first moved to the States. (I used to grumble lot about why the hell the US can’t use metric measurements like the rest (?) of the world. :slight_smile: )

Then I got the measuring cups which improved the situation considerably.

@KenH when I come to stay with you - and I’m sure that I will eventually - could I have English beans on toast instead? If I remember rightly your partner is English so I’m sure she understands that beans on toast is the perfect treat for breakfast!

There’s a tip for anyone who serves breakfast and has English non-meat-eating guests. :slight_smile:

My friend whose family is from India makes an amazing beans on toast. Fry onions, add cumin, turmeric, garlic, salt pepper and baked beans (Heinz of course) on a medium heat. Stir in a spoon of butter and serve on some lovely crusty white or brown bread (toasted).

1 Like

Haha, this American is starting to gag! But I also have texture issues with beans. Sadly most people think I’m crazy about not liking normal things like chili, hummus, basically anything with that texture.

1 Like

This will make all my UK friends on here laugh. There are very few stores that carry the UK Heinz beans and when you can find them they are in the International Aisle which once upon a time was call Exotic.

Yes. Heinz beans. Exotic.

1 Like

My exotic aisle is called “Amazon.”

3 Likes

We buy English Heinz baked beans in our local Publix supermarket. But of course, there are a lot of English people in South Florida.

On New Year’s Eve, the fireworks start here at 7 pm - which is midnight in the UK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“On New Year’s Eve, the fireworks start here at 7 pm…”

Is that due to the run on baked beans?

3 Likes

Quite possibly! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I kid you not…I fixed a 15-bean soup for lunch today (it came in one bag…I didn’t buy 15 types of beans).

I told the hubs who is out playing 9 holes of golf with a neighbor, “Do be careful on those full swings…in fact, be gentle on the back swing as well.”

1 Like

@jaquo of course you can have the expensive UK Beans on toast, I get them at Publix too, for special guests. I actually had beans on toast for brekkie this morning, but I was taste testing a new-to-me Bush’s Asian BBQ Beans – really yummy sauce!

FWIW, I’m making Brit style Toad-In-A-Hole for lunch this coming Sunday. My partner’s Mum found real Irish-made Bangers at Costco in a kilo package! So we’re having T-I-T-H with mashed potatos, hot Bisto gravy and peas, when Mum comes for lunch.

1 Like