Unauthorized pets

We have a strict no pet policy due to white carpets throughout the property but keep catching guests on our outdoor camera with dogs.
Opinions? Any recourse?
Thank you!

Put your penalty in your House Rules. Cancellation, high fee, as you prefer. As soon as you catch them, download the camera video and report them to Airbnb.

8 Likes

Do not let them in to begin with, if it is happening often then I would start meeting them at the door.

RR

6 Likes

If you are having problems it also wouldn’t hurt to mention your no-pet policy explicitly in your welcoming message. If it really matters to you, you can use pretty strong wording:

“We’re glad you chose our home for your stay! Just a reminder, we have a strict no pet policy. Guests arriving with pets will have their reservations cancelled with no refund.”

6 Likes

I have a fine in my rules $100 per day. I’ve only had to collect once on Vrbo, and it went well. Not sure if I would get push back on Airbnb.

3 Likes

Depending on the cost of your listing and the costs of other pet-friendly places in the same area, I can see people gambling on a fee of just $100/day. For people who have money to throw around, they might assume that if they don’t get caught they’ll get away with it, and if they do, they can “just pay the fine” and continue to stay at your place.

I would change the penalty to something truly punitive, like $100/day for any days they stayed there, plus a significant additional cleaning fee, plus a cancelled booking without refund for the remainder of the stay. That will remove people from rolling the dice and trying to get away with it, because the result would be way worse if they’re caught.

3 Likes

I also have a $500 security deposit. So I would try to collect damages if Fido also caused damage.

1 Like

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:Good luck!:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

dont you have everyone sign and intial a contract before coming in your door? with penalties and costs for violation?
If you are trusting a listing site to enforce for you…well …hello dogs.

1 Like

Why are you (or your co host) letting them in in the first place?

When you say “any recourse?” what are you doing now when you see them on the camera? And it doesn’t sounds as though your ‘strict no pets’ policy is strict enough.

2 Likes

I think I will need to start doing this. Airbnb doesn’t seem to be supporting me with my house rules as a host with guests who violate them so having a separate document will at least provide another avenue to try to compel compliance.

It just sucks though that in order to so do requires an entire small claims court process because there is no actual deposit collected by anyone.

It sounded to me like the pets were not made known to the OP at all, so were hidden during check-in (either in the vehicle or off site). I have had this happen before with not only pets but extra people.

4 Likes

Once the host or co host has seen them on camera, the guests should be told to leave though.

1 Like

Agreed. The difficult part with that though is that the guest can refuse and/or do more damage…

2 Likes

That’s true. Guests check themselves in, we never see them. Once in a while I review security camera because the house is in a remote spot and that’s how I started noticing dogs. I never check while the guests are there because it seems creepy (although it’s an outdoor/driveway camera) but it’s annoying and disappointing.

Thanks, yes, it would work but we’re not there and they know they are checking in by themselves.

I recommend that you DO check while guests are there.

4 Likes

It’s your property, and the cameras are outside. I presume you have disclosed that you have outdoor cameras - you have the right to use them. Our disclosure on the (outdoor) cameras says they are there “so we can monitor the property and compliance with house rules, and in case of an incident”.

2 Likes

Good luck. Air’s “deposit” is not a true deposit.

3 Likes

Why would anyone put WHITE carpets in a short term rental.? Are you entirely daft?

1 Like