Unauthorized late check out fee

I suggest you revise your checkin time to 4pm in case of situations like this. 2pm is cutting it close.

1 Like

I recently wen’t through this myself. I actually think the guy was doing drugs in my house. I agree that an honest review stating factually what you just wrote was warranted. I wish more hosts were honest in their reviews. My problem guest had excellent reviews. I can’t imagine how…Thank you for posting this. I left my guest a very honest review. P.S. he had someone come by at 1am to drop off some “money” they owed him. hmmm

OMG, some people are so inconsiderate! I’d appreciate if you gave him an honest review so that he won;t do it to other hosts. This is ridiculous.

I never had that but I had 3 attempts for “early” check-in, meaning 17 hours early, aka free night.

If they revise it to 4pm, then guests will want to leave at 5pm.

How annoying. I would continue trying to charge him and escalate to Airbnb if you can and leave him a review detailing what he did as far as blatantly disregarding the rules.

I want to know how to set this up. I’ve had several people check out hours late despite warnings. Can you tell me where I can set up the late check out fee? Thanks!

You could put it in your house rules maybe and have a security deposit. Good luck enforcing it though, a lot of people here have had trouble with that.

Simply put the fee you want to charge in your house rules. The OP states that he does this

Despite his communication with the guest he got the guest telling him they would check out late and he called Airbnb.

Keep in mind you have to enforce it in the form of putting in the request. That will have to be via the Resolution Center and if the guest declines to pay then Airbnb should (note should but not will) back you up. If you put in the request and the guest doesn’t pay then you have to wait 3 days before you can escalate it.

Had another guest blatantly stay late, told me they weren’t ready to leave and hour after the check out, refused to the allow the maid to enter, then left the apartment fully trashed complete with ruined / stained bed sheets. Once again, Airbnb upheld my request for late check out fee - $75 per any fraction of an hour. I was compensated $150 for her 1.5 hr late check out. The maid was very happy when I passed that on to her.

5 Likes

So, to be able to claim the late checkout fee, do you have to take a deposit? Or can airbnb charge even without it?

So I’ve had mixed answers / experiences with Airbnb. I always require a deposit. I’ve submitted the claim & had it approved and processed on the same day. I’ve also had to wait several days, and Airbnb told me the guest was not consenting to the charge (which leads me to assume the security deposit really isn’t a gaurantee), but that Airbnb was providing me the payout since it was listed in my rules & I provided proof of the rule violation.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading @sobepuppy’s story. They handled a difficult situation perfectly and are a good example for new hosts in terms of how to handle difficult guests. I’m glad they got the review removed though also surprised since I’ve heard of other hosts being told lies aren’t a violation of the TOS since the guest is sharing their experience.

I had something similar happen with the guests leaving their luggage in a messy apartment. My guests asked me the night before If they could store their luggage, and I said yes, place it in the garage. I left guests do this often because they can let themselves in and out of the garage and I don’t have to meet them so it is not inconvenient to me.

My checkout is at 11 am. I live upstairs and hadn’t heard the guests stir yet (sound carries in my house) so I messaged them at 10:50 reminding them of checkout and to leave their luggage in the garage.

They message me at 11:05 that they’re out of the apartment. Their luggage is packed but in a huge heap in the middle of a messy living room. Suitcases, smaller bags, groceries, etc. I move it all to the garage and start cleaning. I need the full 4-hour window to get the apartment clean. It isn’t trashed, but every surface is dirty. The guests stayed 3 nights and were out most of the time. Nothing here is terrible but they didn’t follow my checkout instructions (put things back where you found them, tidy up, leave the luggage in the garage). I haven’t reviewed them yet since I’m not sure if this is worth a thumbs down.

I always think of this as “would you host them again?” If I don’t want them back I assume no one else ever wants them either.

1 Like

@Fahed @Xena @sobepuppy

You may have found this before but looking for something else I found the part of the Airbnb TOS on charging a late check out fee and thought I’d repost it here:

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host’s consent (“ Overstay ”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, " Overstay Fees "). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms

3 Likes

Thanks!

I wonder what they mean by this bit? The overstay fee will be reduced if you don’t have to relocate your next guests, I get that much, but limited by how much?