UK tax changes for self-catering lets

UK tax changes 1 April 2023

Any hosts with an opinion on this?
For our selves we will avoid self- catering for our garden cottage, and go for longer- term lets. Min 6 months. For our shared home we will today come off AirBnB and just use our web site and stay under the limit…

It’s quite an increase in taxation, an attack on short term self- catering lets as many believe AIRBnB is partly to blame for the shortage of rentals, which is seriously bad for tenants. However, I doubt that this tax change will make much of a difference to the availability of rentals for tenants.
It will take some doing for any government to carry out checks too.

1 Like

I also doubt it will change the business much. Hosts will raise their prices but people will still stay in the best rentals and pay a bit more. The key is every STR host paying the tax. If some try to evade the tax as you suggest here

then the evaders will have a short term advantage. I’m guessing the government does most “checks” now with software that works faster than any clerk can.

if you are getting plenty of bookings via your website, there’s no reason to give Airbnb their cut.

Best of luck and report back if you learn anything from your experience of cutting the cord with Airbnb.