Uegent help needed -Wedding venue cancelled -- need your help, please!

I have had Weddings and plan to do many more in the future but would not dream of using AirBnB as a listing service, totally unsuited.

I have some sympathy with the Host who cancelled, suckered by the AirBnB Guarantee which turned out to be totally lacking in substance.

As an aside if the Host was bothered sounds like the cancellation could be under extenuating circumstances, sounds like he delisted so all moot.

The media issue would be the damage done and the failure of the AirBnB Guarantee.

Not sure how practical AirBnB’s help would be in finding another venue, how many Hosts allow events?

Although an adult, the daughter of the OP remains her child i.e. the offspring of the OP. Unfortunately, in our vernacular, there is no commonly used single word to describe
an adult child of a parent.

How very rude of you to attack the OP with your first sentence in the above paragraph. And how ignorant. It is customary in many cultures, including the North American culture, for the mother of the bride to plan the wedding. It is considered caring to relieve the prospective bride of as many tasks as possible prior to the event.

1 Like

@astralita12 , if you re-read Helsi’s post, she was not responding to the OP (and I don’t believe you are allowed to call another poster “ignorant”).

4 Likes

That’s right, you may not call names.
You may disagree with the idea all you want but you may not attack the poster.

Let’s keep this civil, okay? There are lots of different viewpoints about this situation. None of them are wrong. They are all just opinions.

5 Likes

I think this is a vast overgeneralization. I planned my own wedding and so did all of my friends. Their moms were not involved.

4 Likes

As it is the OP who planned the venue for her daughter’s wedding, it is the OP whose action is being judged by the response of:

A display of ignorance of a fact ( in this case of a accepted custom ) is, in fact, being ignorant of the fact.

I should have written: And how very ignorant you are of a fact.

Thank you SandyToes, for alerting me to a less judgemental expression.

@astralita12

You are still missing the fact that Helsi’s post (#60), is addressed to EllenN…not the OP.

Also, your restatement, “…how very ignorant you are of a fact” is not an improvement over the original because you are still calling the poster a (disallowed) name.

4 Likes

In the culture from which I hail, it would be considered gauche in the extreme for a bride to be involved in any aspect of the planning of her wedding.
Perhaps that’s why I understand the OP’s management of the logistics for her daughter’s nuptials and feel empathy for her now that her plans have dissolved.
MissMiami, tomorrow is another day and I hope you waken with renewed energy and resolve to seek another venue for the wedding.
When happenings occur, as with your thwarted plans, I trust, even when I am disappointed or dismayed, that there is a reason for a forced change of direction. We cannot know what potential negative outcome we have avoided when directed by circumstance to pursue a path different from our first intention.
I don’t doubt you’ll be thrilled with all the details of the day you celebrate your child’s wedding ceremony.
Now, find another spot for it and trust all will be very well.

2 Likes
  1. I didn’t ‘attack’ the OP. I was making a comment to @EllenN

2. How rude of you to call me ignorant. Just because your experience of weddings in the US is that brides don’t take any part in organising them, doesn’t mean it is customary. Or that it reflects my own experience.

In my experience (many of my family and friends live in the US), the bride always either organises key elements of the event, (sometimes with the help of a wedding planner) or certainly has a leading role and would be involved in choosing the venue, catering, cake, dress, flowers etc, as has been confirmed by others here who are from the US.

2 Likes

I assume MissMiami is in the US?

Oh @Como you are funny… Ms Miami is from… Miami :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, bridezilla is a word for a reason! I don’t know of anyone who didn’t participate in the planning of their own wedding. This is from my professional as well as personal experience here in the USA. I’ve lived on both coasts, taught at a college where event planning was part of the major, and planned many events. Mother of the bride plays an important role for sure. I can’t imagine a mother and daughter not working together on such an important event.

1 Like

I planned my sisters wedding, at a distance. I even bought her dress, and made her veil. It met her needs at the time. It was at her request, and as a loving sister I did it for her.
It’s none of our business how the wedding is planned. OP was asking for help in dealing with a cancelled Airnb booking and she thought fellow hosts would offer her help. She didn’t come here to be told how to raise her family, who should plan the wedding. It’s presumptuous, rude, and insensitive to impose your culture, beliefs on another person.

7 Likes

Actually if you read her post she came here to “out” the host on social media or pursue a lawsuit. And she posted the address of the venue which was removed by the mods.

3 Likes

“Dealing with” encompasses OP’s post’s objective.

@MissMiami - I don’t know if this will be helpful, but you might try VRBO/Homeaway. I think they have a search filter for their “Luxury Properties”. You certainly could search for “Price: High to Low” and get the larger properties first.

I mention this because most owners there have real contracts with you - not just house rules. You probably can negotiate a more even contract than you would have on AirBnB.

Good luck, and my condolences that this is happening to you.

fyi Airbnb is apparently exploring the idea of having a category of listings that are suitable for events. I was approached recently as someone whose property might be suitable for such a category, but I decided not to respond because I don’t want to piss off my neighbors. More to the topic, I agree with others who say find another venue. Commercial wedding venues don’t have to be soulless. I get a whole lot of wedding guests at my listing because we have so many incredible wedding venues in my area (Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, and especially Malibu). Once you have chosen an alternative venue, just rent a nearby Airbnb for the bride and groom to stay the night before the wedding. I wouldn’t waste my time or energy trying to sue a russian oligarch when you have a wedding to plan. Try to take a deep breath and move on. Sh*t happens, but you don’t have to step in it.

4 Likes

@lahope and other fellow hosts who shared kind words and suggestions – I will update you all on the developments.

1 Like

That was done by accident. OP thought she was posting that address in a private message to me, and knowing she’s made a mistake, I brought it to the attention of the mods and asked them to remove it.

2 Likes

If owner’s issue is airbnb then contact them directly!

But this sounds like an excuse, and I’d begin looking around for other venues even as you try to resolve this issue!