U.K. Tax for AirBnB hosts? Property or Holiday Let?

I haven’t read all the comments, but unless things have changed Airbnb can be seen/taxed as self employed income not property income.

If you live in the property at the same time as guests you can use the ‘rent a room’ scheme to get a tax rebate.

The best thing to do is look in the HMRC website and ring them when you come across something you can’t understand.

You might also want to post the question on a UK hosts group or search the topic on a UK hosts group.

2 Likes

Duplication…20 20 20

Don’t forget the option to earn up to £7500 and not be liable for tax, though it must be declared, on your own home. This is in addition to your standard tax threshold allowance.
Our accountant notifies HMRC via our annual tax return.

PS this is a much debated issue, I suggest you check on moneysupermarket.com who have an article on AirBnB taxation to confirm.

Simon,

I came to this site a while ago and also found it very adversarial, and still do!
As a recent example, I recently had an issue, so decided to review past postings to make sure I wasn’t making duplicate posts or asking questions that had already been answered.

I think it’s often called research …

Having read the relevant posts, I made the mistake of responding to a post over three years old instead of making a new post, which in ‘normal forums’, that would be good etiquette.
Shortly after, the post was ‘locked’ with the message that the post was locked because some of the posters may no longer be posting or have died. Forget that the information may have been relevant. I was told it is standard practice to lock old posts, yet it seemed strange that it wasn’t locked until I responded!!

Thankfully there are some decent people on here aswell as a few cable throwers who are very experienced and they and their ‘followers’ could really help people at times if they weren’t so far up themselves.

Best wishes and DLTBGYD …

1 Like

Duplication 20 20 20 …

1 Like

i actually did contact HMRC, to be given advice that was totally wrong - it was pointed out to me by my accountant and evidenced in several different ‘resources’, including momeysupermarket.com !

apparently it was the chancellors intent to enact a certain process, but it never became law and was never enacted (relating to the rent a room scheme) - shame that those who collect our taxes were not made aware LOL

what does Duplication 20 20 20 mean ? has the original message been deleted or removed for some reason?

A reminder: From the FAQ about this group:

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion
Improve the Discussion
Be Agreeable When You Disagree
`You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people.

Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Always be civil.

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.

Indeed HMRC and also accountants often give incorrect or conflicting information!
All I know is I have been using the rent-a-room scheme, as have many others. I have Airbnb over the summer and a boarder over the winter.
I will look for the discussion you mentioned, unless you have a link?

We are locking the posts manually and most old posts aren’t responded to. So rather than spend time locking old posts needlessly, they are locked when they come to our attention by being posted on.

It’s good etiquette to see if you question has been answered already. Posting on old topics and making them active again is annoying to so many people it’s known as “necroing” in the online community. You can google the term for more information.

Preventing this can also be done via a tool built into the software this forum uses. A timer can be set so that a topic auto closes after a set time period has passed. But this would have to be done by a moderator and for the great majority of topics it’s not necessary until someone necros it.

1 Like

You can still read locked posts so that relevant information is available.

3 Likes

I think that idea/concept of locking old posts in case anyone is annoyed is annoying.

in my opinion, people are more annoyed that the same questions are repeated and would prefer someone to try to find out the answer to their question before posting the same question and getting the same responses that have been made earlier. my post added to the discussion…

the process/concept appears to be that someone might be annoyed, so in order to stop theose who might be annoyed, being annoyed, the post is locked. why not wait until someone is actually and genuinely annoyed and says so before taking action?

I am annoyed that you locked and ended a perfectly useful thread, what about protecting my ‘feelings’, or dont i matter?

i didnt recall see anyone react to my post saying, ‘I am so annoyed that someone made this post active again’

In fact i am so annoyed that my gabber is flasted and i am going for a lie down… in reality what difference has it made? my post can still be seen, the other posts can still be read …and all that has happened is that you have created the annoyance you thought you were preventing even though no-one had said they were annoyed (though no doubt a few will be along soon to say how they annoyed they were about my post).

i hope you do your best to make sure i am not annoyed by their posts if it happens.

there is another term, not just in the online community but in the real world, - its called ‘woke’ - perhaps those interested might look that up? - i am sure it gets far more hits more use and causes more annoyance than necroing ever will do!

PS - i did look up necroing –

the first google entry gives this definition

It means bringing up a dead thread (usually a month or more since the last post) without providing anything meaningful to add to it. It is frowned upon and considered very annoying.25 Oct 2017

i would point you to the part where it says WITHOUT PROVIDING ANYTHING MEANINGFUL TO ADD TO IT … i think my post added something meaningful to the discussion …hardly necroing then was it?

1 Like

For each person who is annoyed by something on this forum there is someone who is annoyed by the opposite. We aren’t going to please everyone. Nevertheless, closing old threads is common on online forums. That’s why there is a tool to do so automatically built into the software. It has seemed to me that the consensus of members here was that they preferred that old threads be closed but I don’t have a dog in this show.

3 Likes

it am surprised that there is consensus is that old threads should be closed - but of course i would be more than willing to be corrected when you can show me how or where that consensus was determined?

it seems to me that someone suggesting that a consensus has been reached should be able to actually show how or where and when that consensus was reached by the majority of members, thats by the actual majority of members not just those who make the majority of posts. otherwise its just their opinion and has no more validity than someone elses opinion. even if they try to dress it up in the emperors clothes …

if no actual consensus has ever been reached by all the members, then your comment could even be considered as online bullying by pretending that it has been, but of course i dont think you would do that and i am more than happy to be shown where that consensus has been reached.

i would also ask that if there is a tool to close threads automatically, why was the thread closed manually. if the criteria for closing it hadnt been reached then it shouldnt have been closed, it should have been left until such time as that criteria within the forum process and rules had been met.

if it can be pointed out in the forum guidelnes/rules that it states old posts will be locked and gives a clear guidance on when something becomes ‘old’enough’ to be locked, then it becomes a rule but still doesnt become a consensus of the majority of members. and until it reaches or meets the criteria it should not be closed.

and ‘apparently’, a person doesnt actually need a dog to go dogging …

but back to your first comment re someone being annoyed by an ‘opposite’ - there was no indication that anyone was actually annoyed at me making a post on an old thread at the time, it was just that someone thought that someone might be annoyed - though i suspect there may be some waiting in the wings to say they were annoyed or know someone who might be annoyed but didnt want to show their annoyance but now they are really annoyed!

I dont get annoyed when someone has an opposite view/opinion to mine, its natural for people to have opposing views and opinion and in fact very healthy for society, i do however get annoyed when people pontificate.

1 Like

What a rude comment to make in my opinion !

2 Likes

Did you join this forum to exchange information, give and receive help, or to criticize the way it is run and chastize other posters for their comments?

2 Likes

@KKC has just opened a poll on this very subject in order to get a current consensus.

See here: Poll: Closing posts/necroing posts - #9 by HostAirbnbVRBO

Isn’t it legitimate – and something we really want – for a member to make suggestions on how they perceive things could be managed more effectively? @KKC to her credit has opened a poll on just this subject. The comments there as well as KKC’s prior comments show that it is a little more complicated than it first appears. Both @Adria and KKC have acted in an exemplary way here.

@Adria’s comments or criticisms are consistent with and reminders of forum guidelines to be civil, no name calling, no ad hominem attacks, being respectful. In that Adria was pretty brave and serves the community well especially when the poster who made the uncivil comments is so well respected, such a strong contributor to the community and for whom a rude comment is the exception not the rule.

In an ideal world that would be great.

The problem I have right now is that you repeat these same things over and over. People may read it once, and disagree or agree but it is a huge turn off to see this on half your posts.

I’m not religious, but have to say it reminds me a little of preachers trying to push things at people by repetition.

People are going to stop reading anything you write because it’s so repetitious and above it all.

3 Likes

Well, by signing up for this forum we all implicitly agreed to this. It’s not something that any of us have a right to disagree with UNLESS we member want to change the guidelines. Do we want to say something like “While generally you should be civil, not name call and be respectful, now and then it’s OK to blow off some steam and go after a poster you don’t like?”

I agree that it’s repetitious. It’s repeated because apparently some folks need to be reminded repeatedly. It seems to me that either we have a code of conduct we all agree to (and we DO have one, as copied above) or we don’t. Or we want to change it. If we want to change it let’s do it. If not, let’s hold each other accountable for it.

Maybe it’s not effective to remind members of the forum guidelines that we all signed up for. Do you have another suggestion to hold each other accountable, to keep this forum civil, to prevent or reduce the bullying?