Type of guest to avoid?

What?? Lobsters?!!! (arrggh!) Stop-it!

You just knew that would lure some people (ahem)…me to the forefront. Cruel.

Oh gosh! I was specifically warned by the tech to keep moisture (drool) off the keyboard.

Too late.

1 Like

My bad, I should not have mentioned lobsters, instead stone crabs, big ones, with meat filled claws…::grimacing:

1 Like

Oh nooo, stone crabs?!!..with meat-filled claws?!!..ahhh…(swoon)!

I think SandyToes is down.

Anybody have any smelling salts…or sea water?

1 Like

The only problem with eating those delish crustaceans is that you have to put a live thing in boiling water. :crab::plate_with_cutlery::fork_and_knife::tired_face::cry::sweat:

Though your guest was mean about it, I do understand about the wind chimes. The sound of wind chimes carries a long way. One place I lived, a neighbor had one. I’d be sleeping in the quiet, then suddenly the chime. My sleeping brain would think it was something I had to respond to, like a phone or alarm clock. Wake up and realize it’s only the wind chime, but them I’m awake. Start to doze off and damn, it rings again.

When a hurricane came through I hoped it would blow the chime away. It rang continually, but didn’t blow away. In the eye of the storm I went out and knocked it down with a broom, and later asked the condo assoc to ask her not to put another one up.

Another neighbor had her chime just inside her own front door. She heard it every time she cam and went, but the rest of us were not disturbed by it.

2 Likes

Yup, I get the wind chime thing. That’s why I took them down for her. Mind you, NO chimes were near her rental. She was talking about chimes that were in the main house area. Chimes she cannot possibly hear from down there. And she was crabbing mainly about the teeny bamboo ones. Also not hung near her rental. First guest ever to make such a complaint.

1 Like

Bloody moans they are! I just had a guy make a stupid comment in the review, saying he should note there is no en-suite. I felt like saying , no shit Sherlock, it states private bathroom, not en-suite. Seriously why don’t they read!
It clearly states, private bathroom is for guest exclusive use only, as we have our own bathroom.
GRR

2 Likes

I think that the definition of “private bathroom” can be confusing. To some people that means a bathroom that only they will use. To others it means en suite, the private part being that you don’t have to get dressed to access it.

A recent potential guest was full of questions above and beyond just the booking procedure/house information. He went back and forth with me that our pricing was too high and he could book the Best Western (with breakfast) closest to us for less why so would we not extend him a very large discount. After he realized we were not budging on the price he started asking questions regarding his trip as a whole. How far was the drive from NYC to Orlando, what kind of car should he rent, what other things than the obvious parks in town and what his family could do for activities/stop offs on the drive down. I let him know after you complete the booking we may be able to suggest some things. (Nothing more than what a goggle search would have brought up but still would have tried to help him). I never heard from him again!
I learned from this site that people with the most questions before booking are often high maintenance so I’m feel fortunate he never booked.

7 Likes

Yes! Hand wringers are big big trouble! Never book them or you will be sorry. I was!

1 Like

Private means it is for your use alone. I don’t think it’s confusing. I think people just need to understand the meaning of terms. Having said that, a quick search does suggest that “private” in practice is used for as a synonym for “en suite”. E.g. Oxford Languages | The Home of Language Data

Maybe it’s better to make it explicit in the listing.

1 Like

Just say adjacent private bathroom!

pri·vate\ˈprī-vət
adjective
: for the use of a single person or group : belonging to one person or group : not public
: not relating to a person’s official position or job
: not known by the public or by other people
Full Definition
1 a : intended for or restricted to the use of a particular person, group, or class
b : belonging to or concerning an individual person, company, or interest

c (1) : restricted to the individual or arising independently of others (2) : carried on by the individual independently of the usual institutions
; also : being educated by independent study or a tutor or in a private school
d : not general in effect

e : of, relating to, or receiving hospital service in which the patient has more privileges than a semiprivate or ward patient

1 Like

Hmm, not sure that would be an improvement. There’s still room for misunderstanding with the word adjacent. I’d just say something like “the bathroom is private but not attached to the room. I.e. it is not en suite”.

1 Like

Been using this term since 2010, not one problem. But I see your point!

Well, if someone could misunderstand the term “private”, then he/she might also misunderstand the term “adjacent”.

2 Likes

Just changed my wording, don’t like it, but it’s staying as is till I come up with something better, but I’ve never had a guest yet comment on the bathroom not being en suite.
“As a guest, you have exclusive access and use of the upstairs queen sized bedroom and full bathroom. The bathroom is not en-suite, but the upstairs of the house is exclusively yours. Your host (that would be me), sleeps in a downstairs twin sized bedroom and uses the full bathroom downstairs.”

6 Likes

I think that’s fine. I understand what you mean…

Guests just need to read properly!

1 Like

Hi @brook2adks,

If you haven’t already, it might be worth mentioning explicitly what the upstairs full bathroom contains.

@brook2adks so in essence the guest has upstairs and you downstairs? If so, I would say: 'You will be staying upstairs (queen-sized bed and full bathroom) and downstairs is our living quarters". No need to describe how YOU be living, nor reffer to yourself in the third person, since in all likelihood your real name is a lot more friendly sounding than calling yourself ‘Host’. :sunglasses:

The ‘full’ bathroom has its own shower right? Why you call it ‘full’? Just checking. No clue what ‘en suite’ means, never heard the term.

1 Like

I’m surprised at this. What do you call a bathroom that has a door that opens into the bedroom or into a dressing room/closet? It it not necessary to leave the guest room to enter a hallway and then enter the bathroom? I use the term en-suite but maybe people don’t know what it means.