Type of guest to avoid?

I remember when I was in the UK and they mandated that teachers could no longer say ‘blackboard’ - it had to be ‘chalkboard’. But we had whiteboards in the office and that was fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I been mainly gone from the US for 6 years now (in Belize). If and when I return, I probably would feel I am walking on eggshells in its new totally-neutered society and probably leave again soon after. I mean really people all this PC nonsense is absurd.

8 Likes

Anyone that asks me to meet in person before booking, anyone asking about bringing furniture, people who try to haggle with me too much. And unfortunately I turned down an Irish guy near st. Patrick’s day because a week before that I had an Irish guy throw up all over my bathroom and [later found to my horror] on my mattress which he tried to hide by flipping it over.

I actually really like my older guests because they help me like a nice grandparent. I find that younger guests question how I got my large apt and my mom thinks they get jealous. More than once I’ve had guests try to get extremely friendly with me only to try to force me into giving them discounts or buying them things for their room [ie. extra closets, new mattress, free stay for their friends]. This has lead to me being very stand offish and only offering travel advice. I will not go out for beer or drinks with my guests.

“Q” is actually for “queer”. It covers all the bases.

2 Likes

Not that it’s of any consequence, but according to Human Rights Campaign spokesperson Fred Sainz and The Welcoming Project, it can mean either.

2 Likes

Here’s one type of guest to avoid…

I bet you didn’t have many brits if you state that last paragraph. 100% opposed to my experience

Based on my experience - I tend to prefer older guests as they have been very neat and respectful. The few younger guests (20-28) I have had have been more trouble and left more of a party mess behind. My property is a little more expensive and tends to get the more mature type guest.

I do not care what age, race, etc., my guests are as long as they take care of the property and follow the rules. I do wish we could set up preferences for the types of guest we want, not so much for my rental as I am open to all, but so when I am traveling I could maybe determine if I may be a good fit for someone’s property, and if they may have certain biases.

1 Like

Perhaps a " Property is best suited for XYZ" option in AirBnB be a good addition. Every time someone inquires about my place, I immediately send them a ‘General Information’ list, which includes the following line in the first paragraph: “The island is best suited for the self-sufficient at heart and resourceful in nature”, In other words, if you like to be cared to and are the demanding type, they are looking at the wrong place.

Also, if I get an inquiry from a group of 20-28 year old (in all likelihood party animals), especially from a country just north of the Mexican border and south of the Canadian border - my caution immediately rises. Especially if they ask how many tons of beer cargo can my 28ft boat hold, usually that definitely gives them away. :grin:

3 Likes

You mean the island doesn’t come with a keg on ice?

1 Like

Keg? A brewery on the island is what they are looking for. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Found it by googling.

1 Like

LMAO. post must be 20 characters

1 Like

Funniest thing I’ve read today!

1 Like

Generally, 25-35 give best reviews. If they try to negotiate price, you will find they are picky about everything.

3 Likes

I’ve had some twenty couples stay in my double bed so far (apart from more than one hundred single travellers in the other room). I often wondered, but I only once found any evidence of sex going on.

Perhaps I am deaf, or perhaps I am doing something wrong. Why would any couple NOT have sex when staying at an Airbnb?

4 Likes

[quote=“Eberhard_Blocher, post:249, topic:1288”]
Why would any couple NOT have sex when staying at an Airbnb?
[/quote

The thought of someone listening to me have sex (especially certain kinds of strangers) would be a real turn off. And if I did have sex I would want to make sure I didn’t leave any evidence behind. The thought of some creeper examining the linens and towels for evidence…ugh.

As for what you are doing wrong…hmm. Who knows?

1 Like

This sounds like it should be posted on another kind of forum! :smile:

5 Likes

Inquiries I’ve declined include:

Hi, we’re coming to Chicago for my buddies bachelor party. There will be six of us. We might have a friend stop by, but they wouldn’t be there overnight.

My friend is getting married next month and we want to throw her a bachelorette party. It’s going to be a surprise, though, so we were wondering if maybe you could help us set up while we take her shopping?

I’m going to be in town for Thanksgiving and was wondering a. can we fit 16 people around the dining room table, and b. since you live upstairs, would it be ok if we could also use your oven?

(from someone who had already booked): I hate to ask, but my brother’s lodging fell through, and now he needs a place to stay too. Can they join us? He is already en route from India, so I desperately need someplace for him to stay. It would just be him, his wife, their four children, and their nanny.

All true, plucked straight from the messages. :flushed:

11 Likes

HO-LEE-COW! What did you tell him?

2 Likes