Trust in the sharing economy! Final year student needs you!

I am a final year Business Management Student at the University of Edinburgh and I am doing my final university project on AirBnB. I would be so grateful if you could answer some of the following questions for me! My topic is about trust in the sharing economy, so basically why people place trust in airBnB. I know you are very busy but if you could help me with my research I would be so grateful. If you dont want to answer all these questions then I am happy if you dont but If you can answer some that would be great.

Thanks, Rebecca.

1. How many times have you used Airbnb, and in what capacity (as a guest or host)?

2. Why do you use Airbnb as opposed to traditional accommodation?

3. Are there certain Airbnb standard practices or policies that increase your trust in Airbnb?

4. Are there certain features of the Airbnb community as whole that, to you, make it more trustworthy?

5. Why do you use Airbnb over other peer-to-peer accommodation websites?

6. Do you have any concerns about using Airbnb as opposed to traditional accommodation?

7. What do you perceive as the greatest risks involved in peer-to-peer accommodation sharing?

8. As a guest, please describe your usual process that you go through in looking for a place to stay. What sorts of things in host profiles do you look for or read through before sending a reservation request to a host?

9. What are the most important elements of a profile that you look for before sending a reservation request to a host (for example, a photo, a bio, connected social media pages, etc.)? Which are essential? Why?

10. Did you connect your Facebook account to your profile when you signed up? Why or why not?

11. Do you make any decisions to send reservation requests based on second-degree Facebook connections? For example, if you and the host have mutual friends, or if one of your Facebook friends has reviewed the host, would that impact your decision to send a reservation request to the host? In what way?

12. Would you stay with a host who has not yet been reviewed by other guests? Why or why not? What other elements of the host’s profile might mitigate the lack of reviews?

13. It is essential that the host has a picture? How about a bio? If not, how important is it? Why?

14. Is it essential that the host has a verified email OR telephone number before you send the reservation request? If not, how important is it? Why?

15. Is it essential that the host has a verified offline (government-issued) ID before you send a reservation request? If not, how important is it? Why?

1. 14 times as a host.
  2. N/a
  3. As a host its a great way of finding decent people to rent your space. Plus the community thats attached is great.
  4. Reviews.
  5. See 3.
  6. Nope.
  7. Not having the right insurance for hosting. Many people don’t and are at great risk.
  8. N/a
  9. N/a
  10. Yes. It adds to the element of trust.
  11. N/a
  12. As a host I don’t care if they are a first timer.
  13. Yes I believe a host should show themselves.
  14. Yes a host should be as verified as possible.
  15. See 14.

Sometimes it seems that everyone in the world is doing some sort of study on Airbnb :slight_smile:

1. As a host on Airbnb, probably about 50. As a guest, never.
  2. N/A
  3. It has worked wonderfully for us.
  4. Other hosts will disagree but the customer service is excellent.
  5. Cheaper, more user-friendly and the market leader
  6. N/A
  7. That illegal hosts are affecting the reputation of genuine hosts
  8. N/A
  9. N/A
  10. I use Instant Book so I do not check out guests
  11. Yes.
  12. Other questions - not relevant for hosts.

Can you out these questions on to a survey monkey it’s too hard to answer these on my phone

Thank you so much for your response. If you know anyone who is a host and would be willing to answer my questions that would be fantastic!

Hi there! Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask which location your AirBnB is in? If you know any other hosts who would be willing to answer a few of my questions that would be fantastic.

Hi Kirsty_Jane,

I’ll set up a survey monkey and post it on the form tonight.

Many thanks,

Rebecca

these are questions for guests aren’t they? not hosts

Hi, They can be applicable to hosts also. Some questions can remain unanswered.

I answered in the quoted sections. I’m in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY.

Hi Rebecca, it’s in South Florida.