Trip request - no response from potential guest - now what?

When it rains, it pours :rofl:

So we get our first “Trip request” on ABB today from a new Airbnb member, trying to make their first ever reservation.

Since all this terminology is driving me nuts I have to ask if this would be an ‘RTB’?
request

Anywho, we have IB turned on for good guests, hence this person has to send a request to us which we now have to approve or decline.

Since this process is supposed to vet the guest before approval, I’m wondering what happens when the guest is not responding to any of my messages asking for information and agreement to our house rules prior to accepting their request?

I responded to their message within 5 minutes but it seems that they have fallen off the face of the earth.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Do the messages in a trip request chat also indicate if the other party has ‘read’ the message, confirming that they have seen the message?

2. If, after 23 hours, I don’t hear back from the guest and having this ‘response time’ blade swinging above my head, I probably prefer to decline the request to be a ‘good boy’. Or should I just let it expire on its own?

I did have an issue recently with a guest who didn’t keep their profile up to date and customer support told me to let the inquiry expire on its own since the guest didn’t understand my messages and didn’t take necessary action. In that instance I was told that this would not hurt my ranking etc. But I don’t know if it is different with a trip request. Anyone?

Yes, what you received was a RTB. And just because you responded in 5 minutes doesn’t mean the guest might not take longer to respond. Also, newbie guests may nothave their notification alerts turned on, so don’t even know there is a message for them.

Yes, it shows below the message if tthe guest has read it.

[quote=“Hosterer, post:1, topic:60841”] I
did have an issue recently with a guest who didn’t keep their profile up to date and customer support told me to let the inquiry expire on its own since the guest didn’t understand my messages and didn’t take necessary action.
[/quote]

That is for an Inquiry, not a Request. You never have to pre-approve or decline an inquiry, all you have to do is answer it within 24 hours.

No, you should never let a RTB expire. It counts as a decline anyway and lowers your response rate, which is a stat used for Superhost criteria.

What you can do is give the guest half a day to respond, and if you haven’t heard from them by maybe 12 hrs, call Airbnb explaining the situation and ask them to please try to contact the guest, as they are newbies and may not even know they have a message to answer.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will do that tomorrow morning in case they didn’t read the message by then or didn’t respond.

@Hosterer Here is an overview of the differences between an Inquiry and a Request on Airbnb:

Inquiry:
Options are Pre-approve or Decline. But you can just answer. There are no penalties for not checking either of the options. (Inquiries used to expire after 24 hrs. But my most recent Inquiry didn’t. I asked Airbnb if this was a new thing, or a glitch. They said I have to Decline in order to have the Inquiry not show as active. They ignored me asking if this was a new thing, as Inquiries used to expire after 24 hrs.)

Inquiries do not block your calendar, even if you pre-approve. The guest has to take another step to actually book. Pre-approving just keeps you from having to go back and accept a subsequent RTB from that guest. (I will pre-approve an Inquiry if I see the guest has a bunch of good reviews and has sent a nice, informative message, but a lot of hosts never bother to pre-approve an inquiry, they just answer the guest’s questions. Inquirers rarely go on to book, but I have had some who did.)

You may never get any response from Inquirers. Don’t concern yourself with that.

Declining Inquiries does not affect your stats.

RTB:
Options are Accept or Decline. You must do one of those within 24 hrs, but are free to exchange messages with the guests during that time if necessary to decide whether to accept. If the guest is asking for things you don’t provide, or want to bring a pet to a no pets listing, etc, suggest to them that they withdraw the request so they can be free to find a listing that meets their needs. If they withdraw the request, your calendar will open up and you won’t have to decline.

Declining a request affects your Acceptance rate (not counted towards Superhost). If you decline a lot of RTBs, Airbnb will send you warning messages.

If you Accept an RTB, Airbnb immediately charges the guest and you will see a booking confirmation. But if the guest doesn’t have their payment info approved yet, you’ll see “Awaiting payment”. This is a drag, as your calendar remains blocked. Either it will be confirmed at some point during the 24 hrs, or it won’t, in which case it expires and your calendar opens up. (Some clueless guests who are just asking questions, but aren’t ready to commit, send RTBs instead of Inquiries)

1 Like

The other thing that went through my head is whether new Airbnb members just send out a flurry of trip requests to multiple accommodations to see which one accepts them first (or the ones with the least effort they have to put in). :thinking:

… and let all other requests just run out of time/don’t bother responding. Is there a punishment for that as well?

2 Likes

Yes, some guests do that, but it’s a very foolish thing for them to do, because if more than one host clicks on “Accept”, the guest will be charged for both bookings.

3 Likes

I contacted Superhost support and got a few answers that I was hoping for:

• Declining an RTB within the 24 hour window does not affect your status/ranking as a host or Superhost.

• Airbnb does not have the means (or the policy) to reach out to the guest directly since I don’t see their phone number and the chat is the only way to communicate with them. (ABB can only help if the reservation has been accepted - duh).

Those two things, I have in writing from the case manager I spoke to.

• Any rumours of frequent usage of the ABB Superhost support could result in any form of punishment or lower ranking are false (according to this representative). This may of course depend on the reason why ABB support is being involved. I presume if you report 3 deceased guests within a few months they probably will ask more questions. But as for general inquiries or resolution of issues like the one I had today it’s perfectly fine to reach out to them.

Hope this helps.

Then why does your acceptance rate need to be above 88%….?

Doing a quick search I found this:

However, the case manager I spoke to didn’t mention it (which doesn’t mean that this rule doesn’t exist) but at least confirmed me in writing that declining requests will not hurt your ranking.

To which extent or under what circumstances this may or may not apply, I don’t know.

In 3 years we had now 2 RTBs since we offer IB. Only the one from yesterday, I declined. In both cases I contacted support because the way the requests developed made me question which rights I have to protect my interests without sacrificing my ranking. Therefore I reached out to support to explain why I’m hesitant with/declining a request and the reps were understanding and explained the options I have in order to stay in line with Airbnb’s rules which was reassuring.

I admit that I didn’t have some critical issues like someone planning on violating my house rules etc. so it was rather innocent so to say.

I could see if one ONLY takes reservations on request and therefore has a higher chance of dealing with newbies or loonies, there might be a higher request denial rate which obviously isn’t something Airbnb would be very fond of.

With some of the ‘internet stories’ our there, I was already getting nervous to reach out to support a second time this year thinking they might ban me from their website because I’m using up too many resources. But the rep was assuring that we can contact them as often as we need if we have any questions and concerns without fearing any repercussions from ABB.

The CS rep gave you a bunch of false information, as they often do.

Many hosts have gotten warning messages of suspension from Airbnb for “too many” RTB declines. However, how many is “too many”, is not defined anywhere.

Declines don’t affect Superhost because Acceptance rate isn’t a criteria for Superhost.

Of course Airbnb can try to contact a guest at any time. Just because a guest’s phone number isn’t visible to hosts before a booking is confirmed doesn’t mean Airbnb doesn’t have their phone number and email address. Whether they will agree to try to contact a guest or not is a different story.

I’m pretty sure the CS rep is wrong about declines affecting your search ranking.

And I’m curious- where did you ever get the idea that you’d be somehow penalized for contacting Superhost support “too much”?

As far as having to decline more if one only uses RTB, I can tell you that I have never used IB, been hosting since 2016, and have never declined a booking.
I tend to get experienced guests with good reviews, am not scared of newbies, and have never gotten requests from loonies.

If a guest is asking for something I don’t provide, or wants to book for 2 when I only host 1, they have withdrawn their request before my time ran out to accept or decline.

The two times guests didn’t respond to my message asking them something I’d need to know in order to accept, or didn’t withdraw an inappropriate request, I called Airbnb, told them I shouldn’t have to take a hit on acceptance rate just because a guest was non-responsive, and once they told me to just let it expire and they’d make sure my response and acceptance rate wasn’t affected (it wasn’t), the other time Airbnb cancelled the request.

1 Like

It doesn’t anymore and not for a while now. They haven’t been tracking acceptance rate for 2 years, nearly 3 years. You won’t find it anywhere. Even if you search the help articles for “acceptance rate” it may come up but when you go to the results it will only address response time and response rate with no mention of acceptance rate.

It was something they just totally dropped without announcing (kind of for obvious reasons I suppose). The only direct info I could find alluded to acceptance rate conflicting with their party ban and Aircover, e.g. hosts reported more issues with stays that were RTB that they felt they had to accept but wanted to decline (sounds far too sensical for Airbnb I know lol).

Anyway, I noticed it and have tested it out thoroughly. For the last couple of years, I ruthlessly declined any and all requests that I didn’t want (because I get a lot of completely inappropriate ones in our busy summer season) and nothing happened whatsoever. There were no warnings or repercussions at any point - neither while I was hitting “decline” nor after I had hit “decline” for 5 or 6 requests in a row.

But @Hosterer, you should be aware that some of the information you receive/find on the internet will be based on “acceptance rate” previously being a statistic that was tracked for something to browbeat hosts over. It used to be under “Insights” where you now only see “Superhost Requirements”. There used to be an additional section called “General Requirements” (but weren’t superhost requirements) and it was under there.

The expectation was 88% and if it fell below 88%, which mine did sometimes, the percentage would turn into red numbers instead of black numbers. One time, after hitting decline 5 times in a row, I got a message encouraging me to accept more bookings and to check that my calendar and listings were accurate, but that was all. So, FWIW, even when it was still a requirement it never really resulted in anything serious but they sure as hell scared the crap out of us over it. Unfortunately, a lot of hosts are still scared of it even though it isn’t tracked anymore but that is the way of Airbnb (to rule by fear lol).

It was something that sort of tormented hosts so we used to go to great lengths to avoid declining a request-to-book. It was a major component of hosting. All kinds of advice and tips/tricks were shared (and needed!) as to how to get a guest to withdraw their reservation request, how to get customer service to withdraw the request for you, how to deter the guest by sending a special offer with an exorbitant price, etc. Hosts used to report getting warnings about their acceptance rate getting too low (below 88%). I got a warning once but it didn’t threaten anything in particular. It was more of finger wag. Now they don’t track it all so there’s no reason to worry about it.

So if the guest is taking too long to respond and you don’t want to deal with it you can just hit “Decline”. It will ask you to tell the guest why and you can just say, “no response”. If they get the message later and still want to request they can put in another one. However, as mentioned above, you do want to hit either “Accept” or “Decline”. You do not want to just ignore it because if you don’t hit accept or decline and it expires then it will account against your “Response Rate” which is actively tracked, is actually a big deal and does count toward Superhost.

TL;DR: You must Respond within 24 hours but it doesn’t matter whether you respond with Accept or Decline. The only thing that counts is that you respond (Response Rate) and how long it takes you to respond (Response Time). How long it takes you to respond goes toward your Response Time which shows on your listing but it is counted from when you first send a written response to them in messages, not how long it takes you to hit Accept or Decline (as long as you do it before the request expires in 24 hours).

1 Like

I’ve heard that too but if you look it’s been a very very long time since anyone reported it. I myself received a message once about too many declines in a row (in 2019?) but it wasn’t particularly threatening and only suggested that I make sure my calendar and listing was up to date. This was many years ago and it was only after 5 declines in a row over a couple of days. There was no other repercussion. My search ranking didn’t change or anything.

It was always defined. It was under General Requirements and the expectation was noted as 88%. When you went below 88% the number changed into red numbers instead of black numbers. That was it for the most part. One of my listings had a 67% Acceptance Rate for a couple of years and it just stayed red and nothing else.

Maybe at one point though that wasn’t my experience even when I had what I considered excessive declines. However, at this point they haven’t been tracking acceptance rate for 2-3 years so there’s no reason to think it affects anything anymore. This is one of the rare occasions when I’d suggest that CS has more current and accurate information on a topic than we do.

Like any other message, it will only show as “read” if the user has “read receipts” turned on*. It’s a setting under Account → Privacy and Sharing → Sharing. I have read receipts turned off so no one will know if/when I read their message or not. I went and turned it off as soon as they started this nonsense. Even though I tend to be a quick responder, I don’t want anyone, whether guest or host, tapping their feet and saying to themselves, “but she read my message 10 minutes ago why isn’t she responding”. I’m too old for that crap :joy:

I don’t know what to say anymore. If the company I’m doing business with is not providing correct information to me (not only verbally but also in writing) then I don’t know who can. I’ve tried to do my due diligence, be proactive, strive for excellent reviews and do what I can to keep my account in good standing. If that’s not enough, then I don’t know what to do anymore.

If it’s true what you wrote before about the rep providing me with incorrect information how do you know that in the two instances when you reached out to ABB support it didn’t affect your rate - unless it was during the time when that statistic was still shown? I had this exact same issue of a non-responsive guest, and wanted to make sure that I would not get dinged for such non-chalant/ignoring behavior of a (newbie) guest. There should be some benefit of the doubt given to a 3 year Superhost over a brand new guest who never made a reservation and I’m trying to do everything to reach out to them to no avail - so that my ranking etc. remains untouched because of this.

I didn’t imply that anyone who doesn’t allow IB will inevitably experience more issues with guests. I would simply assume that the chances are higher, by not using IB with the requirement to only accept guests with a good track record, to also ‘expose’ themselves to newbies or guests who don’t have a good track record. This doesn’t mean that it automatically applies. Plus, I may very well be wrong about that.

I find the feature helpful. I don’t care what they think.

1 Like

Ok, but I’m only answering your question. You will only see “read” on a RTB or otherwise if the user has read receipts turned on. Plenty of users do not. I can tell because we message back and forth and at no point does it say “read” on their messages (or mine haha). It is optional.

I guess this is partially the reason how I read about this rumour of hosts getting punished for contacting support ‘too much’, eating up their resources. Heck, after reading several ABB support horror stories, I got even nervous thinking about contacting support.

That’s exactly what the rep told me on the phone and confirmed in writing.

I did send my first response 5 minutes after the request came in. The rep said that the time that I take to hit Decline or Approve is not weighing into my ranking but it makes sense that it does count regarding my response time - which I luckily responded right away.

I know you didn’t. I was just saying that I’ve not experienced issues even though I’ve been RTB only.

As far as trusting everything a CS rep tells you, it is well known that they often give out incorrect or incomplete info. What you need to understand is that you aren’t talking to Airbnb, you are talking to a poorly paid gig worker who is employed by a third party provider of customer service reps. Half the time hosts know more about Airbnb policies than the reps do.

Here is a long but enlightening article about how the customer service is run:

1 Like

Yes, I know that was the goal. I just wasn’t sure if those warning msgs went out when the rate dropped below that, or if Airbnb algorithms sent out warnings if you declined say, 3 RTBs in a row, regardless of rate.

I also knew that even though they sent those warning msgs, hosts whose rate dropped below the 88% didn’t get any penalties, they just got those messages.
Which may not scare an experienced host, but do stress out a lot of hosts.

Good to know that they don’t fuss about declines and Acceptance rate anymore at all, though. I was wondering why those “basic stats” seemed to disappear at some point and I couldn’t find them anywhere.

Thanks for the article. I understand that companies ‘who can afford’ (or not) to outsource customer service do so. With mixed results. I suppose no company has an interest in running their business straight into the ground. So there ‘should’ be some value provided by these slave-like CS reps.

What matters most to me is that I show my part in trying to be a responsible host, which includes staying in contact with my business partner and trying to show that I’m making an effort - even if THEIR cs reps misinform me (or us).

If it so happens that I will be punished for whatever I may have done ‘wrong’, at least I would be able to show something in writing with a company logo on it, to illustrate their own f***-ups and not just trying to blame me.

I have no intentions in blindly declining every RTB that comes my way. I try to be reasonable and offer the guests to work things out between them and me. But if necessary I will protect my interests and do what is in most cases common sense and talk to my business partner - even though the well-known fact remains that misinformation is spread even from their own ‘company representatives’. I doubt that I would have more leverage claiming that ‘it is well known that XYZ’ instead of ‘Your CS rep provided this information in writing’.

These are ‘what if’ scenarios, and I don’t want to spend too much time thinking about those, although I would like to have my ‘weapons’ in check in case something goes south. This forum helps a lot to weed out misconceptions etc. so it is a great help.