Tricky guest trying to trick a late check out out of me!

These ‘best reviews’ types of sites are not what they appear to be - The truth is most of them get sponsorship from different companies to promote the product… Thus they place those sponsored products up the order while placing a better product down the order! ConBlom apparently is a low grade importer of this product, as well as garden edging, wax applicators, christmas wreaths, and saw blades.

Perhaps you should look at locks that hosts use on this forum, and are discussed and reviewed by hosts.

Find the spyglass at the top of the page and ask for ‘best smart locks’; it is on the top of the page (above); this is how it looks for me:

1 Like

Yes you do. And you want them on the doors of every room you rent that is a separate rental unit.

I have a smart lock on my front door and keyed deadbolts on the rest of the doors. It works very well and I don’t worry about someone nicking a key.

As others have mentioned, you should stop thinking everyone is out to trick you and just accept what guests say at face value. You’ll be a better host for it and sleep better at night.

Ms. X is pushing boundaries. That’s all you need to know. Push back and make sure you message her NOW “Per our last conversation, checkout is 12pm, late checkout is NOT permitted nor will we store luggage or other items after your stay is completed. Checkout instructions will be provided the night before.” Then say “Here is the number for the local taxi company. They have extensive experience with larger bags. Schedule your ride today.”

BTW, your 3 hour window between guests is very tight. I have 4pm checkin and I have a 10am checkout with the ability to stay until 11am with prior notice (only if discussed once they’re here) and approved by the host. Move checkout to 11am. You’ll be less stressed during turnovers, especially if you’re wrangling with someone who wants to overstay their welcome.

Another tactic and put it in your HR now “late checkout past 12pm is considered an additional night’s stay.”

That will frost her cookies! :wink:

3 Likes

Yes that is true sorry I should have said.they’re paid when you buy having clicked through their links aren’t they. I just came across that one and liked the fingerprint feature. Wasn’t keen on brand obviously! Did check out but It seemed like many needed a subscription and I thought that might be to a US company… but I need to look in to it further. Ive joined a Uk forum to search there now too

yes, their MO is that the rules don’t apply to them. everyone else can comply, but not her. My husband has some traits like this (although he’s also dutch south african, if you know what they are like you’ll understand), he will often park in places that I think he shouldn’t. He learns where the guest parking is for various buildings and uses it, and genuinely doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem, and I am mortified.

these people need to have a revolving door of new & disposable friends, who don’t catch on to what they are like.

Back to your issue, just tell this woman you have to do turnover, she clearly hasn’t factored this into the whole process, and tell her you need an extra hour for some other task. So the next guests are arriving at 3pm, that’s what you say, and she has to be gone by 12pm. I think you are right, she’ll still be there, even at 3pm, to see if your guests show up. She needs to lug her “giant” suitcase out of your place and go wait for her friend in a cafe somewhere.

1 Like

Ah, that’s my Kiwi ex who lived in South Africa for 14 years and most of the South African men I meet. Even after cars being towed because he parked under the sign that said “you’ll be towed,” he doesn’t think that applies to him.

I feel your pain. I didn’t become mortified - I was always simmering with anger at the entitled behaviour that then came back to me as “why didn’t you do something?” while I’m arguing with the tow yard to get MY car back.

Ugh. Things I don’t miss…

Oh don’t give her a time. “Checkout is noon. Here’s the number for the taxi company, please schedule it now.”

Boundaries. Hosting is not a doormat business. Don’t be one. Run your business, be polite, and #boundaries

3 Likes

There’s people everywhere who think the rules don’t apply to them. It may be more prevalent in some cultures than others, but it is universal I would imagine, depending on personality type and attitude.

Like the obviously able-bodied people who park in the handicapped, seniors, and pregnant women spots, leap out of their car or off their motorbike.

Although in these times, where complete strangers make assumptions about you and have no qualms about berating you publicly, it’s wise not to jump to conclusions. Maybe the spry 30 year old who parked in the handicapped zone will emerge from the store with grandma with a cane in tow.

The other day as I was walking out of Costco to my car, the paper receipt blew out of my hand. A woman who was pulling out of a parking spot stopped to harshly tell me I shouldn’t litter and that I should pick it up. It had already blown across the parking lot and out of sight. And it’s a tiny piece of organic material.

Meanwhile, I’m someone who picks up assorted non-organic litter that people toss on my road.

1 Like

So true! Never judge someone using a disabled space just because they can walk! There have been some comedy sketches on this, which’s I think have helped raise awareness that not all disabilities are necessarily visible

2 Likes

@Bosty64, @muddy
These comments remind me of how quick-to-assume some people can be.

In May 2021 my wife and I bought a Jeep Wrangler 4xe. The 4xe is Jeep’s first plug-in Hybrid-electric vehicle (4-cylinder turbo mated to an electric drive system). We have a home charger and when in public parking garages, etc, we can plug in and charge the batteries.

I was reading on a 4xe owners forum about another owner who parked at the mall in an electric vehicle charging station and was sharing the mean note some other driver left on the windshield of his Jeep, chastising the owner for taking up a space reserved for vehicle charging. The funny thing is that the note-leaver would have had to practically trip over the charging cable sticking out of the car right in front of the driver’s side mirror in order to place the note on the driver’s side of the windshield!

We do get weird/surprised looks when we creep silently through public parking areas or pull into said spots and plug a Jeep in!

1 Like

There’s a quite funny female American comedian, can’t recall her name, who had a story about a woman who stopped to tell her, as the comedian was walking out of the gym eating a banana, that “Bananas are high in sugar, you know- you really shouldn’t eat too many”.
The comedian said, “Since when did it become acceptable to approach total strangers with unsolicited advice? I’m a tiny person leaving a gym, eating something from the earth. I’m not your target market.”

Well yes what business of hers?!

I’d tell her the guest is coming at regular checkin time (3:00 pm) and that you need 3 hours to prepare everything, so you’d be happy to store her things, but she needs to be out of the room at noon.

@Bosty64
What was the eventual outcome with this story?! I’m dyin over here.

Stay firm. You are running a business, it’s ok to tell a guest no.

are you a host @Artbnb