Tricky guest trying to trick a late check out out of me!

Yes, a lot of the people who call themselves “spiritual” are like this, I’ve found. Then if you call them out on their chit, you get responses like, “Whoa, chill out.” I tell those people who leave a mess behind them, and behave like we are talking about, “Actually, you can’t be truly spiritual if you can’t keep your chit together on the material plane. You’re just play-acting.”

There was girl like that I rented the little cabin I look after next door to me. She left a bunch of stuff behind, and a truckload of garbage, and while I told her she could store a bit of stuff there, and showed her where she could put it in a corner of the shed, she ended up leaving it in the house, so I had to move it all to refinish the floor, as I had told her was the plan. When I emailed her to say I was going to move her stuff, she emailed back that I couldn’t touch it, because it was “sacred”. You can imagine how well I respected that.

It’s easy to be “spiritual”, when you never have to spend any time actually doing anything practical, because you get others to do it for you. You have all the time in the world to dialogue with the universe. I’m so over these people and their hugs and kisses and “kindness”. They are users and energy vampires, and they have zero self-awareness. They see themselves quite differently than the rest of the world experiences them.

3 Likes

Colin Robinson, Energy Vampire:
Colin Robinson Energy Vampire

it’s about 36 hours later… We need the epilogue!!!

Oh okay I didn’t think anyone was interested. More than happy to oblige! Quick note - she is leaving later than I thought, on the 12th… Sorry this is going to be lengthy!

So to take you back for a minute,when she asked what time the next guest was moving in she put it like this, ‘hey I was just wondering what time your next guest is moving in because I have a friend who is going to help me move my bags to my hotel but he can only do it after he finishes work at 6pm, or before he starts. Obviously I don’t want to get up at 6am if I can help it… Uber won’t take my case…because well you have seen the size of it’. At this point I was distracted by the lie - standard size case, hello Uber X, and what about my local cab firm that I had already suggested? So my response was to question that, while she piled more lies on top of each other ‘I think they were just being difficult’, as if she had tried to book Uber on the phone! Then when I pointed out it is all automatic on the app and she could order an Uber X, she just dismissed ‘but you know then they get here and the bag is too big and they just drive off!’ Then she does this thing where she gives a big fake laugh to make the convo difficult to follow through. She does that alot. It like rounds up the convo ‘hahahaha and that is the end of it’. Anyway, by now I obviously realised how much crap she was giving me and I never did reply to her question re what time my next guest was arriving, which I didn’t know at this point anyway.

It’s not even like she is asking to stay an extra hour or so, she is assuming (or pretending to) that if new guest is coming later that she can stay until 6pm and I think possibly even later (from how she put it - ambiguous - pal most likely finishing work at 6pm…still got to get over here from knows where). Anyway, like I say, I didn’t respond as didn’t think it deserved a response and thought I need to think this through and consult Muddy and the team!

In the meantime, someone had taken my front door key from the hook which is near to the front door. I am the only person who currently has the lock needed to double lock the front door. To counter this, we are leaving the front door un double locked at all times, except that I double lock it for security at around midnight before I go to bed. This way there can be no problems. I have pointed out where my key is to the Tricky one, and other guests, just in case they are leaving early and the door is, still locked from the night before. In this case they can use it to open the door, and then put it back on its hook.

Anyway my key went missing. It caused tonnes of problems including making daughter and I both late out the next day due to searching for it. And of course I thought daughter had not put the key back in place the evening before, telling her ‘guests would never do that’ and insisting she search her room. I had four guests and wasn’t going to ask them when my daughter seemed the most likely culprit, even though in back of my mind I was wondering if it could be Miss Narcissist. After two days of searching, I texted to ask her if she had taken them and her answer was ‘I have. Switched for red,’ meaning she left her keys on the red key ring and took mine on the blue! I was totally baffled , and as we switched back she said ‘I just wanted to make sure that I could get back in if the front door is locked’, huge fake laugh. I replied ‘but it wouldn’t be double locked, it never is.’ Certainly COULDN’T be double locked now since you have nicked my only front door key, you crazy’, I was thinking.

Anyway we swapped back and my initial thought was ‘not leaving my double locker key in public place again’, I realised that wasn’t an option since someone might need it. So I texted Miss X and said ‘Hi Jane, if you’re going out early the front door key is back on the hook so please help yourself to let yourself out but very important please put it back immediately! The front door is only double locked after midnight so you’ll always be able to get back in (just let me know if you’re going out later), don’t worry. If the key isn’t there, I can’t lock the house at night! Thanks. To which any non narcissist would surely respond ‘oh gosh sorry I didn’t think’. Instead I got ‘got it.’’

If anyone is wondering about the key situation, this double lock broke on the day after this woman moved in. She is aware of that. I had a new lock put in immediately, but haven’t been able to get more keys cut for it (shop has something on order). But I don’t think it is unreasonable for people not to have that key given the routine I have adopted which worked fine until she nicked my key.

Now, worse still, on that keyring were two bedroom keys for one of my Airbnb rooms. Woman has removed them. I messaged her saying ’ have you got those smaller keys’, which she obviously took off they keyring. Her reply ‘Nope. I left everything as I found it’, which is a strange thing to say as I then had to take deep breaths to prevent myself from saying ’ well you didn’t did you as you took my keys’. But anyway she is lying, I know she has the keys. She would have known I was baffled and annoyed that she took my keys, and I guess she just didn’t want to look wrong again by admitting she had become that attached to my keys that she thought it was okay to remove some of the keys on my key ring, and not only that but she had forgotten to replace them when returning.

So now I am going to have to pay to get this bedroom door lock replaced.

So check out is in two days. I am not going back to her to let her know what time next guest is arriving as it is none of her business . I would like to just ignore, she can ask if she wants to know check out time. BUT danger is that then on FRIDAY she will miss her ‘before work’ lift, and then tell me at check out time that she now has to wait til pal finishes work, and that she told me that! So I am thinking of just saying to her ‘oh you were asking about check out time weren’t you? I have double checked and its at 12pm’

2 Likes

Yes that is exactly it. I am actually related to a narcissist unfortunately. She used to sometimes share some of her tricks. One of them was pretending she had health issues at the airport so she would get rushed through on a mixture of the VIP carts and in wheelchairs. When I said to her ‘you can’t do that!’, her reply was ‘why not?’ She always like to keep a young male pal too, so that she would have someone to help with lifting and removal work. She saunters through life using using using. Zero shame!

1. Stop using keys and install a smart lock.

2. Stop ascribing subversive meanings to things your guests say. You will do better to simply take their requests etc at face value. You are not being required to analyze every comment made.

3. Stop assuming a guest’s problems; they are not yours.

4 Likes
  1. I don’t think I want a smart lock

2. I can’t take her comments as requests because they aren’t requests! Eg ‘what time is your next guest checking in’, or ‘if you don’t have availability while I’m in Scotland I’ll just pay you to store my luggage’, also not a request.

3. as long as she’s in my house tampering with my keys and threatening to overstay, kinda feels like she is my problem

Hmm on second thoughts am reconsidering the smart lock., researching now

Is that legal where you live, in London? To have an exit door that requires a key to open it from inside? Surely you have fire codes there.

In the United States, they sell them. So, I assume they are “legal”. However, I would expect the laws are different for a private home vs a home where you are renting to others.
I used to have them in my private home because I had doors with windows. The double keyed deadbolt eliminated the issue of a thief just breaking a window and reaching in and unlocking the deadbolt. However, when we were home, I left the key IN the deadbolt to make it easy to unlock in the event of a fire. I only removed the key and double locked it when everyone was out of the house.

Disappointed which magazine hasn’t done a Best Buy feature on smart locks… has anyone already done the research and can tell me what they went with and results?

I’ve got an old Victorian door so I’d prefer one that doesn’t go on the door, and definitely without the big handle that some of them have. It would be good to have plenty of back up option features we don’t want anyone having to rely on wifi…

I went with the Yale Assure locks. The guests just have to enter in a code. They do have a Wi-Fi module. But, that just allows you to program the codes remotely. you can also program codes directly on the lock. So, Wi-Fi is NOT required. But, it is available. No guests have had an issue with mine yet. And, I like them so much, I have changed out all of the locks on my home to them. So much more convenient that worrying about carrying extra keys around.

1 Like

We do of course have fire codes here yes.
Am checking but I don’t know anyone who has anything other than a key to double lock their front door at night here. How do you double lock without… do you mean with a smart lock? I’m sure plenty of people do have them here, but I think just as often, probably more, don’t.

Good point though - what is best? A smart lock or another way?

Our deadbolt throws are removable. When we are home, the throws are in place in case of fire. When on vacation, the throws are out and both locks need keys. Brand is Medeco.

1 Like

Thank you that looks perfect … will order

I doesn’t matter if they are comments or requests. You are analyzing them and letting them get to you instead of just responding to them in the moment and moving on. “What time is your next guest checking in?” seems a normal guest question if a guest has a reason to want to overstay check-out. All you have to do is say, “I really don’t know exactly, they haven’t said yet, but even when guests give me an ETA, they often arrive earlier or later than they said, so check-out time is firm, as the room has to be ready at my earliest check-in time.”

2 Likes

Thanks Rolf. You’re right I just need to get better at this!

1 Like

search is your friend here. Search ‘smart locks’. There are many threads, some discussing specifics of older doors. Mine are 100 years old - the doors age does not matter except for looks.

I would suggest some research. While the lock described is excellent, many locks integrate with airbnb and will program times for use automatically - a great system.

Also, deadbolts have some disadvantages over passageway locks - the first time a guest slams the door on the deadbolt and dents the molding on your Victorian doorframe you will regret not looking at passageway…

The Yale assure have that option as well. I choose not to use it as setting them manually gives me more control over the code and is easier to adjust for early/late check-in/check-out (which I do allow when I can accommodate). But, they do have the ability to integrate with Airbnb.

And, yes, any deadbolt, automatic or keyed, will make dents in the molding when someone slams the door shut while the bolt is out.

I have also used these locks for passageway locks (locked closets and 1 entry door on my house where I didnt want to replace the deadbolt due to the door design) - these are manual, not automated. But, they work great as well.

1 Like

I’ve been searching but quite confusing. Searching online rather than on here so info more up to date. My door is also over 100 years old and I’ve heard there are locks that can be installed next to the door rather than on it but haven’t found them yet.

Otherwise I’m thinking of this one