Travel nurse discount

Just asked someone :blush:

In the UK theyā€™re know as Agency or Bank Nurses.

Agency nurses work for a private company, whereas Bank nurses work for the health authority who keep a ā€œbankā€ of nurses prepared to work out with their contracted post, generally as overtime.

Also, itā€™s rare for them to work outside their normal location.

Pay rates not even close to figures bandied about here.

JF

2 Likes

Other than during this crisis floor nurse pay is nothing like being talked about here.

This pay is temporary supply/demand driven. Itā€™s a high risk for infection, high stress, long hours, job right now

My ICU nurse friend in IN said she makes almost 90k a year working about 100 12 hr days a year (44 weekends + occasional shifts covering for someone) a year. Itā€™s higher pay for night, weekend and her 30 yrs experience. By her description itā€™s great pay and she likes her job. Last year when the pandemic started, little was known about the disease and PPE was in short supply she really was thinking of quitting once the worst had passed. But by summer a switch flipped and she said she was fine. Some nights were worse than others and it got bad again but she was able to adjust.

1 Like

Yes specialty areas that require higher levels of training pay more (e.g. ICU, Dialysis, ED). The weekends, nights, & holiday schedules pay more. I knew a Husband wife team who only worked Behvaioral Health weekend & nights & were paid well.

Funny you should mention that. Some know-it-all entitled millennial just posted yesterday on the CC with a link to his website/blog, whatever you call it. Itā€™s all about how to get discounts on Airbnb- it reads like Entitlement 101.

Some gems: Pick out less than 50 listings in the area. Then ā€œBulk sendā€ discount inquiries to all those hosts.

In other words, he advises guests to make 48 hosts take the time to reply to an inquiry so the guest can choose the one who consents to be chiselled down the most.

2nd gem: Ask hosts if they would really rather have the place sit empty rather than rent it to you at a discount. I.e. tell hosts how they should run their business.

It got worse.
And hosts wonder why there are so many entitled guests these days. These jerks have social media sites where they post this stuff so they can get ā€œhitsā€ while giving instructions on how to make sure everyone else knows you are the center of the universe.

3 Likes

Grrrrrr! That steams me.

XOXOXOXO

3 Likes

I know. I really got infuriated reading it. It should have been entitled ā€œHow to make sure you piss off hostsā€.

Iā€™ve avoided looking for the sites where they tell guests how to scam refunds. I know theyā€™re out there.

2 Likes

Pricing based on the guestā€™s income? Hmmm??

Set prices based on what will keep rooms full most of the time. Itā€™s a careful balance between just right and too high.

Living close to several hospitals in the East Bay, I have always preferred long term guests and have hosted nurses, interns, med students, surgical residents, medical technicians of one sort or other, business interns and, once, a private jet pilot! (Iā€™m also a reasonable distance from the airport). None of them ever asked for a further discount.

People are attracted to my moderate prices, so very rarely ask for a discount beyond the, weekly or monthly rate (already a discount!). If they do, I say no and suggest other listings in their price range.

If your prices are reasonably and you are getting bookings, they why would you discount based on someoneā€™s occupation or income level. Itā€™s simple to compare your place to others in the area and decide what price is best. How far out of your comfort zone you are willing to venture? If this guest doesnā€™t see the value of what you are offering, are they going to see it better if you give them a bigger discount??

1 Like

This sort of request does tug on the heart strings but whenever guests have asked for a longer stay, and I have agreed, I have always regretted it. Long termers do not always treat the house as short term guests do. I have someone in my cottage now, on a longer term basis, (allowed under the circumstances we have currently due to Covid - she falls into a certain category) and every time I have done her laundry, once a week, I have found all the sheets and towels stained beyond recovery. Her dog has made himself at home and dug a huge hole in the lawn and there is dog poo all over the grass. I know, when she leaves, there is going to be huge expense and possibly chewed furniture and scratched flooring. This isnā€™t the first time I have found this, and I need to remind myself why I stopped doing longer lets for Airbnb.

This isnā€™t the answer to the question you asked, but for me, going forward, longer term lets at discounts isnā€™t something I will be doing. (probably!)

That sounds pretty disgusting, have you told her to pick it up?

If we allowed animals, and if we had a garden, you can be sure that itā€™d be a house rule/condition of tenancy that any dog shit must be picked up and disposed of daily.

The more anecdotal tales I read regarding dogs and STR makes me glad that we are unlikely to see this type of dog owner, and their dogs. Itā€™s sometimes hard enough cleaning up behind humans, never mind humans who allow their dogs to damage property and shit & piss everywhere.

Thinking about it, if the garden is the dogs toilet, how often does it get walked, rarely I suspect.

JF

We always have some here, as well as medical tech folks, because we are an isolated town of 33,000 with a hospital serving a region of 80,000. I had an xray tech here for 3 months in early 2019, on a 3 month lease. He was on his second 90 day stint; his wife had returned to Florida after he had rented an extended stay hotel suite for his first 3 months, and he wanted lower rent.

He was the night shift xray guy so I hardly saw him.

Well, it turns out that they were going to leave the 2 large dogs (one of them only a year old) in the apartment for 15 hours/day while they are at work :roll_eyes: Bye Felicias. Go scam a discount with your $7700/month housing stipend elsewhere.

4 Likes

I never offer additional discounts regardless of who the guest is. My room is very competitively priced, and I find that the guests who ask for discounts often cause additional problems or make other demands.

I used to read a few Facebook groups for traveling nurses looking for housing. There were many posts about how to get a discount, asking hosts to book outside of AirBnB, and many of the members staying in homeshares expected to have full rights to the property including bringing extra guests and pets. Your inquiry may have been someone who got advice from groups like that.

5 Likes

No discounts should be offered . This is from prior experience. I am a nurse myself. There is complex logical psychology behind this ā€¦

The issue is at hand is the perception the guest has about your property - guests who see a price will have three innate responses :

• I like it, I will book it
  • I like it, out of my price - I will find something else
  • I like it, but i want it for what I want to pay

The issue is the guest who has the third subconscious response feels empowered or entitled that his presumption is more important than your price point. Itā€™s not the issue of whether his presumption is right or wrong ( the guest may be after all right and you may be overpriced) , the issue is the moment you cave in to the request, you have relegated some of your power as a host to the guest , and that opens them to further empowerment because you let the nose of the camel into the tentā€¦and next thing you know, the whole camel is in the tent. This is why I believe no discounts in the first place ā€¦ at the end of the day, I am the owner and the guest is the guest . The owner needs to have control of the situation as it is the owners property after all.

14 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Great first post.

1 Like

@muddy thank you. Iā€™ve actually been on here for a few years we will have had our Airbnb for years in June. But I always research a topic and usually find my answer. This time I didnā€™t find anything definitive.

BTW How do I reply to a persons message so that it shows their message above mine?

1 Like

I was actually responding to the post above mine, from the new poster :slight_smile:

You canā€™t get your post to appear right below a post further up the thread, but you can highlight the post or a portion of it, click on the ā€œQuoteā€ option that appears, and it will be included in the message box and you just type your reply below it.

1 Like