Top Sheet - A new thing I've learned from my first 3 star review

Ok, may be I am ignorant, but I really did not know there is a thing called top sheet. The guests from Quebec Canada complained there is no sheet but only comforter on the bed with a 3 star review, my first one after 8 months of hosting. After some online researching, I found out there should be a sheet under the duvet/comforter, which I never seen in our family or culture, and the first time been brought up by guests in a hard way. I do have duvet cover to completely enclose the duvet, and I take them off to wash for every new booking, which is quite a bit work actually. I am now considering to use the top sheets, looks like it can eliminates the needs of washing duvet cover for every booking, and will make the guests feel more comfortable.
BTW, I am not a native English speaker, those terminologies in bedding actually sometimes really confuse me, I donā€™t know what exactly they are referring to.

3 Likes

Standard US sheet sets will have a fitted sheet (goes around the mattress), a top sheet (goes one fitted but below comforter) and two pillow cases.

We wash comforters each rental, no telling how the person slept in/on bed or otherwise.

4 Likes

There is actually quite a debate on both the need for a top sheet and the need to wash the duvet cover/comforter between each guest. Search on those terms to see lots of comments!

Iā€™m from the US and consider a top sheet an essential. However, it may be a generational thing as I am in an older demographic but my grownup kids hate them and never use them. Personally I canā€™t sleep without one no matter what the weather. I make the bed with them but wouldnā€™t feel insulted if the guest takes it off. (In about 140 guest visits in 18 months no one has mentioned or removed it.)

4 Likes

Not your fault at all! I would be just as ignorant, but for this forum, of the way beds are made across the pond. But yes, in the US, and apparently in Canada, we make a bed using a top sheet. I have a duvet, and a duvet cover, which I donā€™t use cause itā€™s such a God awful pain in the ass to wrestle the duvet into the cover, but if I did use it, Iā€™d still put a flat top sheet between it and the bottom sheet and sleep between the two sheets. Just the way itā€™s ā€œdoneā€, since thatā€™s what I grew up with.

I actually tried sleeping without a top sheet after reading here how the Europeans do it. I didnā€™t like it. My feet felt like they were flapping in the breeze, LOL! But clearly, itā€™s just ā€˜cause Iā€™m used to a top sheet.

All this being said, it was not nice of your guests to leave you 3 stars over this issue. They could have asked you about it for Heavenā€™s sake!

I have taken to using light weight cotton quilts as the top layer on my Airbnb beds. They are fairly easy to wash and dry. But yes, you end up with MOUNTAINS of laundry if you have lots of one night stays. I have 6 quilts for 2 beds in case I am working 12 to 14 hour days and just canā€™t get to all the laundry. I only have 2 rooms, but I could supply a small hotel with linens I think.

6 Likes

In the US a Top sheet is more likely to be called a ā€œflat sheetā€ I think it would be a good idea just for layering. If it is hot, you may not even need the duvet. Often a duvet or comforter will have a patterned, weave or rougher surface, that you may not want directly against your skin.

Maybe regional differences, but in the US/Canada and sheet set you buy will include a top sheet / flat sheet.

1 Like

Iā€™m Australian and I didnā€™t realise there were countries that didnā€™t use a top sheet until I started using this forum. I guess that makes me ignorant too. It makes sense when I think about it. We can be a very hot country, so there are times when people only use the sheet. I suppose in some of the colder countries, you always use a duvet. Although, I thought Canada was pretty cold.

1 Like

It depends upon the country as to what is considered proper.
Most is usa use a top ( flat ) sheet . I personally do not.
But I do provide it on beds for guests, as it may be expected.
Seems sillyā€¦yes the duvet cover is washed during each changeover.
this topic has been hashed over many times. Do a search.

1 Like

Iā€™m a Canadian and Iā€™ve slept with a top sheet and comforter and without a top sheet and an encased duvet. I donā€™t really have a preference and either way works for me as far as sleeping comfortably. Aesthetically, I prefer the top sheet with comforter/blanket as I find the duvet can look a less tailored.

2 Likes

Using a top sheet is pointless because people wriggle and they end up touching the duvet cover anyway - you would end up washing an extra sheet and a duvet cover.
In no way is it unhygienic to use a freshly laundered duvet cover for each new guest. That 3 star review was out of order.
If someone wanted a top sheet for swaddling reasons or in hot weather I would be happy to provide one. I always use thin duvets for the Summer anyway.

1 Like

OMG, here it is again with the duvet/duvet cover/ comforter/comforter cover/ top sheet.
I really should zipper my mouth, but I need a top sheet, no matter the set up that is above the top sheet. Let 'er rip everyoneā€¦ AGAIN Iā€™m so laughing out loud here. Just canā€™t get enough of this topic. :joy::rofl::heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Iā€™m also Australian and dislike it when places, especially in Europe donā€™t supply a top sheet. When it is warm and you throw the doona/duvet/comforter off you have nothing on you. Lotā€™s of places in Europe if they have a top sheet donā€™t fit it to the bed but leave it folded on the end which means you wake up wrapped in it like your are wearing a Grecian robe!

I instruct my cleaners to tuck the minimum of the top/flat sheet in at the bottom and fold as much as they can over the top of the doona/duvet/comforter cover to keep it clean so that we donā€™t always have to wash between every guest.

4 Likes

I donā€™t believe the guestā€™s body does not touch the duvet cover. I have experimented with a tight top sheet to save on laundry and bed making. However more often than not the top sheet was left loose so it would not protect the duvet cover. I would be most upset if I was not given a clean duvet cover. Yuk, I really donā€™t want to share with a stranger.

1 Like

What makes you think youā€™d know?

2 Likes

I am Canadian, and put a sheet Plus duvet. I now hate changing duvet cover every time, so just lay duvet cover on top of duvet. Or use a comforter on top, but do NOT wash it every time.

1 Like

I have a very keen sense of smell but perhaps not. A used quilt cover to me is a betrayal of my trust as a guest. The main thing I am paying for is a clean bed.

1 Like

absolutely
and carry a blue light with you.

Have you found one which really works? I returned a blue light to Amazon as it didnā€™t detect.

Yes, a top sheet is something my grandmother used to use, to make the beds and protect your skin from those awful itchy woolen blankets.

Fortunately the world has evolved and we do not have to use that stuff anymore. Nowadays we have Duvets with covers, which saves us a ***t load of work, and no risk of a rash from a blanket.

6 Likes

This is one of those topics that brings strong responses and not everyone will be supportive. I used to use your approach but being on this forum caused me to change my approach and now everything gets washed between guests. However I know as a guest that not every host washes every thing. If I detected unwashed layers on my bed as a guest I wouldnā€™t like it. However I donā€™t believe most people can tell.

3 Likes

Here in Florida, USA, a top sheet is all you really need. Comforters/duverts are for show.

1 Like