Tired of 'what can be improved'

we are exactly the same!

2 Likes

I had someone complain that the toilet needed more light. What were they doing in there? Itā€™s in the bathroom with the usual amount of light and 2 windows. Did they think I was going to pay an electrician to come out and install extra lights? I usually find it is newbies who feel the need to add some ā€œbalancedā€ criticism so try and find something trivial. Young Madam also decided to tell me she would have given me 5* for cleanliness but there was a little bit of dirt on the floor near the back door (where the cats come in the cat flap and hello! it is winter). She said she wanted to come back if I fixed the lighting and the heating but I suggested she get a hotel room as had left the heating on at 30C (85F) and then complained there werenā€™t more heaters in the bedrooms. Fortunately it was all in ā€œprivateā€ but it still annoyed me. I wish you could block users from IB so she canā€™t book. I thought of emailing her to tell her not to try booking in the future but chances are she wonā€™t anyway and it seemed a little nasty of me as her public review was pretty good.

2 Likes

Everyone should sleep in their guests space sometimes so they can get the kinks out.

I have gotten some very simple, helpful private suggestions that I appreciated as well.
Usually they say something sweet like
"perfect"
or
ā€™just keep being you"
I just keep getting the nicest guests!

3 Likes

konacoconutz

We agree with you 100%. After all they are private homes that we give a guest a room at half the cost of a motel.

This business of asking people to report on peoples private homes every nit picking thing is fundamentally wrong.

Its an invasion of privacy.Its childish and time consuming, A room a TV bed pool place to make their breakfast shower loo is all they should be given. Clean towels that is it.

This system of encouraging people to make comments about our private homes and lives IS offensive.

And trust me when they send you a bad egg-- they DONT support you- but the hosts!

Sorry typo, I meant they support the guests. They push you and push you to do instant bookings. We were new and unaware really. It was Christmas last year and these low life guests went out all night long drinking and doing drugs.

Our profile clearly said - if your looking for a place to club all night long and lay around in bed or the house all day do not come here as we run a office.

Not only did they do that but made death threats. These threats were made AFTER they were rewarded with their money back + sent on to some poor other hots home. But that wasnt the end of it-- oh noā€“

We got threatening calls for months after.

Airbab refused to speak to us- or help us by giving the address so they could be spoken to by police.

If anybody needs to i improve its them not-the hosts. The case workers are too young and anyway they are TOLD always look after guests first- Hosts come second if that.

I think many of the ā€œwhat can be improvedā€ we get comes from the way that airbnbā€™s page for leaving a review is designed. They expressly ask guests to thank hosts or suggest them what they can improve. At some point I decided to begin to suggest the picky and difficult guests what they can improve as well, always in private feedback. I also kindly give advice to newbies on how airbnb works if they complain about something ridiculous.I hope it is a way of improving the future experience for both guests and hosts. I also call airbnb for advice when I have a problem or even a doubt, that way hostā€™s concerns are represented. Feedback is crucial to a good development of online platforms like this.

3 Likes

agreed. I just checked out a very high maintenance guestā€¦ the first red flag was when she booked and asked for my phone number so she could ask all her questions about my house.
Upon arrival she asked where the extra towels were which she proceeded to go through at a rapid rate and stained them with makeup so I have to replace them all now. If sheā€™d just used the towels I reserve for guests it would have been one thing, but she used my personal towels as well. All ruined. I asked her about it and her response was ā€œhot water and spray and washā€.
Long story shortā€¦ she did not read my listing then criticized everything in the house and in her review she said "I knew there would be cats and I can stay in a house with them but they are NOT my favorite 4 legged animal and I didnā€™t think Iā€™d have to interact with them or that theyā€™d try to get into my bedroom"
Ladyā€¦ they are cats. sheesh. I gave her a thumbs down.

5 Likes

I donā€™t mind the feedback from guests, but just saw this on my stats page! Two 4* ratings for value and suddenly AirBnB think thereā€™s ā€œroom for improvementā€! sigh.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s so infuriating, isnā€™t it? You were only rated ā€˜greatā€™ by your guests, shame on you. Itā€™s such a stupid non-motivating thing to do to hosts. Whenever I see one of those yellow triangles I curse the children working at Airbnb with words that are not allowed on here.

4 Likes

I got that as well recently and my reviews had been 5 star! Crazy

3 Likes

I got my first monthly host report a few days ago, for May. At the top was a congratulations for a 5 star review Iā€™d received (Iā€™d been at 87% 5* reviews until mid-May) followed by belowā€¦
Iā€™m having major building works, my guests are all warned prior to booking/arrival and their comments have been lovely but that listing has dropped to 75% 5* reviews which is understandable - noisy/inconsiderate builders, blaring music, banging, sawing, you name it. It was SO demotivating to get that message when the last month or two have been difficult enough with juggling the guests and works, ugh.

2 Likes

@Magwitch @Shanghai Itā€™s some solace to hear that iā€™m not the only one!

Since nothing has changed my end, iā€™m inclined to wonder whether itā€™s the tens of 5* ratings that are inflating the guestsā€™s expectations, rather than my description or prices :confused: I feel like Iā€™m trapped in a feedback loop, having to continuously improve the service.

1 Like

@suzehamling did you lower your price while the work is going on? I had a couple here when workers arrived at 7am to work in the room next door. It was a last minute thing so I didnā€™t really properly prepare. When the guest got up I apologized and gave them half their money back in cash. They seemed really grateful, said money was tight and they really appreciated it and gave me 5 stars across the board.

Hi Dusty! The work going on is as far from the guest bedroom as possible (one group said they didnā€™t hear a thing!)ā€¦but yes, I lowered the nightly price from NZ$60 to NZ$45-$49 and put extra treats in the room and gave profuse thanks for their understanding (rather than apologising over and over)! On my last set of guests in that room now as my ā€˜actualā€™ AirBnB room is nearing the end of its renovationā€¦Iā€™ve ā€˜unlistedā€™ that listing so the ratings arenā€™t so easy to find ha ha!

2 Likes

Just get over it. No matter how well you explain things and no matter how many amenities you provide, some people will always look for flaws and something they want you to improve.

If you change the bed, another guest will probably complaint about the size, style, color, length, smell, firmness, softness, the placement or whatever.

Some people dont seem to understand they canā€™t have everything exactly the way they want when theyā€™re away from their own home.

Itā€™s just impossible to satisfy all demands, tastes and needs.

2 Likes

The more you provide the more you have to provide.

So, letā€™s say you add a coffee maker. Not only must it be perfect, but also the mugs, filters, cream, sweeteners, etc. must be perfect as well.

Andā€¦ You forgot a stirrer! Blast! What an inconsiderate host!

Oh, heavens no! I donā€™t drink milk. This inconsiderate host didnā€™t leave a soy alternative!

But wait! Iā€™m vegan and support animal rights! This inconsiderate host stores cream with animal proteins in MY space. Shameful!

9 Likes

Wise Felix!!! :smile: once again you hit the nail on the head!
This is exactly why I stopped doing extras!!

I do provide coffee, but keep it in a mason jar so I wonā€™t get cracks about quality. I state in my listing: breakfast and other meals are not included. Provisions are the responsibility of the guest, so please plan accordingly.

Mind you, I have a self contained studio on the ā€œgarden levelā€ (donā€™t you love that euphemism!!?) of my house. Itā€™s got full cooking facilities so really, all meals need to be up to the guest.

Since Iā€™ve stopped providing things like papaya and bagels (what, not gmo and gluten free?) Iā€™ve been happier and have received far less knocks!

3 Likes

A guest from Flip Key, at my very beginning, complained at length on the Guest Book that only 5/6 matched, and that a ~resort~ shouldnā€™t commit this ā€˜errorā€™? I thanked the guests and told them they had the honor of being the last ones from FK.

4 Likes