Tips on writing a Bed Bug message

Hi fellow Airbnb hosts!

We have soon been a host for almost year with our downstair apartment, without any bad experiences so far. (Almost only 5 star reviews.)
Bed Bugs is also something we have yet not experienced, however, I have read that this is an increasing problem also here in Norway. Due to more travels.
Therefor I want to make a notice in our house manual on how to avoid Bed Bugs, both for the guest on his/her travels, and for our apartment.
But who, and should I, write this in the house manual? I do certainly not want to offend any guests.
Does anyone of you have this in your manual? Or any experince with bed bugs?

Don’t bring up the BB word. You are introducing doubt in the minds of guests. If I were a guest, I’d ask myself, why is this host mentioning bedbugs? Did he have them in the past?

I don’t know, I say the less said the better.

4 Likes

I have a contract with a licensed pest control company. They proactively treat against the risk of bedbugs and other pests. South Carolina has an abundance of pests. The company comes in on a monthly basis and if a problem arises between visits they send someone right over. I do not see how you could bring this up anywhere on your listing without causing potential guests to just move on. This topic is not something you need to address with your guests besides saying something like ‘if any problems arise let me know immediately and I will take care of it as soon as possible’, which obviously covers a lot of ground.

Unfortunately, if i saw a note about bed bugs I’d also assume that the listing has had issues before and I’d avoid booking.

3 Likes

OK. Thanks.
I’ll let it be then. :slight_smile:

I would put water-proof, bed bug proof mattress and pillow covers on everything. And then see about getting a pest control service that treats/prevents bed bugs. Other than that, hope and pray, lol.

1 Like

Bed bugs are small, wingless insects that feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals including humans and pets. Their eggs are very small, about the size of a poppy seed. Their larvae are the size of a grain of rice. Adults are about a quarter of an inch long, reddish-brown in color, and fairly flat. They live in dark crevices, such as those in mattresses and bed frames. Many people first realize they have bed bugs when they start to notice bites on their skin. These bites are often present in clusters or small lines on your skin. My uncle and aunt have planned a trip to Connecticut in the united states. They before staying there at any hotels, first checked whether the hotel they are going to stay is pest controlled or not. There are many renowned hotels that call the professionals from Pest Control CT for exterminating pests in their hotels.

Can you please edit your post to remove your company’s name? Otherwise the information is okay to post and informative.

1 Like

A guest just suggest that there were bed bugs in her room as she was leaving my home this morning. As I was so taken aback by her comment, I came to this forum for some information and suggestions about how to write her a message. (FYI - I don’t have bugs. I check thoroughly every time I clean and change sheets. Here’s what I wrote…

"Thank you for choosing my place. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and talking about art and creativity in all of it’s forms.

It saddens me that you would make such an allegation as you did when you were leaving this morning. You obviously pulled back the blankets and sheets and didn’t find anything in or around the bed or you would have stated that you found something. (BTW - everything, including the box spring, mattress and pillows, have protective covers on them) And despite seeing mosquitoes in the room, you assume the worst. I’m not a fan of ignoring what one can see, in favor of something not seen. The previous guest was in that room for a month. If there was an issue, she would certainly have said something. I don’t take your comments lightly. My home and my livelihood are open for scrutiny. I take very seriously the welfare of guests in my home. Not everyone has a background in entomology. Fortunately, it is very easy to find information on the internet. In doing so, you may find some comfort and discover that the issue was, in fact mosquitoes.

I truly hope that you discover a creative path that makes you happy."

At this point, I have no idea what she will say in her review. I’ve read this forum and am a bit scared that just the mention of those critters will end my Airbnb business. Not sure what more that I can do at this point. Fingers crossed for the next 14-days.

I had a fellow message me on his check out day that he had a bite and he suggested bed bugs or staph (!!!). However, I’d seen a mosquito in the room the day before while turning it over and thought I’d gotten it but figured given his bite, I had not.

I replied that it was almost certainly a mosquito. The next day when I spotted the bugger again I got a before pic and an after I smashed it pic just in case. He said nothing more about bugs, gave me a 5 star review and booked his return trip for my place. So not every mention of bed bugs has to be an occasion to freak out.

Good luck and let us know what happens.