Tips on non-ugly padlock?

If I want to lock the exterior of an interior door (to keep guests from going into a small room where I might store my hoards of diamonds and doubloons and my preccciousssss – OK I mean my laptop, some personal papers and the few pieces of jewelry I own that are worth anything), anyone have a simple solution that avoids that junkyard/prison vibe? Hasp and padlock was my first thought, but I have decorative molding and no urge to do any routing and, well, ugleeee.

1 Like

Maybe an electronic keypad? I use a padlock for our supply closet. It’s not the prettiest solution, but it works for us.

Why not just swap out the door handle for one that locks?

2 Likes

Bluetooth padlock or fingerprint padlock if you want something padlock. I’d go with having a standard deadbolt or locking handle. If it’s really valuable you might want a fire proof safe bolted to the wall or floor in the room

I have a built-in floor safe (covered by carpet), a wall safe with a combination lock, and a hidden drawer in a wall cabinet that slides open with a trigger button ~
…but I don’t have anything to put in them. :frowning_face: :disappointed_relieved:

(Previous owner was a bejeweled little ol’ lady and her late husband.)

4 Likes

Sounds very James Bond

1 Like

I know, right?!

And get this…our Tahoe house has a wall safe (also unused) :disappointed_relieved: … and the previous owner must have had a memory problem because she wrote the combination in four areas throughout the house! (duhh!)

1 Like

remove the current door handle and put a keyed lock on the door.
then hang a full length floor to ceiling mirror over the door as as disguise, or have on custom made, or if there is room, put a piece of furniture in front of the door.

1 Like

If you have that kind of money and like cool things take a look at Murphy doors.

1 Like

very very cool thank you

1 Like

I want one for the doorway between my guest room and my hall but am hoping to get one cheaper than what I’m currently seeing.

If there are valuables. Add a deadlock bolt as well. Guests are shameless.