Thoughts about washing machines

Hello everyone,

I’m thinking about buying a washing machine. I’m asking here, because this is certainly something that hosts will know about and have opinions about.

After doing a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that, on balance, I should get

a) A front loading machine (rather than a top loading). Though apparently front loading has mould problems. But front loading also uses less water, and that’s important in a place where water is scarce and stored in tanks. And the concensus seems to be that it also washes better.

b) Automatic (rather than Semi-automatic). I’m really not sure of the advantages of semi-automatic, but automatic just sounds simpler.

I did a little research on Amazon India, which is where I do most of my shopping. Making a choice out of thousands of options is a nightmare. But currently my top candidate is this Bosch 7 Kg frontloader. The price of this just recently dropped a few thousand Rupees, and is currently Rs. 28,990 at Cloudtail. Around USD 450 at current exchange rates. (For those who don’t know, Cloudtail is basically Amazon selling their products under another name to get around Indian Govt restrictions.) So I’m wondering if I should jump on it. Though I typically like to take my time about these things. But the other frontrunner is a similar Bosch model, and I don’t see any other dominant choices. The options include Whirlpool, Samsung, and LG.

From news articles it seems that Bosch is now manufacturing 7kg washing machines in Madras, probably including the listed one. Though in India isn’t hard to get good information about anything.

There seems to be some confusion whether the drum is stainless steel, but I’m not sure how crucial that is. Stainless steel rusts too, in my experience. I also need to check if this machine has parts available manufactured in India.

Thoughts welcome.

If you keep the door cracked open after a wash you will avoid it getting musty. If you keep it sealed that may occur.

That’s a useful tip. Thank you. I’ve owned front loading machines and never had a problem. But not in India.

I just bought a Bosch dishwasher from Craigslist (second hand), and it’s fabulous. Best dishwasher I’ve ever had. I think you have to buy special soap for front loaders. My toploader is 17 years old, and I can adjust how much water it uses. The wash cycles are much shorter. I was worried I’d never get my clothes back when I used frontloaders in Europe,it seemed like hours for a wash.

I have a front loader. You don’t have to buy special soap. You just need to use less soap than in a top loader. If you use too much soap you’ll have bubbles all over the room.

Hello Faheem,

I have an LG front loader washing machine. After five years of heavy use, there have been no problems with it.

To avoid mold forming, I always leave the door open, after use, and occasionally I lift the rubber gasket around the door and wipe under it with vinegar.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone.

Does anyone have comments about automated vs semi-automated? I’m not even clear what a semi-automated washing machine looks like. It’s possible I’ve never seen one.

I’ve never heard of a semi-automatic but I have a Bosch similar to the one you’re contemplating, and love it. You don’t need a special soap, although I’d recommend liquid rather than powder. I have had issues with powder dissolving at the lower temperatures of newer machines. My husband researches any new appliances, energy efficiency etc etc, but then always goes on Mumsnet to see what’s rated well. A bit sexist but it works! And no, he still doesn’t know how to use it…

Thanks, @Joan. Glad I’m not the only one who has not heard of a semi-automatic.

What is the model of your machine? Do you have a link?

LOL. I’ll definitely need to learn to use it. I don’t have an option - there’s nobody else who can.

I’ve discussed the disgusting front loader I use on other threads. There’s pond scum that builds up not only in the gasket of the door but somewhere in the bowels of the machine too.

It’s gets on my wash and is disgusting. Total design fail
Who cares if it saves water when you have to run the load two or three times??

Would never buy a front loader. A failing trend.

1 Like

Amidst my tears of laughter, how about a quick trip to the car park and adjust it with a half a gallon of petrol ? If I could PM yet, I’d say a sense of humour is returning x Hugs. Good news x

1 Like

I’d never heard of a semi-automatic washing machine until this thread. I Googled and found that they are sold in India, not in the U.S. From what I’ve read I would not buy one. What’s the point of having a washing machine if you have to do the work yourself? I recommend that you buy a fully automatic washing machine.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-semi-automatic-and-fully-automatic-washing-machines

1 Like

We just bought a Speed Queen top loader. More expensive but expected to last up to 25 years.

I am interested in how your life is.
I remember you were educated in the US.
Are you happy back in India? Have you found good employment?
Why do you rent on ABB?
I would love to know more…

Thanks everyone for your comments. I eventually went ahead and purchased the Bosch I linked to in my initial message. A sale coincidentally happened this weekend, so I got a good price.

Fingers crossed. India isn’t a good place to have problems with appliances. Service ranges from mediocre to terrible with a dash of insanity.

2 Likes

Hi @georgygirlofairbnb,

Thank you for your interest. Though I’m not that interesting, really.

Not really, no. But it could be worse.

No. I don’t seem to get a lot of free time. I’m the only functioning adult in my vicinity. At least the only functioning educated adult who knows English. So I tend to have to deal with lots of stuff, small decisions that there is nobody else to make. Lots of domestic stuff to get mired in. Lots of distractions. Lots of details elided, obviously.

To make some money and meet new people. We happened to have a small spare room that was in severe disuse so I thought I’d do it up and rent it on Airbnb, so that’s what I did.

With some hindsight, I don’t think it is a particularly good way to do either.
(One just can’t charge a lot of money in India for short term renting. The market won’t support it.) Though I’ve made some money and (sort of) met some new people. But Airbnb itself kind of sucks, so that’s a problem. I probably should take the next step and get a web site going.

(This should probably be a separate thread. Maybe a private one.)

2 Likes

In a previous home, we did a kitchen remodel and installed a Bosch under-counter washer, dryer and dishwasher. Cost a pretty penny but they were the quietest, most efficient well-manufactured appliances ever!

I’m sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

(My current Whirlpool dishwasher is the only appliance that comes close to being as quiet as the Bosch. One can whisper in the kitchen and still be heard clearly. Alas, it’s not used anymore - it’s faster to hand wash.)

1 Like

Speaking of appliance noise, I recently had to consult my troubleshooting guide for my new Samsung fridge. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Luckily everything appears to be normal. :blush::cowboy_hat_face:

I’m sorry – I ended up giggling because I thought only one of the pictures of a particular sound applied to the fridge…not all of them! A bee? Tea kettle whistle…a branch breaking?! (How 'bout an explosion!) Too funny.

1 Like

Funnily enough, some of the sounds are pretty well illustrated by the silly drawings! It does make a really loud knock, crack or pop, which sounds like the branch breaking! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like