This one took us by surprise

What guests like this don’t understand, and some other hosts either, is that while indeed some other host may have let them do such a thing, it isn’t necessarily something the host may have willingly chosen to do or that they do this often.

It could have easily been one of those situations where the host was afraid to say no because they thought it would lead to a bad review, or were a newbie who was under the impression they had to try to accommodate everything a guest asks for.

I always answer these types of questions in the affirmative.

“Yes, you can come the night before! Just change your booking to add a night, or I can send you an alteration request with the new total. Which do you prefer?”

8 Likes

What crappy guests! Those can be tough situations, often without a great solution. You do the best that you can in this situation to get what you want, without risking getting unfairly slammed.
This is exactly why our check-out is 10 AM. If a guest leaves at 10:30 or 11am, we do not have to care, and have avoided the conflict.
Check-in is 3 pm, and most turnovers take 90 min, so this works for us.

Can I ask the type and size of this space? Just curious. I need to start moving faster, I think.

It might be contagious? We got this in tonight:
Also love how the booking is for one, not two as we are sure is the case (different rate for +1).

2 Likes

Wiggle room? He considers a 50% discount wiggle room? GTFO.

5 Likes

The basic area is 18’ x 21’. Think “large studio”, with most things (queen bed, sofa, desk, tv, kitchenette) in one area with attached private bathroom. Everything we need is right there or just outside it.

2 Likes

I just got a booking request from “Robin Hood” (new profile, no pic, etc., of course). I asked for names and ages of the group. Waiting on response.

What are the odds I get back: Little John, Lady Marian, Friar Tuck, Prince John, King Richard?

I am always so torn when I get these “possibly” fake name reservations. I’ll eat crow if it’s legit.

I know some folks don’t care but I just don’t know. Bookings are slow so it makes me feel less “picky”. But, this is my house and a significant investment for me to just let any old “literary character” crash there.

5 Likes

Famous person maybe? I’m still inclined to decline

Yeah. It depends upon the response. I do have some acquaintances with some pretty unbelievable names.

So, who’s to say this isn’t legit…yet. A more timely reply would help but they have time on the clock so I’ll be patient.

Admittedly this is a first for me on VRBO & so I’ll have to research how to handle it if it gets close to timing out. It is a booking request and not just and inquiry.

I don’t think it should count against me if they won’t answer my questions (just name/age of group members & agreement to House Rules).

Anyone know if VRBO & Air handle this scenario the same way?

This is an old story for the regulars here so here’s the link to my first thread on the topic

2 Likes

It could be worse. Grendel, Bob Ewell, Daisy Buchanan, Annie Wilkes, Abigail Williams, Veruca Salt…

1 Like

For sure! The guest could be traveling with an ESA hog! :joy:

2 Likes

Oh, this is fun game. I think the worst would be Humbert Humbert.

I almost included Humbert Humbert :nauseated_face: Do you think Airbnb would let me cancel him since I live next to a school?

2 Likes

I have an acquaintance who legally changed her name to Cruella Deville. It was a joke among her and her friends, because of her looks, and they used to call her Cruella. Then one of her friends dared her to change her name officially, and being the kind if gal she is, she did.

I got request from a gamer type name booking from Malaysia a couple of years ago, new member, no ID, picture was a game picture. I told them that I didn’t take bookings from members that don’t use a real name and post a real picture, and told them they needed to upload ID.

They turned out to be a honeymoon couple from Kuala Lampur who were tech workers, very shy and sweet.

1 Like

Yes, sometimes it’s new users who don’t understand the setup.

Turns out my guest is legit. I called VRBO to confirm their other info. Once I accepted the booking I could see it and investigate.

Eating my crow now.

2 Likes

I usually put a little Tabasco on mine, it helps.

2 Likes

Yes, I should start looking at ways to spice this dish up since I “enjoy” it often! :sweat_smile:

1 Like