This is so gross and possibily illegal hotel cleaning policy!

That is a statement based on behaviors and is completely fair - it’s also fair game to restrict people from using your kitchen if it is causing you problems. But to deny a rental to my VP of Business Development because he has brown skin is both illegal and misguided, imho.

who is talking about skin color? I am talking about country of origin and social trates of nations. We all have traits, like my home country is famous for its drunks.

So you will only discriminate based on country of origin, not based on their skin color? So if it is a family of Indian people who are based in the US that is acceptable? But a white family who is based in India is not ok?

My friend is Indian but is married to a caucasian girl, would they be acceptable?

Yana - I believe what you care about is that the people don’t trash your place and that you are a good person. The only reason I am voicing a problem with this point of view is that it is a slippery slope. Discriminating based on country of origin is illegal in the US.

Anyone who doesn’t want guests from India should send them to me. We’ve only had Indian guests once and they were wonderful. They brought all their food already cooked and only used our microwave. They cleaned up after themselves. They were fun to talk with and left us a great review. Best of all, they shared their food which was delicious.

The people I’ve had who don’t clean up after themselves have mostly been Americans. We even had one woman who licked the knife she was using to spread mustard, then put it back in the jar of mustard. We threw away the jar of mustard. We’ve had a lot of Americans, some who left messes, many who didn’t. As I am American and I clean up after myself, I don’t see this as a cultural trait. The point is to see people as individuals.

I can not continue this discussion because it will be endless . I know this: many hosts mentioned here multiple “problems” with guests from Asia in particularly India with non stop cooking and not cleaning well after themselves. I am sure there are plenty of super clean Asian people who are exemplary guests but I was very disappointed in my situation. I travel the world and I make friends with any skin color in every part of it , but it does not mean I would like every person that I encountered rent from me. Because I see how the live and their habits.
It does not mean I don’t like them or I have prejudice . I just don’t trust them with keeping my house safe

We just had an Indian couple and their 6 mo old son and they were great guests…no gigantic messes, they did cook in but didn’t wreck anything. Too big a country to generalize I think.

But I don’t want even a non gigantic mess:)

I’ll agree that it’s pointless to continue the discussion.

It might be a nice gesture to put a “No Asians” line in your house rules listing so that those 4 billion people are saved the effort of trying to book.

I am not Trump after all, there is such thing as being politically correct. I consider it to be a good business decision to not host a particular type of guests based on their social trates, age and other reasons in order to have a profitable and as less stress as possible business.

Yana,

I understand where you are coming from. I will say that I believe the people who participate on this forum sometimes discriminate based on ethnicity…not by race (physical attributes).

We are not hotels where we can just send guests to another room. If I had someone smoking cigarettes, or cooking spicy food for days on end (that gets into every bit of upholstery) - I would maybe have to give a refund for next guests checking into the house 5 hours later if they refused to stay. That may cause me to lose hundreds/thousands of dollars. I cancelled a FK reservation because she would not return any messaging. Her relative said she may smoke up the house regardless of losing the damage deposit. Long story. I couldn’t risk my next guest’s vacation being ruined. I cancelled. The fact that she was not reachable spoke volumes.

Our businesses are not the same as a long term landlord refusing to rent to an Indian because they don’t like them. It’s because it affects our business and other guests who we have a contract with… It’s not fair to put another guest contract in jeopardy when over and over and over again a certain culture proves to put a hardship on the owner.

Thank you for understanding. Actually this is exactly what happened with me. I had a Jewish family coming for Holidays right the next day and because the mess was so significant I had to pay extra 200$ for extra people to come and help with cleaning. And still it was not enough time to be ready. They were very understanding and said they have to clean again anyway for the holidays.But if it were different guests the outcome would not be as pleasant. If they said to Airbnb that the house was not ready I would have to refund them and it would be 2200$.