This is a new one for me -- guest/neighbor sister drama

We have a separate entrance, self contained apartment rental in the lower level of our suburban home. Our neighbors have been supportive and friendly toward our airbnb endeavor, and have occasionally rented the apartment for their overflow guests or family visiting from out of state. Yesterday I got a request to book in August from someone who identified herself as the sister of our neighbor;
I don’t recall her specifically, but she mentioned a few things about our yard that she has noticed and liked when a guest at here sister’s place, so it seems reasonable, I see no issues, and I approve the request thinking nothing more of it.

Last night I was sitting in our yard while the dogs had their final run around and overheard my neighbor on the phone with her sister (she often sits out on her deck talking on the phone and her voice carries.) I hear her trying to get her sister to cancel her stay with me. Seems she doesn’t want this sister to visit at that time. The sister says she can’t cancel because I have a strict cancellation policy (true, but she was still in the window to cancel, and honestly, this would likely be a case where I’d make an exception even if it were past the cancelation deadline). My neighbor sounded very peeved and put out about the whole thing.

Today she chats with me as we’re both in our yards and says “Gee, I wish you would check with me before taking on my family as guests.” I was more than a little taken aback. I mean, how would that work? I said something like – "if there’s some kind of issue with dates I am happy to re-schedule provided my calendar is open. And I can do cancellations on a case by case basis. . . " She was kind of jokey, but also seemed to feel I was in the wrong accepting a booking without first checking with her.

This should be interesting.

8 Likes

How bizarre. I might have said to the neighbor, “Well, it never would have occurred to me that your relatives would book here, planning to visit with you, without first checking with you to make sure it was a convenient time for you.”

Not to mention, it’s also possible that her rellies might book just because they like the area and want to vacation there, without necessarily assuming they’ll be spending a lot of time with your neighbor.

In any case, trying make it your problem is way off the mark.

7 Likes

Honestly, this sounds like a case of neighbors and airbnb not mixing. I have a couple of dog sitting clients who have booked my room before for relatives and they’ve always done it, booked direct and paid in advance on Venmo. So you could move to that model. If they want to dictate to you what guests you accept, they can pay.

6 Likes

Geeze, talk about someone seriously misinterpreting divisions of responsibility. That’s so not your problem.

4 Likes

I agree not your problem, “Gosh, I don’t discriminate against anyone from booking unless they have a record of being bad guests. Can you and your family discuss among yourselves in advance next time?”

That would be as if your neighbor went to the local hotel and told them to refuse to book their family members.

That being said, I had a long-term friendly relationship with 2 young brothers in a group rental house next door (they dogsat for me, I lent them tools, etc.), and their very nice parents would direct book with me at a discounted rate to visit. I did say to the guys, “I will let you know if your parents request to book, just in case you’d rather I be booked up and not accommodate them on those dates.”

6 Likes

That’s a great suggestion

Yes, I do this too for friends and neighbours on a mates rates basis

I agree with the others who say this is really not your problem. Had you asked her first she might well have said “Why would you think she’d book with you without clearing the date with me first? How odd!” I would offer her discounted rates privately in future with all bookings to come via your neighbour

1 Like

Yet another in agreement here. I’ve no idea what on earth would make a host see this as their problem.

1 Like

Ah, family drama. Good luck. I like your answer of "It never occurred to me to check with you about my guests. " and then offering cancellation on a case-by-case basis.

You never know which family member crosses ALL the boundaries - or maybe just likes the area and wants a vacation?

Good luck - did you cancel the stay or is she coming? If she’s coming, we need the follow up gossip!

2 Likes

As a host I’m always amazed at the odd situations we have to deal with without causing offense to someone. I feel it’s impossible to predict so many of these situations, inorder to plan wisely so as not to offend. I personally do a lot of praying!

1 Like

Something’s going on here that has nothing to do with you, obviously. Clearly, your neighbor doesn’t want her sister there. And the sister is going to be there whether her sister likes it or not. I have a relative like that. She’d be capable of booking the house next to me just to be irritating. Here’s an idea. What if your neighbor were to just go away that weekend and lock up her house? I know this is in the realm of fantasy, and, of course, it’s none of your business, but it would thwart the ill intentions of the come-from-away, sister, wouldn’t it? In any case, I’d tell the neighbor she needs to deal with whatever issue she has with her sister and not put it on you. I would also be perfectly happy to promise never to book this sister again. She sounds like trouble.

1 Like