This Guest Will Be a Nightmare - Lying & Threatening

I have wondered about this too. Who is actually paying it? Do they charge the guest? If not and they pick it up, then what incentive to do guests have to behave?

Yes the small amounts are easy to adjudicate. Anything over 300 gets more tricky.

Always open a case first when you have trouble to get a jump on things and to document the issue.

I usually always do but because she threatened me I wanted to talk to AB first and make sure they are aware of it.

The way they worded it is such like AB is paying for it. Just hard for me to believe they took both hits and paid it without having the guest involved.

My guess is they pay it and say “you are such a great host and you never have any claims and you are so important to us and we love you. Here’s OUR money to compensate you.” Then they try to get the money from the guest. They could say “you owe this and we are suspending your account until you pay” if the guest refuses to accept the charges. I don’t know if that’s in the TOS, just guessing here.

1 Like

Sounds like now AB is “blackmailing” the guest :wink:

3 Likes

Airbnb rewards guests who complain, which I think furthers the behaviors and outlines host targets.

As for stuff that gets mangled, we have creosote railroad ties, that over time are old enough to where its only the logs, left, without any coating. We use them as outdoor seating around the campfires. We frequently have guests, usually from France, that will put the entire log into the fire pit. We can’t seem to get them to stop doing it.

We used to purchase skewers for the fire, and they are returned more burnt and bent than the deep sea triton spear. The handles are torn off, apparently gifted to the fire gods. And its unbelievable, what could you possibly doing to bend a hot dog skewer into a sea monster.

The effort to prove that the guest put it in the fire OMG. I’d have to have photos of them putting it in. I do not. They didn’t look like crazies, they looked like normal guests. Come to the fireplace and its like maybe they turned into the avengers for the night.

We buy Amazon Sheets, which the guests seem to like and won’t break the bank if they do get soiled.
A mattress cover is a must. you have to expect that the sheets will be expendable.

3 Likes

Did you see the post from Hidden Haven recently in which a guest left the fire unattended/not fully extinguished and it started to spread? The guest fell asleep and didn’t answer her phone. She even slept through the fire department arriving to put out the fire which had spread to the ground and a nearby chair.

If not for the security camera alerting the remote host there might have been a devastating fire. I don’t know what kind of rental you have or if you are onsite but you might look into setting up outdoor cameras. When you see the french tourists moving the railroad ties you can message them and ask the to stop.

1 Like

For whatever it’s worth, I photograph every breakable, stealable, soilable item in my rental unit immediately before each guest arrives, with a date/time stamp on it. That way I have both “before” and “after” photos if anything is damaged or taken.

1 Like

That must be almost a full time job!

1 Like

OMG how long does that take?

1 Like

I have it down to about 10 images of groups of items, so it takes just a few minutes at most.

2 Likes