That noise you can hear is self-management dying on Airbnb and vacation rentals

More professionalized, more hotel like, this is the way Airbnb is going according to this article:

http://vacationrental.intweetiv.com/

Gee thanks, @Jan_J, somehow my morning coffee didn’t taste so good after reading this article … especially as it sounds all too plausible a scenario.

1 Like

Also in my own city I see more and more “hosts” are outsourcing everything related to Airbnb to professionals, everything from cleaning to guest management to key delivery and guest communication.

The funny thing, these hosts often earn the “superhost” status after a short time. This is one of the reasons why I think the Airbnb superhost program is a joke.

The airbnb superhost program is a joke

I don’t see how one of these impersonal commercial management companies can be a SH

I think the author of the acticle has got the wrong end of the stick when they refer to Superhost - and in the article it sounds less misinformed than deliberate. They’re selling an alternative platform.

I am a Superhost. I host a small 1 bedroom in my own home. I am a Superhost not because I’m a professional, hotelier like service, (or a small business as quoted in the article). But because the room is clean, the location desirable and as I only have to look after 1 group at a time, I can say the service is excellent. I am a Superhost because I go out of my way to ensure that every guest is looked after extremely well. I also work full-time, and have 3 children. Saying that this makes it difficult for the non Superhosts is ridiculous. If you can’t be there and provide that kind of service, say so in the listing, adjust the price accordingly, be honest about what you’re offering. I’m not adverse to sleeping on an air mattress in student digs, but if the host is rude or non responsive, then that’s an issue.

Everytime I see these articles about the Superhost thing it sort of annoys me. Superhosts aren’t just people with multiple properties and an inexhaustible means to rise above the others. Superhosts are very often small operators like myself.

If you’re selling an alternative, do it by highlighting the positives, not by denegrating a competitor. Gee it’s starting to sound alot like American politics.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. Most superhosts I saw in the webiste are hosts that managed one or two listings, no more. The thing about being a SH is that you need to dedicate more time to became one. If you focus your attention into delivering the best experience to only one guest and one listing the outcome will be higher than if were trying to the same with 10 listings. Indeed, most of the bad reviews I read from the website came from big property managers (more than 20 listings). My interpretation of the new idea is actually the complete opposite of what the article’s author wrote. I believe Airbnb is more interested in having 10 SH that managed 5 properties each than to have 1 big property manager than manage 50 properties. By this, they are helping owners that don’t have time to manage their listings to find SH nearby that have proved to be great hosts and can give them more attention to their properties than a rental agency that is overwhelmed with a lot of listing under their belt. Moreover, with a rental agency you never know who is managing your property, Their might be 5-6 different people having your apartment’s key. By having a SH, you can get a more human relationship with him.

2 Likes

@Wilburforce I completely agree. I don’t think SH status presents any difficulties at all. I have had a couple of guests I wished I could cancel without penalty (I want to keep my SH travel coupon) but I got them to cancel themselves and it all worked out. Many of the articles focus on the more commercial aspect of Airbnb and in the big tourist markets. But there are many of us out here who are doing what the original idea was: hosting in our home and making connections with people.

I didn’t get it, either. Maybe because I’m a super host - like @Wilburforce I work full time and have three kids. I earned super host when I still had an airbed and junky furniture. I treat my business like a business - like a hospitality business, but I treat my guests like friends.

(I have to say, I’ve also been very lucky with who I’ve gotten as guests).

3 Likes