Tenants locking themselves out?

Hello. My first guests have come and gone. They were fine but they called me at work on arrival to say the key did not work. I came home to help them and they had been trying to unlock the garage, even though the door to the room itself was standing wide open right there. (I had forgotten I left the door open for their arrival - no need to lock it except for their privacy).

So my question is, where do you list a lock-out fee and how do you charge for it?

thanks

My message to guests “When you arrive the door will be unlocked.” So far only one group asked for a key. The joy of living in the country.

You list your lock-out fee in your House Rules and/or Welcome Letter.
How do you charge for it? When you take time from work (or wherever) to go home and let them in, you hold out your hand. Every five or ten bucks helps.

2 Likes

It is quite an expensive proposition. I feel I won’t change the sheets again for less than $100 total rate. Guest confusion was not seeing a bed so I labeled the wall bed ‘pull down bed’.

@SheilaS
You could also use the Airbnb resolution system.
I imagine if one leaves such a note that key loss is charged, they’ll also specify the amount. All of this should also act as a deterrent for careless handling?