Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Taxes in austin...WTF!

Hi guys! How many ATX folks we got in here? I’m getting conflicting info so I wanted to check with you all who have more experience with this than I.
I just learned…i think anyways…that ABB doesn’t remit City of Austin occupancy tax…but only for the state. Does this sound right to you guys? So, I now have to go back and add up all the fees ABB has taken from each booking, add it to my total payouts, then pay 9%. That is what the city told me…ABB told me they remit payment. But I think ABB is confused between CITY and STATE taxes…?? Thank you!

Front end Airbnb customer service has only the foggiest notion of what taxes they remit. I wouldn’t put much stock in what they tell you. The two times I’ve had tax questions the front end rep has passed it on to the Tax & Legal team (I think that’s what it was called) and then I never hear back from them again. (At least 6 months waiting since my last question) So good luck getting an answer!

You’re probably better off checking the math: You can check your transaction history, then hit the “gross earnings” tab. This will have a column on the right showing what tax amount they collected/remitted. See if that amount aligns with the State tax only or if it was enough to cover State & city taxes.

and those 2 combined is 15%, right? At least I think that is what the COA lady told me

What is COA?

20 20 20

stands for City of Austin

If Austin requires a city hotel tax. And Texas requires a state hotel tax, it should be easy to calculate how much that is. Go to any hotel website and pretend to book a room. Before you actually book, those taxes will be detailed. Then compare that to what AirBNB has been taking from your payouts/charging your guests.

Good tip, thanks. It is 15% so, No, ABB doesn’t pay the COA. You have to calc that yourself, being sure to add back in ANY fees ABB charges. This is turning out to not be a lucrative side hustle really…will have to do a little more math once I figure it all out.

Just wait until someone trashes your place and Airbnb doesn’t help you! lol

Seriously though, there’s a lot to consider.

oh man!! do you do whole house? we are just doing rooms so I’m home mostly…

No I do a room in my home. And I’m in El Paso and there is no city tax here…yet.

But mostly I was teasing. Airbnb can be very rewarding but taxes are never fun.

What did Airbnb say about your pricing glitch @sdh ?

I didn’t pursue it. Chalked it up as learning mistake and went through the calendar and changed prices accordingly.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!