Survey for NYC AirBnB Hosts Conducted by students at Hunter College

Hi all,

I hope I’m not taking advantage of this nice forum, but I ask that any NYC AirBnB hosts who see this please take a couple minutes of their time to complete our survey. I think you will see the value in our research and will be interested in the results (which we’ll be happy to share!)

As I’m sure you all know, as a peer-to-peer network that is disrupting the incumbent hospitality industries globally, AirBnB has been the subject of much controversy. In New York, legislation was passed this October with the intent of clamping down on AirBnB rentals. The central questions that the AirBnB debate raises range from the nuanced to the obscure: What is the true nature of the sharing economy? To what extent does the government have the right to regulate this industry? Etc.

As always, more data is crucial to keeping both sides accountable to hard facts. This is why myself and a group of my classmates a Hunter College in Manhattan are conducting research into NYC AirBnB rentals using spatial and quantitative techniques, In particular, we are hoping to zero in on accommodation type (shared room, private room, whole unit) as an indicator of economic necessity. This data should hopefully shed some light on the “Illegal hotels” vs. “making ends meet” arguments.

We would like to supplement our existing data with survey-form data, as we think it can provide a more in-depth look at the nature of NYC Airbnb rentals. Once again, the survey can be completed here.

Thank you for your help, and please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Best,
Trevor