Surge in requests from new Airbnb users

To make this short, first this guest asked to add another person after she booked for one, then she asked to bring a dog after she said her dog walker was sick and then she said she would cancel but would come anyway when she saw there was a penalty. I’m pretty sure this is a bogus user with a bogus listing and I will be surprised to actually get the money for her reservation that was cancelled, we will see. I will be happy to upload actual screenshots of our strange conversation she did cancel
Member since 2009?
No reviews

2 Likes

Sounds to me like a flaky/wishy-washy guest but can’t see why you’d flag her as bogus. Then again, I’m not from NYC so have a less sensitive bulls*** detector :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think somethings up here. My bs detector is pretty good but so is my French husbands! This platform is suffering from everything associated with rapid growth but you nailed it 2009 and no trips, reviews? And, she’s impossible to find on the net even though she has Facebook friends in the hundreds and she says she went to Rutgers and I think air has been hacked. I did not give a refund but I am betting the charge won’t go through. Anyway, crickets silence on her (or his) end. Wish we could block guests like we do on ebay

same here, @hypertokyo - I joined in 2012 looking for places in Shanghai but nothing came together and I rented from another site. Forgot all about it until 2015 when looking for a place in Mobile, AL, after which I started hosting.

1 Like

I’ve almost always had guests new to airbnb. Some of you will scold me, to be sure, but I hardly even check for reviews anymore, because there are almost none. My rudest group actually DID have positive reviews and I was so thrilled that I gave them a discount. Thankfully it was a one-night stay.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize she gave all of those contact details. Just that alone would have me worried. Red flags.

1 Like

I’ve been hosting for four years and the vast, vast majority of my guest were and still are new members. In my case, they are not touristy travelers, but have a specific reason to come here, like a few months-long course of study, and they join air to find something better than a hotel for months, but shorter than a year lease on an apartment

1 Like