Support to hosts in overwhelmed pandemic areas

Many of us have voiced our angst over lost income, not seeing favorite guests, Airbnb COVID policies, etc. My concern and compassion today goes out to those living in the cities and countries where the COVID surge has overwhelmed the capacity to deal with it. It’s bad enough to have COVID affect you and those you love, but realizing that care is uncertain is horrible. The family tragedy and anxiety level is surely through the roof. My brother-in-law died from COVID this week, but we have the comfort of knowing that he got as much medical care as he possibly could. Hopefully the post-holiday surge will subside and the vaccine roll out will provide light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers.

3 Likes

Condolences, Christine. The death rate here in Mexico is about 8% and if you end up in the ICU there is an 85% chance that you will die. Hospitals in Mexico City are at 88% capacity and 4 doctors just resigned yesterday when it came out that the federal chief medical officer in charge of the pandemic response took a beach vacation over the holidays.

2 Likes

My condolences on the loss of your brother in law.

3 Likes

I was not particularly scared until now. If I get sick for any reason, knowing my hospital can’t help me is very sobering. Staying careful, staying masked, limit all activities around other people. So obvious, but there is also major covid fatigue. I think I read that our governor is going to administer all 1st round vaccines regardless of arrival of the 2nds …

1 Like

Wow! But I can’t be critical of any country given what’s going on in the US

4 Likes

Condolences Christine. Like you, we closed in March and haven’t reopened due to Covid (If I remember your prior posts correctly). I’m so sorry about your BIL. :frowning_face:

Thank you. You have a good memory! Right now we opened one of three rooms for July (our most private) and are thinking about moving that back to May if my husband and I are both vaccinated. May has historically been our busiest month, but I suspect reduced activity at the multiple area colleges will affect reservations even if we open.

1 Like

I clicked the heart button, which has several meanings. From me to you, the meaning today is love, support and soft sniffles on behalf of your BIL. Hugs to the family.

1 Like