Superhost status a curse?

It was just meant to point out the naked truth.

Despite your trumpean bombast about how you’ve got it all sorted, you know best and most of the rest of the hosts here are nitwits, the fact that you haven’t achieved as much occupancy/turnover as some of us lowly non-cookie-offering, non-rubber-duck non-superhosts have, had to be pointed out!

Oh, and you’re right, mine wasn’t a ‘brain-generated’ reply (and don’t forget the hyphen there!) – I didn’t think your smug I-know-it-all post required any response from my higher organs.

7 Likes

Astaire https://airhostsforum.com/u/astaire
August 22

Staywme:

@ Astaire Not sure if your comment was/is sarcastic about us “Clearly
doing something wrong” but it would be much more appreciated reading
something a bit more brain generated than an off the cuff comment with no
relevance whatsoever.

It was just meant to point out the naked truth.

Despite your trumpean bombast about how you’ve got it all sorted, you
know best and most of the rest of the hosts here are nitwits, the fact that
you haven’t achieved as much occupancy/turnover as some of us lowly
non-cookie-offering, non-rubber-duck non-superhosts have, had to be pointed
out!

Oh, and you’re right, mine wasn’t a ‘brain-generated’ reply (and don’t
forget the hyphen there!) – I didn’t think your smug I-know-it-all post
required any response from my higher organs.

Visit Topic
https://airhostsforum.com/t/superhost-status-a-curse/16591/43 or reply
to this email to respond.

In Reply To
Staywme https://airhostsforum.com/u/staywme
August 22
@ Astaire Not sure if your comment was/is sarcastic about us “Clearly
doing something wrong” but it would be much more appreciated reading
something a bit more brain generated than an off the cuff comment with no
relevance whatsoever.

Visit Topic
https://airhostsforum.com/t/superhost-status-a-curse/16591/43 or reply
to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
https://airhostsforum.com/email/unsubscribe/ceb9e961435b5add93f11e5f917fbbb4a17dbfe529360f9209ccb5f5d2b280f2

Glad I was correct; you’re full of scheisse. Get yourself another drink or whatever you’re on.

Maybe I’m missing something but what is the point of this post? You just copied everything @Astaire said with no comment. I must agree a bit that your post was a bit pompous and seemed to be talking down to the many experienced hosts here. At first I thought you were trying to sell us something. :innocent:

9 Likes

Enough. Stop. …

4 Likes

He’s trying to promote his book @Maggieroni :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought that was David Boe or are they both promoting a book or blog or whatever @Helsi Thanks for clarification
So when I publish my book from all the great ideas I’m stealing from this forum I’ll be sure to send you all a free copy! :nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

@Konacoconutz
Gladly.
With comments attacking my posts, I just unsubscribed from this craziness.
Another venue going to hell, because people can’t be civilized and have an
adult discussion. To bad that my post was interpreted as “perhaps going to
sell something”, “pompous” and whatever else came to mind.
Nil Carborundum Illegitimo
Peter

I am a super host right now. This too may pass.

In the end this is a business. Being a super host a business decision. It’s a trap to be addicted to the accolades and strive for those. Super host is a psychological tool by the platform company. It’s strategy is to make you keep striving to receive the impossible of PERFECTLY pleasing everyone all the time. This is the road to insanty.

Instead I focus on full disclosure on my profile and listing and consistency when dealing with guests. I have found the carrot handy in managing guests. Free box of Girl Scout cookies and a thNkyou for your patience goes A LONG WAY!

like I SAID THIS IS A BUSINESS AND IF YOU ARE HITTING YOUR MONETARY GOALS FOR YOUR BUSINESS WHAT does IT MATTER IF THAT as a SUPER-HOST OR NOT? nobody is going for this as a tombstone truth.

6 Likes

Oops you are right @Maggieroni.

Apologies @Staywme

2 Likes

Ditto! My Airbnb apartment would be tricked out and have gold ceilings if I put it all right back in. Dang, I use that $$ to live on!

1 Like

Hi everyone, Appreciate the conversation. I’m not sure if it is directly connected to the Superhost status or not, interesting thought. In general I find guests’ expectations are higher and higher. I think it has more to do with the way airbnb markets itself. When you look at the website and the featured homes are tree houses and mansions on the water, plus destinations that include trips, it is hard to remember the airbnb roots of air mattresses on the floor to pay the rent… Folks compare us to hotels and quaint New England Bed and Breakfasts, not other airbnbs. I have lots of first time airbnb users and I often remind them of the original concept of airbnb in my email. Hope this helps…

8 Likes

Very well said. I think we come off being phony and insincere when we go overboard with trying to please and make things just perfect.

2 Likes

Pretty sure most of my guests have no idea what a Superhost is.

2 Likes

Amen sister! Give em an arm and …

2 Likes

…and a what else? Maybe a toilet plunger?

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think superhost means that much. Just keep doing what you are doing. The bookings will come. I’m a superhost, big deal. People book my place because of the location and then give me 4* for location–go figure. I’ve had a couple of guests (I have 230 reviews) complain about no TV. Did I rush out and get a TV? NO! You can’t please 'em all. Sometimes you get a run of ridiculous reviews. Try to keep your head and just soldier on. Oh, and return that air purifier and get your money back!

4 Likes

2 comments:

1. It’s all about managing expectations. Once you have been hosting for some time, you should get a good idea of the most common complaints or negative comments. Be clear and upfront (that is, place the caveats at the TOP of your listing description or show in the first few pics) about these aspects of your listing. At the very least, it will serve to provide a good response to negative reviews. For example: “Dear ____, thanks for your comments. As you may have noticed, I did address the fact that we are about 45 minutes drive from the city center on the second paragraph of my listing description” etc.

2. I provide a Guestbook - a folder with all the important information for guests (e.g. Wifi log in, check in and check out times, my recommendations for neighborhood restaurants etc). In the Guestbook, I include the following words:

"FEEDBACK

Since becoming an Airbnb Host, I am committed to making sure all my Guests receive a Five Star Stay, and have the best experience I can provide.

If I have overlooked any detail about your stay that I can take care of, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can immediately address it, rather than letting me know in a review after your stay."

This has made a difference

Good luck.

Peter.

3 Likes

I’d agree with that. I wince when I see listings that promise all kinds of things and use superlatives like luxury, beautiful, gorgeous, central (when it’s clearly not) and show close-up photos of orchids, a bottle of wine (not provided) on a gleaming table etc etc etc. You’re setting people up for disappointment. I do the opposite and tell people my place is a craphole, basically, but they will get a clean comfortable room and a friendly welcome.

(Obviously I don’t actually use the word craphole)

5 Likes

I’ve found that guests’ expectations are not manageable. The most common complaints I get:

The attraction I want to see is so far away. I state in my listing that Los Angeles, CA is a sprawled city with inefficient public transportation.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame is disappointing. I tell every guest that unless you enjoy watching people shoot up and being shaken down by people dressed as cartoon characters you should skip the Walk of Fame. They all go anyway then report to me how disappointing it was.

Which bathroom is mine? My listing clearly states that there is only one bathroom in the entire house and that guests and hosts share it.

Your dogs sure are big. We say that our dogs are large several times in our listing.

1 Like