Superhost Relief Fund - some good news

We have just been notified that we have received a grant from the Superhost Relief Fund. We would like to thank AirBnB both for their financial support, and also for their confidence that we will be able to recover successfully from the current Covid-19 crisis once the situation improves. We are currently still in lockdown, but the grant will help us to survive until we are allowed to take bookings again. We are looking forward to getting back to business!

Thanks, AirBnB.

P.S. And, before people ask - no, we have no idea what the criteria for selection are, other than what has been publicly announced - the message from AirBnB contained no more detail than that we had been successful in our application. But hopefully more superhosts will be receiving grants in the near future.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

If you are comfortable sharing, it might be helpful for other hosts to know how much you received, what country you are in, and how much income you lost.

3 Likes

Congratulations. I also received a grant. Grateful for it, but wish every Superhost could get it too.

1 Like

We are in Australia. It’s a bit hard to be precise about how much income we lost specifically due to Covid-19, because just prior to that we also lost a significant amount of income due to the Australian bushfire crisis. The two crises happened pretty much one straight after the other.

But, in round figures (and in US dollars) I would estimate we have lost perhaps $12,000 in bookings in the last few months specifically due to Covid-19, and we received about $3,000 in the grant.

Of course, the grant doesn’t come close to replacing our losses, but that is not its purpose - it will certainly go a long way towards helping us survive financially until we are able to accept bookings again.

3 Likes

That truly sucks.

Thanks for sharing information with us.

Our order of disastrous events in Northern New South Wales Australia, were bushfires from July 19 to January 20, then flooding Feb 20 and the virus from March 20, hopefully that is the three unlucky things taken care of and onwards and upwards from now on!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry you were hit with a double-whammy.

I believe that AirBnB is comparing what you made in March 2019 to March 2020. I don’t think they were looking at how much you lost in cancellations, but who really knows with AirBnB. I did not have any cancellations (I had been closed for an off-season renovation when Covid-19 hit) and still received a small grant. I’m not trying to be contrarian, but just help clarify.

Yes, we got flooded as well. But we tend to forget about that one, because in the grand scheme of things, that was fairly minor catastrophe - and it did at least help bring the drought in our area to an end.

2020 has certainly been a heck of a year so far. And it’s not even half over yet :frowning:

Hi! Could you tell me how long it took from the time you applied for the grant to when they approved? I applied Friday after receiving the invite. I am about to bring a 3rd listing on which then renders me ineligible. I told my client it would get listed today 6/1 and now I’m wondering if I can delay that just a few days and not make my client angry but still be eligible. They said up to 2 weeks…just looking for a timeline. Thanks!

Yes, from memory, it was about 2 weeks.

I am reporting in that I got an invitation last week to apply for the Superhost Relief Fund. Today I got notice that my application was approved. It was more than I ever expected and I am astounded beyond belief. I hope everyone else gets an infite and some money too.

3 Likes

Glad to read that deserving folks are recipients. “Congratulations!” in these times isn’t the right word but I’m happy for you. I have personally benefited from your advice despite the big differences in our rentals. Every time I’ve tagged you to help a member here you have responded as well as my messages to you.

Thank you.

1 Like