Superhost credits- do they add up?

I received the $100 credit for being a SuperHost 4 quarters in a row for Q1 2018, the credit had a March 2019 expiry date. It appears I just got it again for Q2, but when I look at the coupon, the site wants me to accept the coupon or choose something else, but there is nothing else to choose. I have not yet claimed the coupon as I want to see what happened to the prior one.
I don’t see two coupons for a total of $200.
I just went through acting like I was going to book a neighbor’s home, no $100 credit.

It’s only one credit per year, not per quarter, as I understand it. Some folks have reported getting two credits in a year though so I could be wrong.

As for the confusing messages from Airbnb, I’ve no idea. The SH part of the site is buggy or glitchy due, no doubt, to the changes being implemented.

So, the email in April said, “Yay, you get a credit” and now the email in July says the same thing, but the credit has an expiry of March. I could not earn $400 in credits this year, only the same $100 credit is touted repeatedly?

The credits are NOT usually cumulative. They want you to use it within 6 months or a year. The idea being, I think, to get some of the hosts who have never stayed at an Air listing, to see what life is like on the “other side of the bed” as it were.

I personally believe that no one should be allowed to host without spending a minimum of 2-4 nights at at least 6 or 8 different listings. It will give you an entirely new perspective…

3 Likes

what kind of perspective?
I hate staying in anybody else’s place…I personally prefer a hotel.
( but I have used ABB 2 x - once 8 years ago in San Miguel de Allende when price was very critical, and once last month for 2 nights with my Super Host coupon in Princeton NJ for graduation to avoid the super expensive hotels )
I have 5 star houses, and I can not imagine what staying someplace would teach me. And I would never stay in a rental house with a big group. Not my style.

2 Likes

I think we can always learn as hosts @georgygirlofairbnb regardless of how great we feel our own places may be. Just because we might have five star places and superhost status doesn’t mean there are other ways of doing things, that might make for an even better experience that we haven’t yet thought of.

I always get something out of staying at another Airbnb. It gives me a better understanding of what it is like to stay at someone else’s home. Things I like about host interaction or small personal touches that I might not have thought of myself. And equally things I didn’t like or found challenging about the check in process or communication.

3 Likes

Very thoughtful response; from that perspective I hear you…
I travel often …I am a travel agent part time… and I focus on upper end properties, experiences, clientle , land and river, (and sometimes better cruise.)
When I travel I am alert and engaged and inquisitive. My job is to focus and compare hospitality offerings.
I bring back to my properties touches that I might not have thought of myself…
and I look for other ways of doing things, that might make for an even better guest experience that I haven’t thought of.
Traveling gives me an understanding of what it is like to be away from the comfort of my own surroundings, but in a upscale environment, from which I often copy and bring into my own homes.
I pay attention to mgt and staff interaction and communications and methods of dealing with problems and issues and responding to complaints.
Without being argumentative nor contentious, I guess my point is that it is not necessary to stay in another Airbnb in order to be aware, be committed, be on top of the game, and be successful. There are many ways to skin a cat.
Thank you for being openminded.

I do agree that staying in Airbnbs is a good thing to do. Understanding how search works from a guest point of view (in a town with lots of airbnbs it sucks) has been very valuable. For example just last night Jacquo mentioned about the private entrance information we can enter as hosts. But that is not a filter available for guests. Seeing the booking and review process first hand makes me a more empathetic host. One can certainly learn by reading about something rather than doing it but nothing beats experience.

P.S. Once more I am trying to plan a trip to SC, I’m PMing you.

1 Like

I agree with @georgygirlofairbnb - it depends on the property and the owner.

I totally agree, Helsi. We have stayed in 7 Airbnb properties now, some were ‘entire place’ apartments and a couple were a room within a large house (very similar to our own listing). I’ve taken away many valuable tips and ideas from them all and think our own listing is better for having stayed in other places and met with other hosts. :blush: