Suggestions on receiving a 3 star rating and having to write a review

Terrible! And according to Air we are not allowed to discriminate based on age. She sounds ghastly!

1 Like

As I said - after I read her review I talked to AirBnB and they sent me a follow-up e-mail and so responded to that and sent them the screenshots of the text messages I received from Niya, I also told them I feel she should be banned from AirBnB because no other host should have to put up with what I just went through with her.

2 Likes

I’m sorry this was your first experience. What have Airbnb said about the insults? Will this guest be banned?

1 Like

I’m not sure - I haven’t talked to AirBnB since I sent the e-mail containing copies of the text messages. When I talked to them directly on the phone it was just about the review itself because I hadn’t gotten the text messages yet. I didn’t get those until about an hour and half later when Niya read my review to her. I am wondering what AirBnB truly thinks of this. I wish they would follow up with me - but I have a feeling they won’t. At this point I feel it is all a form of harassment - with the reviews and then to also be getting text messages from her as well.

With the way she is acting it crossed my mind - what happens if she has friends who book just to try causing further problems. She just seems to be a nutcase at this point and I don’t know if this is truly over or if there is more to come. I hope this is the end of her. I obviously marked her as not wanting to rent to her again - but that doesn’t mean someone else can’t book. I think it is probably slim and that most likely this is behind me - but who really knows.

I did get a booking tonight and an inquiry as well - so her review doesn’t seem to have hurt me at all.

1 Like

I just looked at the individual star ratings Niya gave me on things

I have 13 total ratings/reviews at this moment including Niya’s and this is how they compare…

Overall: Niya - 3 stars; others thirteen 5 stars (not sure why I have one more overall rating than detailed ratings)
Cleanliness: Niya - 2 stars; others nine 5 stars, three 4 stars
Accuracy: Niya - 2 stars; others ten 5 stars, two 4 stars
Value: Niya - 3 stars; others eleven 5 stars; one 4 star (remember she paid $12 a night for the room for three people :slight_smile: )
Communication: Niya - 4 stars; others twelve 5 stars
Arrivals: Niya - 4 stars; others twelve 5 stars

Cabinhost - I agree - I probably should have left off the “while they were friendly and nice” part at the end of my review. The thing is - to my face while they were here, they always say hi and thank you and asked if they could use something - of course that also included asking to use my car as well. I hope I listed the issues well enough for any host to think twice before welcoming these people though.

It is funny that you mentioned about people reading or not reading reviews. When someone books with me - I not only look at the guest’s reviews, I then search on the host’s page for what the guest has left as a review - if any.

1 Like

Lol English as a 1st language here, Penn state must have really dropped their standards :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You are better than these twits @JerseyDevil

3 Likes

Well Niya’s review doesn’t seem to have hurt me at all - because someone just booked for tonight till the 31st. Last night I got a booking for April 10th - 18th. I also had an inquiry last night for the summer, but sadly that won’t work because the person had back surgery and wouldn’t be able to sleep on the air mattress. Obviously she didn’t read Niya’s review because when she asked if her 3 year old grandson would be able to stay with her, I told that I have a queen size air mattress and a dog that was when she found out. I do put in the listing that it is a queen size air mattress.

1 Like

Right…me too. But we are hosts and know the ins and outs. And many hosts don’t even know how to search for past reviews guests have left. I was referring to hosts who are afraid to leave a negative guest review and think future travelers will view the host as petty. Since a guest can’t see all of the reviews we have left at a glance, the average traveler isn’t going to have a clue how to hunt for them. And even if they have used Air a lot, the average person won’t care as long as the host has plenty of good review.

This is appalling. Beyond acceptable and way over the top.
I absolutely hope ABB takes some action or steps against this - it is downright frightening.
Please keep us posted.

1 Like

I’ve left only two scathing guest reviews in my 7.5 years on Air. Neither person harassed me with messages after the fact about it. I think this girl deserves to be kicked off for this behavior. I’m beginning to doubt whether she really is the scholar she claims she is.

1 Like

Yeah - she seems VERY immature for what she claims on her LinkedIn page. Her photo on there looks very professional. Personally I can’t even believe that AirBnB allowed her photo that she has on their site because she has a bright light behind her so you can’t even see her face or anything.

I have seen comments here with people claiming that AirBnB too often sides with guests and throws hosts under the bus. This whole situation is over the top though with her attitude and what she did while she stayed here.

Oh my that is horrendous!! It’s horrible you had to encounter this imbecile!

Yeah she needs kicked out and a kick up the a**. Terrible behaviour!

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better about all this and it will most likely hurt Niya more than it will me. Mine is the only review for her. Although she registered with AirBnB back in July 2016, there are no other reviews. I’m not sure if she ever stayed anywhere else and they just chose not to review her or not.

I was initially concerned that since I had only started hosting back in December that people would actually believe her review and stop booking. Ironically - since her review was posted, I have had three new bookings the last two days. :slight_smile: . Two that will fill up the final week of March and another for the second week of April.

Since I had others booked for the two weeks after Niya left, I purposely waited until the final day to put my review in for her so hers would NOT be the first one people see.

I just need to keep doing for all future guests what I had been doing for the 15 previous guests who gave me 5 star reviews and ignore Niya’s 3 star. Now that I see what she wrote - it is obvious that nothing I could have done would have satisfied her. What she was looking for was a Caribbean vacation at a Jersey Shore in the Middle of Winter cost and she still expected all the things we have in the summer to be available when it is 30 degrees outside.

Just so people can see - this is my place she gave 2 stars for location…
Peaceful Getaway in the Heart of the Jersey Shore

BTW - even in the title, I say it is a PEACEFUL GETAWAY. While during the summer there are Seaside Heights and Pt Pleasant and all the other Jersey Shore activities to see, my house is located in a quiet community.

3 Likes

Having read Niya’s review on your listing, along with your other great ones, she just comes across as an immature, uneducated little brat. There’s no way it would put me off booking as a guest.

2 Likes

You can’t even make heads or tails out of what she is saying!!! Ridickalass.

Robert… you should raise your rates, that’s too cheap for a room. You will burn out working for peanuts! :laughing:

Your Halloween decor is da bomb! House is so cute!

I agree with @Gardenhost, her review makes her look bad, not you. It wouldn’t put me off booking. One thing I did notice is that you have a photo of a TV in you listing. If you don’t offer TV, you might want to remove that or guests may expect it.

1 Like

I just left an “average” review for a guest and she cancelled her (verified) account. I contacted Airbnb and they agreed with me that she had cancelled it because she didn’t like my review but they couldn’t promise she couldn’t re-open another account.

She messaged me everyday for 5 days for an early check in and late check out - doesn’t everyone…it drives me crazy.

This is what she had received in my itinerary and I sent to her twice more as she kept asking:
An earlier or later check in/out can only be confirmed on the day or the evening before as it is dependent on whether there is another guest staying that morning/afternoon.
Therefore, if you want to request a change to the normal check in/check out time please message me the evening before or the same day or and I will message you back the availability.

Then I sent her this: The cleaner has just sent me through her time schedule for your stay.
In relation to your check in tomorrow she will message me when it is ready and I will message you here.
For your check out Sunday morning she is planning to arrive at 11.30am so you are welcome to stay until then.

She still kept messaging me wanting to check in on the day. When I did say she could check in 3 hours earlier I didn’t receive an acknowledgment let alone a thanks. She cooked up a storm and left all the cooking stuff everywhere. This is a self contained apartment.

This is what I wrote: “I have had easier guests, she was a little pushy and a little messy but apart from that she was ok.” I did give her the “thumbs up”, so didn’t feel I was too harsh.

And then she cancelled her account.

1 Like

Infuriating. I think if someone instant booked me and then harangued me about early check in for 5 days in a row I’d cancel their reservation saying I wasn’t comfortable with them.

1 Like